Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 125807 times)

Burner0000

Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #375 on: October 02, 2013, 06:02:51 AM »
After 2 hours of elbow grease I was finally able to adjust the valve.. I must have an old model roaster because there was no hole under the roaster to adjust the valve. I had to rip the entire roaster apart. Disconnecting the gas line myself was a bit freaky.  I kept sniffing around for traces of natural gas leaking.  I shut off the gas line and fired up the roaster empty for about 1 min to dry out the gas line.  Now that everything i hooked back up and cleaned do I need to do anything fancy when I fire it up now with the gas valve open a bit more? I'm a bit nervous.. I guess what I am really asking is is there any sign or sound that may tell if I turned up the valve to high?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 06:04:58 AM by Burner0000 »

sgreen

« Reply #376 on: October 02, 2013, 06:14:12 AM »
The regulator on the valve is a little redundant. Check this out yourself (Google), but your natural gas line should be regulated to about 7.5" WG (water column). You'll be passing 7" to your burner.

You could test the regulator and set it precisely with a Dwyer Magnehelic gauge. (Google search again) or just roast a pound of beans and see what happens. I'd shoot for 1st crack somewhere between 6-8 minutes?

More experienced Sonofresco guys, feel free to chime in with your times.

If you are significantly out of that range dial the pressure up or down accordingly.

I would probably drill that hole to make the whole process easier than tearing the machine down repeatedly to adjust that spring.

Burner0000

« Reply #377 on: October 02, 2013, 06:18:39 AM »
The regulator on the valve is a little redundant. Check this out yourself (Google), but your natural gas line should be regulated to about 7.5" WG (water column). You'll be passing 7" to your burner.

You could test the regulator and set it precisely with a Dwyer Magnehelic gauge. (Google search again) or just roast a pound of beans and see what happens. I'd shoot for 1st crack somewhere between 6-8 minutes?

More experienced Sonofresco guys, feel free to chime in with your times.

If you are significantly out of that range dial the pressure up or down accordingly.

I would probably drill that hole to make the whole process easier than tearing the machine down repeatedly to adjust that spring.

For sure. :) If I need to adjust again then I will drill to access the valve.  Does anybody know the location of that valve via length and width measurements of the bottom of the roaster?

I'll see where some Sumatra gets me tonight.  :) 

sgreen

« Reply #378 on: October 02, 2013, 06:32:12 AM »
Sorry, I don't have one here to measure.

Once you have the valve out though, it should be pretty easy to figure out.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #379 on: October 02, 2013, 03:41:15 PM »
Odd, the valve adjustment should already be exposed. I guess if it was an older model but that would be surprising because it can only be adjust correctly with the case fully installed due to the control of the airflow through the case.

Burner0000

« Reply #380 on: October 03, 2013, 08:13:48 AM »
Odd, the valve adjustment should already be exposed. I guess if it was an older model but that would be surprising because it can only be adjust correctly with the case fully installed due to the control of the airflow through the case.

Well with the model I got the valve faces down..  Sean at Sono is looking into a retrofit but I think I will just get my hands on a whole new bottom eventually when I decide to do an overhaul before actually using it full commercial. 

So far I need
- All new hex screws
- Top plate gasket
- Temp sensor plugs
- Bottom plate

Is anybody using a filter for the back of the roaster?

Update: I roasted a successful batch of Sumatra.  I roasted a full 666 g on #6 and got a nice Vienna roast.  I noticed the temp was rising a lot quicker now.  I think cleaning the MCU helped a lot. Thx everyone!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:00:20 AM by Burner0000 »

Burner0000

« Reply #381 on: October 09, 2013, 08:36:09 AM »
Bump to one of my earlier questions before I had issues with the valve.. I'm looking at the sono sample roaster.  Can I just use a sample chamber with my current 1 lb to roast samples?  My SR500 is great for small sampling but sometimes I don't have time to roast multiple samples at a given time.  This would help huge. 

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #382 on: October 09, 2013, 10:24:12 AM »
Bump to one of my earlier questions before I had issues with the valve.. I'm looking at the sono sample roaster.  Can I just use a sample chamber with my current 1 lb to roast samples?  My SR500 is great for small sampling but sometimes I don't have time to roast multiple samples at a given time.  This would help huge.

I would check the dimensions and if it is the same size then yes. However I think you could probably just make a PID'd poppery or such to handle the task.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #383 on: October 09, 2013, 12:35:37 PM »
I would just ask them, they have been very open to these types of questions when I call them.

Burner0000

« Reply #384 on: October 09, 2013, 12:36:20 PM »
Cool. I will do so. :)

jspain

« Reply #385 on: October 09, 2013, 06:22:43 PM »
Cool. I will do so. :)

Burner0000,

Let us know what you find out? Thanks

Burner0000

« Reply #386 on: December 05, 2013, 07:00:58 AM »
FYI Sonofreso owners.

The new ADR control board for all Sonofresco models is available via the Sonofresco website.

The board comes with the new stainless steel temp sensor as well.  Cost is $450 + shipping.

Link: http://www.sonofresco.com/advanced-definition-roasting/

jspain

« Reply #387 on: December 05, 2013, 07:25:22 AM »
FYI Sonofreso owners.

The new ADR control board for all Sonofresco models is available via the Sonofresco website.

The board comes with the new stainless steel temp sensor as well.  Cost is $450 + shipping.

Link: http://www.sonofresco.com/advanced-definition-roasting/

THANKS for the update!

Offline CoffeeCarl

• Standard User
« Reply #388 on: December 06, 2013, 03:29:34 PM »
Interesting, I'd love to buy one but, is anyone here gonna be the first to try it and report back?
Has their been any feedback or testing?

Carl

Burner0000

« Reply #389 on: December 06, 2013, 04:07:26 PM »
I got an email from another roaster informing me of the upgrade being available. He just purchased it. Hopefully I'll hear back about it soon.