Author Topic: Rancilio Rocky Coffee Grinder VS. Cunill El Cafe' Tranquilo  (Read 6623 times)

BoldJava

Re: Rancilio Rocky Coffee Grinder VS. Cunill El Cafe' Tranquilo
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 10:22:16 AM »
I voted "neither."  When I began to get serious about coffee, I read a ton over at Coffee Geek.  I was struck by the importance of the grinder in so many aspects.  Accordingly, I looked at higher end machines and decided not to cut corners.

I bought with a "lifetime of use" in mind. I amortized the cost of the unit over 20 years.  I shopped for a unit that I fully anticipate will last that long.  I talked with Mary at Chris Coffee for a good half hour and got some excellent advice.

I dropped the equivalent of $20 per year or $.055 per day.  I spent on the grinder what many people spend for one month's car lease payment.  That is how I looked at it.  This grinder will be going long after that car is tomorrow's park bench. 

I bought new, a Macap 4.  I have absolutely no regrets.  Knowing what I do now, I probably would have shopped CL or eBay for a Mazzer Mini and a set of burrs.  I would have exercised patience, a budget, and just kept at it.  

Just my thoughts.  There are a ton of ways to skin this cat and I am sure you would be pleased with either of the units you are considering.

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 10:59:43 AM by BoldJava »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 10:38:50 AM »
I don't like the Rancilio Rocky..

It doesn't like you either.  ;D

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 10:45:28 AM »

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 11:47:47 AM »
I just got (  for 1 week) a Cunill Tranquilo grinder....... the #1 thing I like about it is : It works. I was able to get the grind fine enough to get the perfect extraction time. It was very easy to do as soon as I learned  that the grinder has to be running when you are trying to go finer.

I also have the Baratza Maestro Plus with new burrs which I was not able to get fine enough and I always got a 12 to 15 second shot. ...no matter what I did.

The negative to me with this grinder is: The size. It is too large for our kitchen. I solved this problem by making a different place in our house to keep the espresso machine and grinder. We have a sunroom where my wife and me have our coffee every morning. We put a table in the sunroom and now the grinder and machine looks good there.The other issue I had (not now)  was the manual that comes with the grinder is worthless. You will need to give them (Sovaran Store)  a call or post your questions here if you have any problems. Roberto at the Sovaran store is very helpful with any questions.
Tom

Offline mrgreenbean

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 11:56:31 AM »
OK so do we classify the Cunill El Cafe' Tranquilo as a commercial grinder, or just a home user grinder?

Offline mrgreenbean

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 11:57:20 AM »
What are qualifications for a grinder to be classified "commercial"?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 12:16:13 PM »
OK so do we classify the Cunill El Cafe' Tranquilo as a commercial grinder, or just a home user grinder?

You can do a lot with "just a home use grinder".

Even one with
small burrs, high price and widely spaced stepped adjustment.
if you know what you are trying to accomplish.

Are better grinders better?  Yep.

If you need one or not is the question that you have to answer based on your needs, usage expectations, and budget.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline mrgreenbean

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 12:20:24 PM »
So while we are at it, What is the cream of the crop of Espresso Grinders? Certainly there is the Cadillac of grinders?

Might as well get this settled for curiosity reasons.

milowebailey

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2010, 12:43:07 PM »
Best?  That could turn this into a hot topic

Any of the Mazzers are great grinders..

the swift is probably the most expensive but maybe not the best.

I want to get this one to go with my Elektra Belle

I have a Rossi RR-45 and a Santos #6 commercial grinder.. Both work very well.  The Santos is quieter.

BoldJava

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 12:45:59 PM »

Macap.  Nice choice.  B|Stepped

milowebailey

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 12:52:57 PM »

Macap.  Nice choice.  B|Stepped

Yep... although I may just take apart the Santos and have it Brass and copper plated...

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 10:57:17 AM »
I have to put my 2 pennies in....
I owned the Rocky and I own the Cunil... OWNED the Rocky. I hated that thing in so many ways: no matter what I did to adjust the grind, I could never get it dialed in. Plus it was noisy, plus my first one died within 6 months, plus, plus, plus. I had spent probably a year reading reviews on the Silvia and Rocky before I purchased them so when all the problems occurred, well it was like finding out Santa wasn't real when I was 6. The Rocky was not what it appeared (to me).
With the Cunil, I still own it and love it (I scored a Mazzer that I'm using that right now so I have a reference point). It's easy to dial in the espresso grind even with a smaller bean. I've never had a problem with it. It's a great workhorse.
Hope that helps.
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 11:51:12 AM »
Well, I was one of the very first people to buy the stainless steel doserless Rocky when it hit the retail channel several years back.  It has been a true workhorse in my home environment.  I have no problem keeping it dialed in.  I grind for espresso, drip and press and am still on the first set of burrs.  It also fit neatly under my cabinets.  Since I grind fresh to every use, I did not want a large hopper.  The Rocky is a major improvement over my Baratza.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Tex

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 12:05:08 PM »
Well, I was one of the very first people to buy the stainless steel doserless Rocky when it hit the retail channel several years back.  It has been a true workhorse in my home environment.  I have no problem keeping it dialed in.  I grind for espresso, drip and press and am still on the first set of burrs.  It also fit neatly under my cabinets.  Since I grind fresh to every use, I did not want a large hopper.  The Rocky is a major improvement over my Baratza.

At $359 the Rocky is a bit pricey compared to the Tranquilo's $235. That $130 would buy a lot of beans! But as long as you're happy with it, it's the best grinder for you. ;D

Tex

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 12:13:13 PM »
What are qualifications for a grinder to be classified "commercial"?

Three categories of commercial espresso grinders;
1) Constant/heavy use - think Mazzer Robur/Major, Rancilio MD80, or La Marzocco Swift
2) Frequent use - think Mazzer Super Jolly, Rancilio MD50, or Rossi RR45
3) Light/occasional use - think Rancilio MD40 or Cunill Tranquilo

Commercial grinders will have NSF or equivalent certifications, and will have a warranty for that commercial use.