Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 125882 times)

jimbo

Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #435 on: March 29, 2014, 08:00:20 AM »
Boot Coffee is hosting some free videos in March, one series is on air roasting with the Sono and a comparison to a San Franciscan drum roaster.  The link to the videos is http://bootcampcoffee.com/sonofresco/, but if that doesn't work it's either no longer March or you may need to access it from their Mailchimp campaign link here:  http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f6414dc5489641b85a920030d&id=bdf0c1426d.

I haven't watched these videos yet.

I found the videos at http://bootcampcoffee.com/sonofresco/

Yakster, your link had a comma which broke it.  So, same link sans comma.  BTW, thanks for posting this!

I thought they were good videos, and for me it helped me better understand the value of the ADR.  I will probably invest in it as the finances allow.

Jimbo
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:02:27 AM by jimbo »

Burner0000

« Reply #436 on: June 17, 2014, 05:37:08 AM »
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem.. I recently bought a bunch of African coffee which I have on distro if anyone is interested. I noticed with all 3 that they were roasting darker than usual.. It's around 73'F in my house and more humid than usual. The temp probe I'm using is still pretty new. Only 1 yr old. Maybe 50 roasts on it. I roasted the Ethiopia Yirg Aricha at #3 (American Roast) and got almost Full City. It finished 1C.  Does African coffee just roast darker in appearance maybe?  I'm confused because up until the recent African coffee I had absolutely no problem with roasting or the preset settings. If anything I wasn't able to roast dark enough. 

Any suggestions?

jspain

« Reply #437 on: June 17, 2014, 07:56:54 AM »
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem.. I recently bought a bunch of African coffee which I have on distro if anyone is interested. I noticed with all 3 that they were roasting darker than usual.. It's around 73'F in my house and more humid than usual. The temp probe I'm using is still pretty new. Only 1 yr old. Maybe 50 roasts on it. I roasted the Ethiopia Yirg Aricha at #3 (American Roast) and got almost Full City. It finished 1C.  Does African coffee just roast darker in appearance maybe?  I'm confused because up until the recent African coffee I had absolutely no problem with roasting or the preset settings. If anything I wasn't able to roast dark enough. 

Any suggestions?

Trail and error on all origins and lots. Just accept what your found and dial back the setting. happens to me all the time. I find that Africans do have a "tendency" to roast a bit quicker. Naturals almost always need a lower setting. SHG generally needs more.....

Burner0000

« Reply #438 on: June 17, 2014, 08:30:12 AM »

[/quote]

Trail and error on all origins and lots. Just accept what your found and dial back the setting. happens to me all the time. I find that Africans do have a "tendency" to roast a bit quicker. Naturals almost always need a lower setting. SHG generally needs more.....
[/quote]

Hmm.. I think moving forward until I upgrade I'll just roast manually and aim for a specific temp and if I get close to one of the preset temps then I'll use that.  For the Ethiopian's second roast I had it set to 2 and had to kill the gas at 191'F to get an American Roast.

jspain

« Reply #439 on: June 17, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »
WOW! Your unit seems to be roasting way too hot! I have never gone that low....... :o

jimbo

« Reply #440 on: June 17, 2014, 08:44:49 AM »
FWIW, I never depend on the roaster.  I use a temp probe in the bean mass, and just keep an eye on things.  I watch the time, the temp, and listen for FC.  I then time from the start of FC and stop the roast when I reach the desired time.

So, I have total roast time, time from start of FC to end of FC (sometimes that's really difficult to measure) and start of FC to end of roast.

I have mine set at #6, and have never had it go to the end.  My roasts usually run around 9:30 - 10:00 minutes.  Even with the same bean I sometimes get significant differences in roast timings.  Ambient temps, humidity, etc.  As Jim says, trial and error.  And a watchful eye.

I really want to upgrade to the ADR so I have more control.  I sometimes think the gas cycles at the most inopportune times. 

Jimbo

Burner0000

« Reply #441 on: June 17, 2014, 09:01:30 AM »
WOW! Your unit seems to be roasting way too hot! I have never gone that low....... :o

I know.. Odd eh. Maybe because it's pulling in warmer humid air?

Burner0000

« Reply #442 on: June 17, 2014, 11:28:46 AM »
I did have to turn up the gas pressure when I converted to natural gas.  Maybe I need to turn it down now..

Burner0000

« Reply #443 on: June 22, 2014, 03:16:27 PM »
After I spoke with Sonofresco, they told me I needed to adjust the gas pressure again.. So I had a hell of a time ripping it apart and had to remove the gas valve from the hose leading to the front of the roaster. I didn't reconnect the gas line correctly and ended up with a bit of a leak which scared the crap out of me when I turned the gas back on. Now I'm afraid to fire the thing up.  Does anyone know how I can test the connection on both sides of the gas valve?  I'm considering capping if it off and converting back to propane and looking at a new one hopefully by fall.

jspain

« Reply #444 on: June 22, 2014, 04:47:14 PM »
After I spoke with Sonofresco, they told me I needed to adjust the gas pressure again.. So I had a hell of a time ripping it apart and had to remove the gas valve from the hose leading to the front of the roaster. I didn't reconnect the gas line correctly and ended up with a bit of a leak which scared the crap out of me when I turned the gas back on. Now I'm afraid to fire the thing up.  Does anyone know how I can test the connection on both sides of the gas valve?  I'm considering capping if it off and converting back to propane and looking at a new one hopefully by fall.

Use soapy water on all connections with the gas on. If the soapy water bubbles you have a leak! I'd use plumbers tape when tightening all connections.

Burner0000

« Reply #445 on: June 23, 2014, 05:05:32 AM »
Last week I was working with a tower crew in Gilroy and they liked spraying simple green rather than soapy water, it makes smaller bubbles, maybe easier to find the leak.  We were looking for leaks in the pressurized waveguide.  It also cleans and degreases as you go.

Soapy water is pretty much the industry standard, so it was interesting to hear this tip.  He says that customers also like the smell.

Ya I can get the gas hook up checked and fixed no problem It's the other side I'm worried about. I'm afraid of a leak inside the roaster. I just don't know if I wanna risk my house.

Burner0000

« Reply #446 on: June 25, 2014, 01:03:11 PM »
So I got a gas guy to check the connections.  Everything looks good now.  I'm now trying to get the tubing up to snuff with TSSA but I'm not getting anywhere with Sonofresco.. Does anybody know what the vent specs are with the vent kit Sonofresco sells?  I have the diameter but I need to know the exact vent type used for "gas fired appliances incl a blower rated for 33,000 BTU".  I recently learned that anything else is considered illegal in Canada.

milowebailey

« Reply #447 on: June 25, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
So I got a gas guy to check the connections.  Everything looks good now.  I'm now trying to get the tubing up to snuff with TSSA but I'm not getting anywhere with Sonofresco.. Does anybody know what the vent specs are with the vent kit Sonofresco sells?  I have the diameter but I need to know the exact vent type used for "gas fired appliances incl a blower rated for 33,000 BTU".  I recently learned that anything else is considered illegal in Canada.

Ask Sonofresco.  I'm sure they would tell you the venting requirements.  Or you could just look at their web site.... but you may want to ask them if the Canada requirements are different.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:38:10 PM by milowebailey »

Burner0000

« Reply #448 on: June 26, 2014, 05:27:51 AM »
Thx milo,

Sono got back to me. Sean: "Duravent  Listed 617J type L temperature venting system. The vent pipe we supply is doubled wall.".

Yesterday I also stopped by a few stores. I found Aluminum flex pipe used for chimneys with 33,000 BTU rating. but I don't know if the type of flex pipe causes any back flow.. I also looked up Duravent or Dura Tech for Canada and they sell a "Specail Gas Vent Flex pipe" which is dual layer (not dual wall) SS with no back flow.  I guess I am just gonna keep using what I have which is pretty guetto until I know what I can use. 

Burner0000

« Reply #449 on: June 26, 2014, 06:57:58 AM »
So if I can't get things working indoors I am thinking of converting back to propane and moving into the garage.  The problem down the road is winter.. Does anyone have any tips for roasting in - 0'C temperatures with the Sonofresco?  It's pretty drafty in there.