Author Topic: Grill/Drum Roaster Profiles, Questions, Tips, & Tricks  (Read 2648 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Grill/Drum Roaster Profiles, Questions, Tips, & Tricks
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 01:59:14 PM »
The only reason I asked is because I am having a real bear of a time finding anything like BW suggested. The closest I have come is the the soldering block sold at jewelry supplies stores. There is a question on whether or not the soldering blocks are food safe.

If anyone has a line on these ceramic honeycomb blocks, please let me know.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 02:06:45 PM »
The only reason I asked is because I am having a real bear of a time finding anything like BW suggested. The closest I have come is the the soldering block sold at jewelry supplies stores. There is a question on whether or not the soldering blocks are food safe.

If anyone has a line on these ceramic honeycomb blocks, please let me know.

the heater tiles are hard to find??... (maybe at a heating and ventilation supplier) and I presume they work the best but I think if you got some fire place or wood stove liner bricks you would have pretty good results in a regular as grill,... the key is that the tiles are holding the heat and changing the temp more uniformly... I am thinking of trying to make a drum from stoneware pottery or a ceramic jacket just out side of the drum???

food safe is not an issue IMHO since the food is not in contact with the tiles and the temp is so high that the food safe issues are burned off...

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 12:18:14 PM »
After days and days of searching I finally found an affordable way to get some of the radiant heat tiles. I can buy a replacement burner for the MR. Heater vent-free heater for 28.03 plus 7.95 S&H. The burner includes 4 of the ceramic tiles. I'm not quite sure of the dimension of the tiles. I hope to see on of these heaters in person in the next few days.

EDIT:

Mr. Heater also has this portable heater that looks like it use one really large ceramic tile. I'm going to try and verify this and see what the cost of a replacement burner would be for that unit.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:20:14 PM by headchange4u »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 01:50:27 PM »
After days and days of searching I finally found an affordable way to get some of the radiant heat tiles. I can buy a replacement burner for the MR. Heater vent-free heater for 28.03 plus 7.95 S&H. The burner includes 4 of the ceramic tiles. I'm not quite sure of the dimension of the tiles. I hope to see on of these heaters in person in the next few days.

EDIT:

Mr. Heater also has this portable heater that looks like it use one really large ceramic tile. I'm going to try and verify this and see what the cost of a replacement burner would be for that unit.

You may catch one on spring clearance at your local big box hardware store

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 07:39:34 AM »
What has 2 thumbs and is now roasting with a 4 # RK drum?

ME !!!!!!

I finally got my RK Drum up and running this weekend. I bought the RK complete setup (drum, motor, mounting brackets, etc) from nimbus a while ago. I had an old gas grill at my parents that needed a new burner. I went through 3 burners and none of them fit correctly or leaked. A friend ended up giving me a grill to use but neglected to tell me it was set up for natural gas and not a propane tank. I found this out after I had degreased the thing and mounted the motor.

I had almost given up until last month I ran across a beautiful setup at my local Salvation Army thrift store. It was a 42,000 BTU, 3 burner Gillware. It was only $60 and looked like it had hardly been used. A quick soak in oven cleaner and then a few minutes with my pressure washers and the unit looked as good as new. The drum components were easy to install on this model and in no time I was up and running.

I finished getting everything setup yesterday afternoon and I managed to get a couple of roasts done before it got dark. I roasted 2 x 2lb batches of an older Costa Rica Tarrazu I had in my stash. One roasted was stopped just as first crack was ending. The second batch I let go into a rolling second crack. The lighter roast smelled amazing.

I'll get some pics of my setup soon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:41:35 AM by headchange4u »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 08:50:36 AM »
Are you digging that hypnotic 'swish, swish, swish' of the beans in the drum?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 06:49:05 AM »
Are you digging that hypnotic 'swish, swish, swish' of the beans in the drum?

I do like the swishing sound that the drum gives off as well as the gentle rocking motion of the grill.