Author Topic: novice roaster with questions  (Read 637 times)

Ghoti

novice roaster with questions
« on: November 10, 2009, 01:41:12 PM »
Friends of ours were visiting for a few days and their son 11 took interest in my coffee roasting. At eight he set up his own coffee business (selling re-bottled coffee in starbuck bottles) He though roasting beans might add to his drink business so I set him up with 5lb of beans and a popcorn popper. He just called today and wants to order 20 more lbs of coffee and is wanting to get another popcorn popper to double his production. In talking with him and his mom about something bigger to safely roast with I found out they have a Turbo Oven just sitting there. I told them about combining the Turbo Oven with a Stir Crazy and they are now looking for a stir crazy to make a  TO/SC roaster to give him something to increase his production without costing an arm and a leg. He even asked about buying a full bag from me but said "I better wait till next time when I get something bigger before I get that much coffee."  If his entrepreneurial spirit keeps up he should be someone to watch in the future They live about 4 hours away in Knoxville so I can only help via the phone and when we go for a visit. I know the TO/CO systems require some mods. I thought I saw somewhere a  year ago that someone was selling a modification kit for the SC. I would appreciate any help anyone can give in getting him a TO/SC system up and working.

Tex

WayneK

Re: novice roaster with questions
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 04:26:54 PM »
Here's another one selling a ready to use setup:

http://www.uroastem.com/cooling-pan.html#roaster

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: novice roaster with questions
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 04:49:58 PM »
Here's another one selling a ready to use setup:

http://www.uroastem.com/cooling-pan.html#roaster

I priced out the components a while back, and would sell them at that price all day long, with my patented spacer and a digital thermometer, and a switched SC heating element.

The issue becomes what happens when someone burns their house down with an appliance I built.

But the kid in the OP already has the top unit, so I didn't chime in.

If he wants to mimic the unit I prefer and use... ultra-groovy roasting setup
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you