Author Topic: Question for the group mind  (Read 813 times)

Modelmaker

Question for the group mind
« on: October 03, 2009, 03:43:17 PM »
Looking at roaster's which one would be a good deal for the best price?
I've been looking at the Gene Cafe rotating drum, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route or just build my own drum roaster.

FWIW I have extensive machining/ sheet metal/ product design experience, so the idea of building my own is not a scary thought

any ideas?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Question for the group mind
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »
You should detail some of your needs and expectations from a roaster as well as a bit about your perspective on roasting. Are you push button,select profile or are you an "at the wheel" and dialing in type.

Otherwise it's kind of like saying what is the best vehicle to by at the best price without saying if you intend to haul lumber or get high MPG.   
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 04:16:12 PM »
I've been looking at the Gene Cafe rotating drum, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route or just build my own drum roaster.

FWIW I have extensive machining/ sheet metal/ product design experience, so the idea of building my own is not a scary thought

any ideas?

Group build  ;D  ....

What John said....  and.... I love the building of things... coffee roasters have me stumped because i am not tooled up for the metal work.. but I am a hands on roaster and I am glad I didn't buy an off the shelf roaster that has limited profile control... I may have roasted a lot better batches if I had the machine calling the shots, but I think I have learned more about coffee roasting this way.

the advantage of a off the self roaster is that it will teach you a lot about making your own... but you have tapped in to this group... if the answer is not here... then it must not be a issue (yet)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 04:47:14 PM »

any ideas?

When you come up for the Friday cupping, I can give you a hands-on lesson w/ the world's sweetest roaster.   ;)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 05:09:05 PM »
Peter's a dangerously competent tinker. With Modelmaker on hand, there could be a critical mass.

Y'all were warned.   ;D

Modelmaker

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 07:08:04 PM »
@John F - Point taken.I guess I want the lumber hauler w/ the high mpg ;)

Looks like I'm going to make my own.
I'm looking to roast anywhere between 1/2 pound and 5 pounds at a time, want it to be portable and dependable.
I already have some sketches finished tonight and I'll be bringing them to the Cabal Cupping on Friday.

Thanx for the input everyone.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 07:44:39 PM »
I'm looking to roast anywhere between 1/2 pound and 5 pounds at a time,

I predict that will be a tall order.

5#'s is doable in a drum and 1/2# is easy in many set ups but adjustably from a load that small to that big is going to require airflow control IMO. Not that you can't do it, it's just going to take more than simpler build set for either or.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison