Author Topic: A sample/home roaster question  (Read 1002 times)

Offline shep

• Standard User
A sample/home roaster question
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:13:51 AM »
My old Hottop has finally reached a point where it no longer functions reliably. It was a real workhorse and I have roasted a great deal of coffee from it. Once I started my business I used it as a sample roaster. I am now looking to replace it with another home roaster to use for samples and the occasional special non-organic request that I cannot roast in my shop without violating my organic agreement. Batch size is not so important here. Although I would like to have another Hottop, I really do not want to spend that much cash on this item, as there are plenty of other things I need (like a weigh and fill machine!) and it does not really see that much usage. Although I have owned a few home roasters in the past, I ended up giving them all away to friends. Any suggestions out there for a good replacement machine?

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

BoldJava

Re: A sample/home roaster question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:25:36 AM »
Shep, no experience with them but have you considered the new FreshRoast models if all you are after is a sample roaster?  I know B|Whiskers works with a FreshRoast for samples.

B|Java

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 05:44:10 AM »
I was actually thinking of that. Low cost, relatively speaking. Batch size is plenty large enough for samples, plus the small size would allow me to vary the roast level of samples at least somewhat. It is so rare that I roast a non-organic that size will probably not matter much for that reason either, although I did consider the Behmor as well.

Shep

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 07:18:37 AM »
Something to think about is what you want to do with sampling.

I don't think roasting on a Behmor or FreshRoast is going to give you scalable profile type results...

Not a "problem" necessarily but there is a difference when it comes to the pro side of things (In my mind anyway) so think about that as you decide what to get.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 07:20:34 AM »
I use an air-popper to roast samples of all new beans. I picked that up from a local commercial roaster who uses a handful of variac-equipped poppers for sample roasting.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 07:32:29 AM »
I use an air-popper to roast samples of all new beans. I picked that up from a local commercial roaster who uses a handful of variac-equipped poppers for sample roasting.

So do I but the thing is....what does a small fluid bed popper sample tell you about a large commercial drum roast?

In a commercial setting I think the HT is about the min, you would want but a pro sample roaster would be better.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 01:28:30 PM »
I understand what you are saying John, however, in my case the limitations of being an organic only roaster, really limit my sampling from the start. There are certain coffees that I have identified over the past few years that are most likely going to be in my offering year round. In other words, my cupping and sampling usually consists of two things: is this coffee crop a product of reasonable quality that I can offer to my customers & what roast level I want to put into production. While a small air roaster may not yield identical results to my Ambex, it should be able to answer the most basic questions. Buying a real sample roaster is something I may pursue in the future, but for now there are other priorities. Thanks guys for the info. I have placed an order for a Fresh Roast 500. I'll let you know how it goes.

Shep

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 01:30:47 PM »
I have placed an order for a Fresh Roast 500. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yes ... please do.  I look forward to your opinion of the roaster.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 01:43:03 PM »
I understand what you are saying John, however, in my case the limitations of being an organic only roaster, really limit my sampling from the start.

Sure... you have a specific circumstance to fill there.

Lee Morrison