Author Topic: Soup Can Coffee Roaster  (Read 554 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Soup Can Coffee Roaster
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:22:30 AM »

ButtWhiskers

Re: Soup Can Coffee Roaster
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:43:06 AM »
Hey, and the zinc fumes from the galvanization might keep you from getting a cold, too!   ::)

Offline Alan

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 12:10:07 PM »
Hey that's pretty neat.

I don't think tin cans are galvanized but the are aluminum.  I use these cans in making a cold smoke generator for cold smoking foods.  I would suggest that you heat the can up to over 400* F to burn off all the coatings that are used in "tin" cans.  I put them on the gas range with the hood turned up high and the noxous fumes that burn off are pretty nasty but once the coatings are burned off there are no more fumes given off.

Tex

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 12:31:13 PM »
Hey that's pretty neat.

I don't think tin cans are galvanized but the are aluminum.  I use these cans in making a cold smoke generator for cold smoking foods.  I would suggest that you heat the can up to over 400* F to burn off all the coatings that are used in "tin" cans.  I put them on the gas range with the hood turned up high and the noxous fumes that burn off are pretty nasty but once the coatings are burned off there are no more fumes given off.

Two types of cans: 1) steel w/zinc coating, 2) aluminum w/plastic liner. I'd opt for the steel cans: last longer and hold up to repeated heating and cooling. Aluminum tends to get fragile when heated repeatedly. Besides, I can't recall seeing a truly large aluminum can?