Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 125911 times)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #270 on: January 30, 2012, 03:27:26 PM »
Yup, 10 min for second crack is quite normal on mine.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #271 on: April 02, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »

interesting observation today at a local (doughnut) donut place with sonofresco roaster..  we rode our bikes the long 4 mile round trip to have fresh cream filled donuts and fresh roasted coffee (I know, more calories in the donut than in the 4 miles) as the roaster was going I noticed it click and the entire bean mass would bounce.. as the roast developed it became less of a click like a solenoid and more like a thump of built up gas finally igniting..   I warned the young man working there to advise the owner he may want it checked out but I am curious what you sono users think of my symptoms and prognoses..

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #272 on: April 03, 2012, 03:33:53 AM »
A little bounce isn't an issue and it will shut off if it fails to ignite.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #273 on: April 03, 2012, 03:47:57 AM »

do you know?? is there an electric igniter/sparker that lights the gas each time or a glow pug/pilot that is just on??  I am thinking its the igniter and its not as efficient as new..  I have roasted on a sono heard the thump but this was a pretty big thump at times..

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #274 on: April 03, 2012, 04:25:47 AM »
I was just guessing but there is an igniter in there that clicks rapidly till it ignites. They do go bad but it would be hard to say if there was an issue without seeing it.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #275 on: April 03, 2012, 04:48:55 AM »

do you know?? is there an electric igniter/sparker that lights the gas each time or a glow pug/pilot that is just on??  I am thinking its the igniter and its not as efficient as new..  I have roasted on a sono heard the thump but this was a pretty big thump at times..

ignitor, they have something called the MCU I have had them go bad before. Also when the thermocouple goes bad I have noticed the bean bounce etc...
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

jspain

« Reply #276 on: April 03, 2012, 04:51:59 AM »

Bill,

There is an ignighter in the front of the machine. It does make a loud pop when it lights. The gas ignites. The first time I used mine I "wondered" about that but then after reading more and using I found it to be normal. I believe the beans did bounce a bit more during ignition......  jim

yankeeNH

« Reply #277 on: April 03, 2012, 07:30:45 AM »

Bill,

There is an ignighter in the front of the machine. It does make a loud pop when it lights. The gas ignites. The first time I used mine I "wondered" about that but then after reading more and using I found it to be normal. I believe the beans did bounce a bit more during ignition......  jim

Yup, I concur. Particularly on the 2 lbs. model, the ignition can be a little unnerving at first, then you realize it's normal. Mine has always done that for 3 yrs. now...sometimes it's a little louder than others.

Tex

« Reply #278 on: April 03, 2012, 07:53:43 AM »
I think the puff of ignition has to do with the regulator. When I first bought a Sono I was using the regulator from the BBQ. When I bought a dedicated regulator for the Sono the puffs began, so I figured the regulator was adjusted to the high side of acceptable?

yankeeNH

« Reply #279 on: April 03, 2012, 08:05:45 AM »
I think the puff of ignition has to do with the regulator. When I first bought a Sono I was using the regulator from the BBQ. When I bought a dedicated regulator for the Sono the puffs began, so I figured the regulator was adjusted to the high side of acceptable?

Hard to say—when I first got my 2 pounder it was plumbed directly to a propane tank by the gas company. Now that I'm using it at home, I use the BBQ regulators and I haven't noticed a difference…dunno.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #280 on: April 03, 2012, 10:05:12 AM »

Sono told me that the one they sell is the same as a bbq regulator. No difference in settings.

Tex

« Reply #281 on: April 03, 2012, 10:26:29 AM »

Sono told me that the one they sell is the same as a bbq regulator. No difference in settings.

Anything as cheap as a propane regulator has pretty wide manufacturing tolerances. My suspicion is the  former regulator was at one edge of the envelope, and the latter regulator was at the other edge.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #282 on: April 03, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »
this one is on natural gas I believe.. its not the click or the typical sono thump of gas igniting that concerns me..  its a bigger thump that I am feeling as much as hearing.. maybe I need to get my ears checked??  well just curious.. I suggested they get it checked out, it is a lease deal through there bean supplier.. I will sit at the other end of the donut shop from now on, just to be safe ;-)

Offline hobiwankinobi

• Standard User
« Reply #283 on: April 04, 2012, 06:33:26 PM »
I read this whole thread two days ago. And just caught up with the fresh stuff, I am wondering about a few things? Those of you who sell coffee roasted with the Sono, and have maybe SC/TO or Drum roaster experience too. Do you feel that the coffee's can sing with the Sono? Or do you feel, as some have stated in this thread,  since there is no profiling available with the Sono you cant bring out those hidden gems of flavor that cuppers (our own and others like SM or Klatch) point out with gusto in their offerings? In essence do you who have the experience of both drum and Sono feel the Sono is up for the challenge of every coffee? Or only the DP as a few have stated. Then I would have to look elsewhere for the WP Roasting. Maybe with my SC/TO. How much coffee does a shop go through?

I ask because I have no money to speak of, but I am getting in on the ground floor of a coffee shop in my hometown. The man opening the shop loves my coffee (SC/TO) and wants me to supply his new shop. I am not wanting to go there with my SC/TO. The 2# Sono looks like a good inexpensive option. He didnt seem thrilled about the idea of even a 3 kilo roaster @ 5-8,000. Or whatever one can find on ebay/craigslist. But he seemed to think ~2,000 was ok.

Steve

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #284 on: April 05, 2012, 09:11:23 AM »
I read this whole thread two days ago. And just caught up with the fresh stuff, I am wondering about a few things? Those of you who sell coffee roasted with the Sono, and have maybe SC/TO or Drum roaster experience too. Do you feel that the coffee's can sing with the Sono? Or do you feel, as some have stated in this thread,  since there is no profiling available with the Sono you cant bring out those hidden gems of flavor that cuppers (our own and others like SM or Klatch) point out with gusto in their offerings? In essence do you who have the experience of both drum and Sono feel the Sono is up for the challenge of every coffee? Or only the DP as a few have stated. Then I would have to look elsewhere for the WP Roasting. Maybe with my SC/TO. How much coffee does a shop go through?

I ask because I have no money to speak of, but I am getting in on the ground floor of a coffee shop in my hometown. The man opening the shop loves my coffee (SC/TO) and wants me to supply his new shop. I am not wanting to go there with my SC/TO. The 2# Sono looks like a good inexpensive option. He didnt seem thrilled about the idea of even a 3 kilo roaster @ 5-8,000. Or whatever one can find on ebay/craigslist. But he seemed to think ~2,000 was ok.

Steve

You have a few Dynamics you are working with:

1. Does the Sonofresco bring out the flavors in coffee? = Yes probably better than any roaster for its size and price.
2. SC/Co compared- No comparison, I was one of the early adopters, tried it for 6 months and although my opinion is contrary to Peter and BW among its loyal followers I am not a fan.
3. lack of profiling? It has 10 presets that would do anything that you would do manually and you can still somewhat manually roast by shutting off the gas early if you want a semi-custom roast. I have owned mine for 6 years or so and haven't seen the need. But the benefit of this roaster is that you don't have to hover over it turning knobs and such, it is mostly automated and you can see the roast develop.
4. A commercial roaster of any kind isn't for someone who doesn't have money it is for business, so as long as you understand that the sonofresco isn't a "prosumer" roaster but a small commercial roaster then you should be in the right mind set. I have had nothing but #1 Sonofrescos and I have not seen the ned for a 2# as I can roast back to back and watch TV at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:14:01 AM by Joe »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37