Author Topic: The Atomic Espresso Returns...  (Read 2187 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: The Atomic Espresso Returns...
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 05:30:20 PM »
Wait till he sees the posting for the Handpresso unit for which we will be doing the same thing... <grins>

Can't we make a rule now that he isn't allowed to participate?

Isn't killing one group buy enough "fun" for a while?  :-\

Plus I really want to play around with that thing. I saw the Milo picked up the one that uses cartridges and it reminded me that we were waiting on the ground coffee version to come in....

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 05:34:14 PM »

Can't we make a rule now that he isn't allowed to participate?

Isn't killing one group buy enough "fun" for a while?  :-\

Plus I really want to play around with that thing. I saw the Milo picked up the one that uses cartridges and it reminded me that we were waiting on the ground coffee version to come in....

Hey man, you are the man in these parts.  If you say Tex can't play in our corral, then he can't play in our corral.  

Rule Number 1:  No Handpresso for Tex.

B|Java

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
A $25 Bialetti will work as well for making coffee.
Horse puckey.   

An $80 Rappali or Benjamin & Medwin might work as well for making coffee.  It's definitely not espresso, but it's a lot closer than anything you'll get out of anything Bialetti makes.  I was a stovetop guy for close to 10 years...  You can delay the start of the pull with an Atomic, unlike with a regular Bialetti Moka Pot.  This allows you to pull at a higher, steadier, pressure in a shorter period of time. 

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 05:48:10 PM »
  You can delay the start of the pull with an Atomic, unlike with a regular Bialetti Moka Pot.  This allows you to pull at a higher, steadier, pressure in a shorter period of time. 

I knew it....

I have never  had my hands on one and am not very familiar with the operation so I refrained from saying anything I didn't know for sure. But I just knew there would be some design features and techniques worth exploring that would make the Atomic stand out.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »
  You can delay the start of the pull with an Atomic, unlike with a regular Bialetti Moka Pot.  This allows you to pull at a higher, steadier, pressure in a shorter period of time. 

I knew it....

I have never  had my hands on one and am not very familiar with the operation so I refrained from saying anything I didn't know for sure. But I just knew there would be some design features and techniques worth exploring that would make the Atomic stand out.

It looks so cool it has to do something worth mentioning...form is worth something, isn't it?
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 06:43:30 PM »
This post would corroborate Tex's statement, as it shows the gauge for these as add-ons, max'ing out at 5 bars.  Far from an espresso:

http://sorrentinacoffee.myshopify.com/products/bellman-pressure-guage-for-thos-cara-ltd-deluxe-atomic-coffee-maker

I will modify the 1st post.  Thx Tex. B|Java

Hey, I didn't mean to say that it's a bad moka pot! It may be the best one ever made, but it's price is based on the collectibility of the original, not the quality of the coffee.