Author Topic: The Atomic Espresso Returns...  (Read 2188 times)

BoldJava

The Atomic Espresso Returns...
« on: November 10, 2009, 04:53:38 AM »
Orphan Espresso is selling the reissued stovetop Atomic at $385:

From their site:

This is a NEW machine.  The machine comes with both double and single baskets and a blind filter to enable it to be used as  stand alone steam toy for frothing milk and making other hot drinks.   Full instruction booklet is included. . .

I have an email in to find out how Orphan tamps it.  Note, can double as a stand alone frother.

I will start a list.  Rules:

^  Need 10 folks at $41.50 Paypal or $40 check or it is a no-go
^  As many entries as you wish -- $120 gets you 3 chances
^  I buy the machine and ship it to the next committed paying person, at my cost
^  Next person on list has it for one solid weekend
^  Winner is selected using http://random.org, during the next bash at my place, as Peter will keep me honest

B|Java

Committed list:

Edited:  Suggestion withdrawn based on limited pressure with which coffee is extracted.  See discussion that follows.
B|Java
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:36:19 AM by Joe »

Tex

Re: The Atomic Espresso Returns...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 10:21:16 AM »
It's a moka pot - not an espresso machine! Original Atomic moka pots in good to mint condition sell for $200 - $500, as decorative/collectors items.

A $25 Bialetti will work as well for making coffee.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:23:12 AM by Tex »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:24:22 AM »
It's a moka pot - not an espresso machine! Original Atomic moka pots in good to mint condition sell for $200 - $500, as decorative/collectors items.

Thread killer!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 10:30:02 AM »

Thread killer!

Nah, but I just saw a Bialetti Venus s/s 6-cup moka pot at my Marshall's for $18!! >:D I've got a spot of honor set aside amongst my other coffee collectibles for an original Atomic if I can ever find one at a price I want to pay. Until then I'll settle for cheap & good! ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:32:18 AM by Tex »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 11:31:45 AM »

Your opinion looks too much like a statement of fact based on something of substance...

However it's just an out of thin air opinion that looks like (aside from the fact that individual taste can't really be accounted for)... it looks wrong. The steam wand alone tells me I can make tastier coffee drinks with it than a Bialetti and that is before we look at anything else.

You are probably just grouchy because it isn't a Gaggia or a Bunn.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 11:45:33 AM »

Your opinion looks too much like a statement of fact based on something of substance...

However it's just an out of thin air opinion that looks like (aside from the fact that individual taste can't really be accounted for)... it looks wrong. The steam wand alone tells me I can make tastier coffee drinks with it than a Bialetti and that is before we look at anything else.

You are probably just grouchy because it isn't a Gaggia or a Bunn.

OK, I can't let that stand - better move this to HT! >:( You're mistaking frou-frou for flavor again - I thought we'd gotten that straight already? :-\

It's moka pots at dawn at the old Imperial Sugar Mill. Have your 2nd contact mine.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 12:03:59 PM »
You're mistaking frou-frou for flavor again - I thought we'd gotten that straight already? :-\

So you only drink straight shots?

Honestly I doubt I would drink a lot of straight brews form either brewer in question.

I like black coffee from pourover, press, and straight shots from an espresso machine but I don't have a taste for Moka Pot style cups as straight coffee.

I however do love a Cafe Con Leche with Moka Pot.. Does that make me a froo froo bandit?

I'm into the best expressions I can get from all things not just coffee. If it means that I could drink less enjoyable brews with something like straight Moka pot or Aero press because I'm too rigid to do something like add water or milk to improve the drinks I guess I'm just not that type of purist.

Elitist yes, purist no.

Given the ability to use milk and the steam wand that is prominently displayed on the Atomic (and use of an Atomic of course) I'd surly take your challenge and bet you $400 into a random panel of tasters on who made better tasting coffee.

I would use my winnings to buy an Atomic and think of you every time I made a tasty, tasty beverage with it.  8)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 12:14:29 PM »
I use my Bialetti to make cafe au lait, but I heat the milk in the microwave. I don't like straight coffee from a moka pot - too sour!

To each his own - as long as you agree with me! ;)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 12:19:48 PM »
I heat the milk in the microwave.

To each his own

Yep.

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 03:14:30 PM »

I can accept your opinion.  It would help to know if your opinion is based on:

^  you in fact own one or
^  you have had coffee from it or
^  you have read about it or
^  your understanding of the physics involved?

Thx, B|Java
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 03:16:19 PM by BoldJava »

Tex

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 03:23:26 PM »

I can accept your opinion.  It would help to know if your opinion is based on:

^  you in fact own one or
^  you have had coffee from it or
^  you have read about it or
^  your understanding of the physics involved?

Thx, B|Java

I've used moka pots for >40 years. They're all the same - steam pressure forces hot water through the grounds at relatively low pressure. Extraction is poor and taste is sour. To call what it makes espresso is to equate what comes from an Aeropress with espresso. It may be coffee, but it ain't espresso!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 03:30:01 PM by Tex »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 04:02:03 PM »
Just answer the questions, mam.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 04:38:29 PM »
This post would corroborate Tex's statement, as it shows the gauge for these as add-ons, max'ing out at 5 bars.  Far from an espresso:

http://sorrentinacoffee.myshopify.com/products/bellman-pressure-guage-for-thos-cara-ltd-deluxe-atomic-coffee-maker

I will modify the 1st post.  Thx Tex. B|Java

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 05:15:40 PM »
I will modify the 1st post.  Thx Tex. B|Java

Yeah, thanks for doing that for us Tex.  :(

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 05:25:06 PM »
I will modify the 1st post.  Thx Tex. B|Java

Yeah, thanks for doing that for us Tex.  :(

Wait till he sees the posting for the Handpresso unit for which we will be doing the same thing... <grins>

B|Java