Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 125970 times)

jspain

Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #210 on: December 05, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »
1981er,

I live out in the middle of no where! It is not uncommon for my electric to go out. I have a 6500 watt generator that I can hook directly into my breaker box to supply the needs of my home when the electric is out. I am very careful to not have anymore items on at one time then I must when I'm using my generator. My wife's happy because she gets to take a shower since the well pump works this way. For many years I just ran cords (no well pump) to what I needed until I FINALLY did a direct into the breaker box. The Sono does not use much electric. It's just the blower/electronics that needs the electric. The propane supplies the heat. I have roasted many times with my generator supplying the electric with no problems.

I believe the Sono shines with the dry process greens. It does well with wet process too, but I believe she shines with naturals.

Good luck!  Jim
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:49:04 PM by jspain »

Tex

« Reply #211 on: December 05, 2011, 04:43:08 PM »
Anyone using the Sono with an electric generator and if so any recs?

BTW I'm about 30 roasts in with a wide variety of beans and one of my fave so far is Klatch's FTO Mex Union.

Anyone with favorite beans from the known suppliers (SM, Klatch, Shrub)?  I'd like to try some of the shrub beans but based on the fact that some beans do better than others I'm wary of buying 30# + of a bean I might not be happy with.

I tested the Sono with a small Honda 2000w generator, just in case I wanted to take it to the farmers market. Since the Sono only uses ~3 amps it worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the market wouldn't allow generators of any kind. >:(

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #212 on: December 05, 2011, 05:52:03 PM »

BTW I'm about 30 roasts in with a wide variety of beans and one of my fave so far is Klatch's FTO Mex Union.

Anyone with favorite beans from the known suppliers (SM, Klatch, Shrub)?  I'd like to try some of the shrub beans but based on the fact that some beans do better than others I'm wary of buying 30# + of a bean I might not be happy with.

I tested the Sono with a small Honda 2000w generator, just in case I wanted to take it to the farmers market. Since the Sono only uses ~3 amps it worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the market wouldn't allow generators of any kind. >:(

Got another Flea Market near by that does?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #213 on: December 05, 2011, 06:22:38 PM »

Too much competition from too many wanna be's, all chasing a customer base that asks if you have Irish Cream flavored coffee?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2011, 05:55:02 AM »

Too much competition from too many wanna be's, all chasing a customer base that asks if you have Irish Cream flavored coffee?

Not exactly the type of coffee aficionados you are likely pursuing.

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #215 on: December 12, 2011, 03:32:46 PM »
Well, my worst fears have been realized.  My Sonofresco arrived today courtesy of UPS and lo and behold it's damaged.  Seller had UPS pack and ship it just to avoid damage (at a cost to me of $102).  Hopefully, the seller can get some relief from UPS.

In the meantime, I'm looking for help on maybe fixing this bad boy.  The damage is to the stanchion on the right hand side facing the machine.  It is bent pretty badly toward the machine.  This makes inserting the roast chamber/chaff collector virtually impossible.  In addition, I ma unable to attach the smoke unit to the top since the stanchions won't seperate enough.  I gave a half hearted pull on the bent stanchion, but there was a lot of resistance and I surely don't want to be accused of causing the damage.

Would it make any sense to remove the top of the unit to get at a spot where the stanchion attaches to the unit?  Would this be a welded joint? Screwed in?  Anybody ever open the hood of this thing?

Bob Feuker

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #216 on: December 12, 2011, 03:36:09 PM »
This UPS breakage thing is starting to turn in to a meme around here. That bites, rfeuker. I hope you took lots of pictures before you unpacked it, and I wouldn't touch it until you get the breakage fixed to your satisfaction.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 03:37:54 PM by grinderz »
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #217 on: December 12, 2011, 03:47:50 PM »
I pulled mine apart when I got it. Very simple to work on and I would be surprised if it was actually bent.
Unscrew the temp sensor, unscrew the top plate that the señor bolts to, remove the screw from the other pole and pull gently on the wires to access the temp plug. Unplug and put sensor to the side. Unscrew all 6 top brass screws holding the top plate on. It should lift right up.

Then remove all the screws around the control panel all screws on the side and use an Allen key to remove the lever. You should now be able to remove the red casing and see where the rod bolts up.

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
« Reply #218 on: December 12, 2011, 04:03:56 PM »
Well, my worst fears have been realized.  My Sonofresco arrived today courtesy of UPS and lo and behold it's damaged.  Seller had UPS pack and ship it just to avoid damage (at a cost to me of $102).  Hopefully, the seller can get some relief from UPS.

In the meantime, I'm looking for help on maybe fixing this bad boy.  The damage is to the stanchion on the right hand side facing the machine.  It is bent pretty badly toward the machine.  This makes inserting the roast chamber/chaff collector virtually impossible.  In addition, I ma unable to attach the smoke unit to the top since the stanchions won't seperate enough.  I gave a half hearted pull on the bent stanchion, but there was a lot of resistance and I surely don't want to be accused of causing the damage.

Would it make any sense to remove the top of the unit to get at a spot where the stanchion attaches to the unit?  Would this be a welded joint? Screwed in?  Anybody ever open the hood of this thing?

Update:
Ok, now I am thoroughly embarrased.  I just pulled up hard on the lever meant to raise the smoke box and, lo and behold, a miracle happened!  The "bent" stanchion straightened right out.  With all apologies to UPS - this time they got it right.  Sorry for sounding the alarm, but I am really wanting to get this baby up and running and I panicked.  Thanks for the replies guys.

Bob Feuker

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
« Reply #219 on: December 14, 2011, 08:51:02 AM »
My new Sonofesco is about ready to go.  Parts are soaking in Cafiza today while I'm at work and I should get down to some serious roasting tomorrow. 

My first project is to roast 5# of the El Salvador Cerro de Las Ranos "for the troops".  My plan is to start with 20 ounces and use setting 4.  If anyone has any other thoughts/ideas on getting the first few roasts under my belt please share them.
Bob Feuker

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #220 on: December 14, 2011, 09:09:22 AM »
Choose a higher setting and just cut the gas when you get to the right spot in the roast. Everything else is easy :)

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
« Reply #221 on: December 14, 2011, 09:25:14 AM »
Choose a higher setting and just cut the gas when you get to the right spot in the roast. Everything else is easy :)

Are you suggesting a higher setting like "5" or higher setting like "9"?
Bob Feuker

Tex

« Reply #222 on: December 14, 2011, 09:27:40 AM »

+1

Since all profiles are the same, only the end temp is critical. You can pick any of the higher programs and simply roast by sound. But, I've found it's easier to drop a type K bead-end thermocouple into the lower third of the gyrating bean mass and roast to a temp.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #223 on: December 14, 2011, 09:33:08 AM »
I use 6 but I never go past 20 seconds into 2nd. I have a friend that likes a darker roast.

jimbo

« Reply #224 on: December 14, 2011, 09:47:39 AM »
My new Sonofesco is about ready to go.  Parts are soaking in Cafiza today while I'm at work and I should get down to some serious roasting tomorrow. 

My first project is to roast 5# of the El Salvador Cerro de Las Ranos "for the troops".  My plan is to start with 20 ounces and use setting 4.  If anyone has any other thoughts/ideas on getting the first few roasts under my belt please share them.

Hopefully right behind you on this.  My roaster should be sitting on the porch.  Unfortunately, I am in Toronto, and headed to California.  So, it'll be a week or so before I get to it.  Asked my daughter to take a close look at it in case UPS does their infamous "package-smash" dance.

Jim