Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 125908 times)

yankeeNH

Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #420 on: March 09, 2014, 09:35:15 AM »
I'm a fan of OxyClean (the unscented version—I can get it at Target) for the roasting chamber, chaff screen, chaff collector and wall. The roasting chamber will take some scrubbing or scraping with a razor blade, but it comes out looking great.

What's the best way to clean everything from the body up can I dish wash everything including the chamber or should I soak in something like simple green.  My chaff screen is looking gross

Burner0000

« Reply #421 on: March 09, 2014, 09:38:11 AM »
I'm a fan of OxyClean (the unscented version—I can get it at Target) for the roasting chamber, chaff screen, chaff collector and wall. The roasting chamber will take some scrubbing or scraping with a razor blade, but it comes out looking great.

What's the best way to clean everything from the body up can I dish wash everything including the chamber or should I soak in something like simple green.  My chaff screen is looking gross

Awesome!

So soak in hot water I assume then?  My roaster has a lot of wear and tear. I wanna clean and slowly upgrade incl a quieter fan and new sample switch and ADR. :)

yankeeNH

« Reply #422 on: March 09, 2014, 10:04:29 AM »

Awesome!

So soak in hot water I assume then?  My roaster has a lot of wear and tear. I wanna clean and slowly upgrade incl a quieter fan and new sample switch and ADR. :)

Yeah—I fill the sink with HOT water and 1/2 scoop of OxyClean and mix well to get it dissolved, then soak the screen and roasting chamber. The other pieces I'll soak as well, but not as long as the metal will discolor if left in too long. Truth be told, after about 10 minutes the gunk starts coming off really easily. You might want to wear some gloves though...the scrubbing (3M ScotchBrite works well) and the OxyClean will wreak havoc on your hands.

Burner0000

« Reply #423 on: March 09, 2014, 10:08:40 AM »

Awesome!

Yeah—I fill the sink with HOT water and 1/2 scoop of OxyClean and mix well to get it dissolved, then soak the screen and roasting chamber. The other pieces I'll soak as well, but not as long as the metal will discolor if left in too long. Truth be told, after about 10 minutes the gunk starts coming off really easily. You might want to wear some gloves though...the scrubbing (3M ScotchBrite works well) and the OxyClean will wreak havoc on your hands.

thx for the tips. :)

jspain

« Reply #424 on: March 09, 2014, 04:00:29 PM »
citric acid!

Burner0000

« Reply #425 on: March 09, 2014, 04:02:41 PM »
citric acid!

Will that alter the finish at all?  Or.. Mess up the champer at all?

jspain

« Reply #426 on: March 10, 2014, 05:03:02 AM »
citric acid!

Will that alter the finish at all?  Or.. Mess up the champer at all?

Roast chamber and parts, it works great, after hot water and soaking in the solution! I don't use it on painted surfaces.

Burner0000

« Reply #427 on: March 16, 2014, 08:47:05 AM »
citric acid!

Will that alter the finish at all?  Or.. Mess up the chamber at all?

Roast chamber and parts, it works great, after hot water and soaking in the solution! I don't use it on painted surfaces.

I don't want to soak the chamber in anything as per Sonofresco. It will loosen the bottom of the chamber and it will just drop out.  Could I maybe make some citric acid solution and apply with a rag to get the ring of gunk off the top of the roast chamber?  I ended up using simple green, hot water and a brass brush for everything else.  Oh man was my roaster gross.  I don't think the previous owner ever cleaned the stuff above the chamber.  All looks new now.  Just gotta make the chamber shine.

jspain

« Reply #428 on: March 16, 2014, 02:55:46 PM »
I'm sure Sono wants to keep the company line..... I don't want to be the guy that said, "Do it" and then you have an issue. I can only give you my practical experience with two Sonos. I soak the roast chamber in HOT water laced with citric acid. After a long soak I use a razor blade on any stains that did not scrub off. When I'm done it looks like new. On another tip, I've found using simple green after each days use has cut down on my need to soak in acid many fold.... ;)

Good luck,  jim

Burner0000

« Reply #429 on: March 16, 2014, 03:04:01 PM »
I'm sure Sono wants to keep the company line..... I don't want to be the guy that said, "Do it" and then you have an issue. I can only give you my practical experience with two Sonos. I soak the roast chamber in HOT water laced with citric acid. After a long soak I use a razor blade on any stains that did not scrub off. When I'm done it looks like new. On another tip, I've found using simple green after each days use has cut down on my need to soak in acid many fold.... ;)

Good luck,  jim

I may give it a try.  Just wondering. Will a green scouring pad etch the glass at all?  I've been able to get everything else off on the roaster with it. Even the chaff collector which was black.

jspain

« Reply #430 on: March 17, 2014, 05:20:28 AM »
If a razor blade doesn't scratch the glass I bet a green pad won't either.  :-\

Burner0000

« Reply #431 on: March 17, 2014, 05:23:44 AM »

Ok I'll try that first then if it's a no go I'll dunk it in descaling solution.  Thx for the help jspain!.  My roaster is lookin almost bran new.  I'll eventually need to gut it and clean the inside.  Possibly replace the fan.  It's working nicely I just feel it sounds louder than normal.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #432 on: March 17, 2014, 05:27:09 AM »
Sonofresco says to avoid dunking or getting the glass chamber too wet. The double sided tape that holds it together isn't designed to survive from solvents.

Burner0000

« Reply #433 on: March 17, 2014, 05:31:23 AM »
Sonofresco says to avoid dunking or getting the glass chamber too wet. The double sided tape that holds it together isn't designed to survive from solvents.

Sorry I meant to say dunk as in flip over the chamber and just dunk the top brim.  The rest of the chamber is pretty clean.  I am not worried about the bottom plate.  It's always gonna get dirty. I'd just like to clean off the top rim of the chamber which has a pretty dark ring around it.  Haven't gotten any luck with just a razor. 

Burner0000

« Reply #434 on: March 19, 2014, 07:36:35 AM »

It didn't. It helped shine up the glass all together.  I was able to get rid of the rig with a lot of simple green and a 3M green pad. Looks good and preforms better than before.