Author Topic: The "T" Word...  (Read 4484 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: The "T" Word...
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2010, 05:33:17 AM »
An update on comparing the Rock to the Stanley..

My first round testing says that if on a scale of 1-10 the rock is an 8 I'll give the Stanley a generous 2.  :-X

I was shocked at the disparity of these two bottles. A few years ago I tested an expensive bullet thermos against a cheap knock off one and they were pretty close in temp retention over the hours and in functionality. Made me start thinking a thermos is a thermos.

Not so....

I'll get out thermometers and do some charting when I get time but just by using it for a day I figure the Rock has at least 300% better heat retention and the functionality is also much higher.

These are the only 2 large bottles I have so I'm not sure if the Rock really rocks or the Stanley just sucks but there is a very large gap in performance here. I started these both out brand new so neither has suffered the fading mentioned above.

That is the initial info...I'll get real #'s later..
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2010, 06:02:17 AM »
You must have a dud Themos or the Rock is great.  Both of my two quart Stanleys are solid.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2010, 06:43:44 AM »
I'm thinking your Rock has a "TherMax" maximum insulation sticker on it... my limited experience says that any thing Thermos makes with the TherMax sticker is keeping it hot (or cold) for a long time... 

to improve your cup of coffee (and give yourelf the option of hot soup on the job) fill your rock with boiling water and take a simple pourover with you... now yu are fighting the flavor of the pre-ground beans (unless you have a hammer ;)  but this is good hot coffee in less than ideal conditions.. not the perfect cup

Stubbie

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2010, 12:55:58 PM »
My Stanley no longer keeps coffee hot - doing a search, seems I'm not the only one.

No liquid leaks out of it, but it's obviously letting heat out at a pretty good clip.  I'm disappointed, I use it quite a bit.

-Stubbie

An update on my situation...

Called Stanley Customer Service 2 days ago and spoke to a very un-interested rep.  The only question she asked me is what were the letters and numbers above the word "Stanley" on the bottom of my 2Q SS Thermos.  After I took the damn sticker off that must have been applied with some sort of space age polymer and told her "C 08" she asked my shipping address and said a new one will be on it's way to me.

Most of the complaints I have read have to do with the fact that PMI bought Stanley and moved production from Tennessee to "Full of Lead" China and quality has suffered.  Mine is full of lead, I'm sure the one they replace it with will also be full of lead.  Are Nissan's produced by communists as well?

-Stubbie

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2010, 01:55:38 PM »
I had a nissan thermos, and loved it, kept stuff hot for a long time, then I got stupid, overfilled it one day, screwed the cap down real tight and blew the seal... good bye nissan.... I bought a new one and it never did a good job, it was nothing like the original one of two years earlier.  I figured I just got a dud, bought another one about six months later, same thing, they just don't do a very good job anymore.....    I have not had any problems with my stanley, I used to have one of those stanley bolt's and it was great also.    I just wish I could find a good thermos now that can hold about 2 qts.  I really don't trust nissan anymore.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2010, 07:16:31 AM »
You must have a dud Themos or the Rock is great.  Both of my two quart Stanleys are solid.

It must be a dud.

I noticed the temp of my coffee in the Stanley after 4 hours had moved from hot to pretty warm and at 5+ hours it was grossly warmish.  :-\

In the Rock hours 2-4 are probably within single digits of the starting temp...very hot and at 5 hours you would not be thinking it was just warm.. shoot at 8-9 hours in the Rock and it's still more than warm..

But those are just casual observations...the thermometers are coming out, maybe tomorrow.  ;)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline 4thJohn

• Standard User
  • Psalms 118:8
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2010, 08:39:57 PM »
I also have a pair of Stanleys.If I leave the lid on,the coffee 24 hours later is still hot.As for the french travel press, here is one that does not advertise for $tarbuck$.And at a reasonable price.  ;-)
Pull shots left handed.    Is that like getting a little 'strange' in your coffee cup... 

Aaron

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2010, 08:50:39 PM »
I also have a pair of Stanleys.If I leave the lid on,the coffee 24 hours later is still hot.

Are you sure about that?

24 hours is a long haul.... I think you should do a 24 hour measured temp test.

Lee Morrison

Offline 4thJohn

• Standard User
  • Psalms 118:8
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2010, 06:02:28 AM »
I also have a pair of Stanleys.If I leave the lid on,the coffee 24 hours later is still hot.

Are you sure about that?

24 hours is a long haul.... I think you should do a 24 hour measured temp test.
Pretty sure.I have an older and a newer one.The newer does a better job.Preheated with boiling water,not touched until the next morning.I don't need a thermometer to tell me that it has cooled some,but it is drinkable and definitely beats going without.
Pull shots left handed.    Is that like getting a little 'strange' in your coffee cup... 

Aaron