Author Topic: Kill-A-Watt  (Read 3266 times)

BoldJava

Kill-A-Watt
« on: August 28, 2009, 03:47:37 AM »
On sale this weekend from http://newegg.com

$18.99 with free shipping, using code EMCLWNW22

I love this little tool as my voltage swings all over the planet.  Can tell when the voltage is low and shouldn't roast or just break out the variac.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL082809&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL082809-_-ElectronicGadgets-_-L0-_-82715001

Excellent site for computer parts for those unfamiliar with it.  I have done tons of business with them and they deliver the bacon, time after time.  Very consistent service.

B|Java

Offline bobvilax2000

• Standard User
Re: Kill-A-Watt
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:24:21 AM »
Newegg is great. I've been meaning to pick one of these up. Thanks!

- -Barrett

Ghoti

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 06:27:36 AM »
How do you use it to determine when to/to not  roast?

Offline anastasio

• Standard User
  • Home roasting since 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 06:30:11 AM »
I just ordered one. It was $19.99 (+free shipping). Maybe $1 less if you wait for the weekend?
BTW, the code is exclusive for their newsletter recipients. Makes you sign up if you aren't one.

Thanks!

hatethis

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:49:55 AM »
http://www.furmansound.com/video.php?id=18

Furman power conditioners are usually used for sound gear; they should also be used for anything expensive and elctronic.  Its purpose is to keep whatever current steady and for it to fry before your gear does.

BoldJava

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 09:38:28 AM »
How do you use it to determine when to/to not  roast?

I use a Gene Cafe and find the unit works fine between 117-121 volts.  Below that, I hook up the variac.

B|Java

yorel23

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 11:28:20 AM »
I picked one of these up a few months ago.  The voltage meter is nice.   Another nice feature is that you can leave something plugged into it and it will tell you how much power that item has "consumed" over time.  I found that my Sonofresco uses .05/.07 kWh per roast.  A lot less than I expected!!

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 02:35:12 PM »
Harbor Freight sells something like this now for $19.99 retail.  I bought mine with a 25% off coupon that was emailed to me - if you sign up they send you all kinds of great coupons.  It has a cable so you don't have to get right next to the outlet to read it, and allows voltages up to 150V (where the Kill-a-watt only goes to 125V).  It only goes to 1800W, though, as opposed to 1875 for the KaW.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65731

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 04:42:51 AM »
1800 watts is roughly 15 amps.    I have a kilowatt that ive used for several years on my electric still.  After a while if you are pulling heavy current through it it will start to melt around the plug on the unit.  The clips inside get spread apart / loose after a while and it doesn't make a super good connection and can heat up.   The unit is rated at 1800/1875 watts depending on the model you have but it will handle small surges.  I had one that my microwave would push around 2050 watts for about the first 45 seconds until it started stepping down to the power to the magnetron.

They are nice little units though, however one other drawback, as soon as you remove power, your data goes away, ie it doesn't store you kw history for example.  They do have a model, or did have a model that did that for you but I haven't found it recently.

You can get good deals on these things brand new from e bay too.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 09:28:07 AM »
I have one (Kill-A-Watt) I would like to trade on some beans if anyone is heavy on a certain bean. I am looking for a Brazilian bean for good espresso.(I am open to any suggestions on beans for espresso, you see what beans I have to work with below) New to roasting beans for espresso so any good recipes on blends for espresso would be appreciated.  :)

Tom

Beans I have now

Sumatra - Aceh Pantan Lues Grade 1
Guatemala - Trapachitos
Sidamo
Idido MV
Colombia Don Telmo 100% Bourbon
Tanzanian Peaberry
Ethiopian Amaro Gayo
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 11:16:17 AM by thcoffee »

cfsheridan

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 10:54:33 AM »
I have one (Kill-A-Watt) I would like to trade on some beans if anyone is heavy on a certain bean. I am looking for a Brazilian bean for good espresso.(I am open to any suggestions on beans for espresso, you see what beans I have to work with below) New to roasting beans for espresso so any good recipes on blends for espresso would be appreciated.  :)

Tom

Beans I have now

Sumatra - Aceh Pantan Lues Grade 1
Guatemala - Trapachitos
Sidamo
Idido MV
Colombia Don Telmo 100% Bourbon
Tanzanian Peaberry

Independent of your trade--if you're looking for a good base espresso bean--check out Stubbie's Moreninha Formosa--he's got this club staple in the vendor offerings section.