Author Topic: Broken Coffee Roaster please help  (Read 1474 times)

Kearney Coffee

Broken Coffee Roaster please help
« on: October 23, 2009, 02:53:16 PM »
I have a Ambex ym-2 that i bought in 2000 and the squirrel cage fan motor finally burned up.  I have tried to contact Ambex and they have failed to call me back or even answer there phone for 3 weeks now.  The worst of it all i just had to go to the store and by my 1st pound of coffee since 2000 (and its bad).   A few things would help 1st anyone with a Ambex ym-2 roaster if you kindly look at your squirrel cage fan motor and post any info that can help me find a replacement like a serial # ect. that would be hugely appreciated by not only me but all of my friends and family that love fresh roasted coffee.  Also, would someone please call 1-727-449-1194 and see if ambex will answer your call and let me know if it is just me or if nobody can contact ambex.   Please help ambex usually has wonderful customer service except about this time while dealing with this electric motor.   Any info that can help me get my roaster up and running  would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time!

milowebailey

Re: Broken Coffee Roaster please help
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 03:07:37 PM »
I have a Ambex ym-2 that i bought in 2000 and the squirrel cage fan motor finally burned up.  I have tried to contact Ambex and they have failed to call me back or even answer there phone for 3 weeks now.  The worst of it all i just had to go to the store and by my 1st pound of coffee since 2000 (and its bad).   A few things would help 1st anyone with a Ambex ym-2 roaster if you kindly look at your squirrel cage fan motor and post any info that can help me find a replacement like a serial # ect. that would be hugely appreciated by not only me but all of my friends and family that love fresh roasted coffee.  Also, would someone please call 1-727-449-1194 and see if ambex will answer your call and let me know if it is just me or if nobody can contact ambex.   Please help ambex usually has wonderful customer service except about this time while dealing with this electric motor.   Any info that can help me get my roaster up and running  would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time!
I'm out of town for the weekend, but will pull it apart and get the info for you Monday.  You can always take the motor to a local shop that will rebuild it for you.  Have you tried to email them?

How to reach us1947 Drew Street - Clearwater, Florida 33765 - USA
Tel: (727) 442-2727 D Fax: (727) 449-1194
E-mail: info@ambexroasters.com

Bummer about having to buy coffee :icon_puke_r:

Kearney Coffee

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 03:20:47 PM »
Yes I took it 2 the local electric motor shop and since all the info about the motors have been removed (not by me) they said they couldn't do anything.  I have tried everything to contact ambex except fly to florida and goto the headquarters.  Also, on a happier note i got out the dutch oven and roasted some coffee not as good as the roaster, but way better than the coffee I bought.

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 05:07:54 PM »
I'll get the info for you when I get home.... it's time to clean my blower anyway.

Charly

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 08:40:17 AM »
 Ambex hasn't been answering their phone for months, according to people who have ordered (and paid for) roasters and other items. Looks bad for Terry, worse for some of his customers.

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 04:20:06 PM »
Good news... my motor still has the tag on it!!

Data from mine:

Baldor
CAT No.        CNL20134
Spec.           25E068W006
Rating           40C Amb. Cont
Frame          42C
HP               0.13
115 Volts
1.55 amp
1700 RPM
60 Hz 1ph Class F

Great news... you can buy one for $159 if you can't get yours rebuilt.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 04:50:08 PM »
that's barely a little drill motor.  take apart a cheapo electric drill or blender, or other utensil and i bet you can find one close to that.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Kearney Coffee

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 07:00:11 AM »
Ambex acually answered my call yesterday and promised to ship a motor. If this is another false promise I will be buying one of these right away.   Thanks for all your help!

milowebailey

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 07:02:44 AM »
Ambex acually answered my call yesterday and promised to ship a motor. If this is another false promise I will be buying one of these right away.   Thanks for all your help!
I'm curious what Ambex is charging you for the motor.  I suspect rebuilding it would be cheaper.

Good thing about the Ambex is all the consumable parts are standard parts and readily available.

milowebailey

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 07:09:01 AM »
that's barely a little drill motor.  take apart a cheapo electric drill or blender, or other utensil and i bet you can find one close to that.

Aaron
Actually it's a pretty special motor.   Commercial high heat continuous duty.  Not a lot of HP, since all it turns is a 4" squirrel cage.  But I suspect it gets really hot since it's and it the exhaust blower.

Kearney Coffee

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 09:43:44 AM »
    I haven't got the bill yet, but my old motor was a Miskan which is a turkish motor not the new Italian motor.   My old wheel was a 4.5 inch and had a lot more air flow having problems getting all the chaff out of the roast.  I am going to see if the motor will support a 4.5 inch wheel.

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 10:35:19 AM »
You can always do a Tim "The Tool Man" and replace it with a unit that has..................

MORE POWER!!!