Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 125837 times)

sashazane

Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #405 on: December 12, 2013, 08:29:33 PM »
my mission with this software is to slow the roasting process.. a gentler beginning slope of the graph curve..
 From what I gather, what is missing with an air roaster is the  slow start, warming of the beans.. getting them prepped in the vessel.
So, I want to slow the beginning and finish around 11:00min. (start the cooling process).
I'm not sure that it is possible with the aggressive nature of fluid bed technology.
But, like everything in life, time will tell. Of course I am new to it all, it's just the training i've had from drum roasters that tell me this.          (always suspicious of air roasters)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:21:31 PM by sashazane »

sashazane

« Reply #406 on: December 12, 2013, 11:26:05 PM »
I'm thinking this is closer to a curve that I would like to use.
(that last one looks good, the beans are a nice espresso color, only time will tell for the rest.)

yankeeNH

« Reply #407 on: December 13, 2013, 08:31:30 AM »
I've been working with Sonofresco on getting some Mac bugs worked out. Seems the Bluetooth code is using a library not used in the latest version of MacOS (10.9), so I'm going to try to install 10.7 in a new partition and see if it works.

If you are currently using a Mac with this software, be aware that upgrading your OS will probably stop things dead in their tracks. They are working on compiling a new Mac installer and updated Bluetooth code, but at least there seems to be a workaround in the meantime. Not sure when I'll get a chance to do this as I'm roasting for a big market in the morning but will keep things updated here as I learn more.

***UPDATE***

I was able to install my old 10.6.8 version of MacOS in a new partition and I was able to get everything to work. This is a workaround for now to be sure, but at least I can now use the thing. Uploaded a new profile tonight, but haven't roasted on it yet... Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:34:51 PM by yankeeNH »

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #408 on: December 13, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »
Has anybody been able to log bean temp drops during gas cycling? I'm personally not worried because of how fast it cycles on and off but I'm really curious.

This was me dialing in the gas valve and I used a bead type k thermocouple.

sashazane

« Reply #409 on: December 26, 2013, 03:53:37 PM »
new roast profile, I am happy with the longer roast time and not as hot in the beginning.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #410 on: December 26, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »
Looks like or isn't following the curve as close as it should. Might mean the gas valve needs adjustment.

sashazane

« Reply #411 on: December 27, 2013, 05:26:04 AM »
good thought!
I am happy with the longer roast cycle.. 14:40

kboom1

« Reply #412 on: December 30, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »
Hello guys,
I'm thinking of buying the new Sonofresco ADR profile sample roaster. How does it compare to drum roasted coffee and how is the new profiling software working out? I called Sono today and found out that the sample roaster no longer uses the sectioned insert and a stronger blower but instead a damper to control the air and a standard blower. Sample will roast only 1 120g batch or a 1lb batch. I never used a fluid bed roaster before so looking for some input before ordering it.
Thanks for the input. ;)

1981er

« Reply #413 on: February 14, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »
Would anyone be able to post a photo of the screw/ nut that can be adjusted to change the airflow?

Thanks!

Offline askat1988

• Standard User
« Reply #414 on: February 22, 2014, 05:09:12 PM »
Here is my new one pound machine with ADR.  I love it!

Espresso: Lelit Bianca
Grinder: KafaTek Monolith Conical

jspain

« Reply #415 on: February 23, 2014, 05:28:42 AM »
Congrats on the new Sono!!!! She looks great. The sample batch setting is interesting. Have you had luck doing smaller batches??

JW

« Reply #416 on: February 23, 2014, 05:53:02 AM »
Here is my new one pound machine with ADR.  I love it!

Awesome!!! Like Jim, I am curious about the sample size batch setting. Have you tried it out?

Offline askat1988

• Standard User
« Reply #417 on: February 23, 2014, 09:21:44 AM »
I have tried it out and it works pretty well, but it is only 120 gram, a bit small.  It does seem to be consistent with the larger batches, but I have not done enough roasting yet.  The small batch option and ADR put me over the edge for the Sono and I'm glad I went this route.  This thing was up and roasting in minutes and it was very easy to connect the laptop via Bluetooth.
I have played with the roasting curve and it definitely makes a difference, can slow down and speed up certain sections, just not on the fly, beforehand.
Espresso: Lelit Bianca
Grinder: KafaTek Monolith Conical

Burner0000

« Reply #418 on: February 23, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »
I have tried it out and it works pretty well, but it is only 120 gram, a bit small.  It does seem to be consistent with the larger batches, but I have not done enough roasting yet.  The small batch option and ADR put me over the edge for the Sono and I'm glad I went this route.  This thing was up and roasting in minutes and it was very easy to connect the laptop via Bluetooth.
I have played with the roasting curve and it definitely makes a difference, can slow down and speed up certain sections, just not on the fly, beforehand.

Sweet! 1/4 lb batches! I thought only 1 lb at min or at least according to their prop video.  I will for sure be swapping out my older model for a new one at some point.

Burner0000

« Reply #419 on: March 09, 2014, 08:14:31 AM »
What's the best way to clean everything from the body up can I dish wash everything including the chamber or should I soak in something like simple green.  My chaff screen is looking gross