Author Topic: Turbo Oven Question (as in in a/an UFO/TO)  (Read 2225 times)

CAGurl

Turbo Oven Question (as in in a/an UFO/TO)
« on: March 31, 2010, 07:56:02 PM »
The Sunpentown Turbo Oven (SO-2000) has a heat dial with increments from 300 to 500.

Do you think that it puts out any more heat when set at 500 than when set at 300?

I've been assuming that it just puts out the same amount of heat and turns itself off when it hits the set point, but it would lend even more control to the roasting process if it actually worked differently at different settings.  

Anyone know?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 03:03:08 PM by CAGurl »

Gime2much

Re: Turbo Oven Question (as in in a/an UFO/TO)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:12:06 PM »
 The element is "on" or "off", nothing in between, and is under control of a cheap and sloppy thermostat. If you set it to 390f it might go to 410 before shutting off and not come back on until the temperature drops to 350f which maintains the average temperature to the set 390f. That's why most folk disable the thermostat and run it wide open or under control of a variac, for coffee bean roasting purpose that is. With a variac you are controlling the actual heat output and can dial in a particular rate of degree rise per minute. 

Dan Brewer
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:15:31 PM by Gime2much »

CAGurl

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 07:31:50 AM »
Thanks, Dan.

Can you recommend a particular variac, or are they a generic sort of a beast?

Susan
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:34:49 AM by CAGurl »

CAGurl

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 04:19:29 PM »
Well, on the other hand.
I roasted three separate batches this afternoon, and I think that going in and simply disconnecting the heat control may be my next project.

I primed the roaster with both the UFO and the TO heaters set to high, and until the thermoprobe read 400.

Then I turned off the bottom heater and set the TO heater to 354.  The thermoprobe indicated a temp drop down to 235 and then started back up;  the heater light never went off while the roast coasted up to FC in 7 minutes and ended about 3-4 minutes later, when the thermoprobe read about 419. 

But, if I just set the dial to 500 and let her rip but lift the handle periodically, it would accomplish the same thing as disconnecting the thermostat, wouldn't it????

Hmmm....
Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 05:36:18 PM »
I put mine one all the way and lift the handle to control the roast... I actually have the heater run through a PID controlled relay bu for the most part I am using the PID for the temp and raising/lowering the handle to control the speed of the heat rise...  then again I seperated the heat rom the fan so my fan is on all the time and my heat is only thing the PID and handle effect.. 

(hope that is not too cornfusing  :icon_scratch: 

CAGurl

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 06:23:24 PM »
I put mine one all the way and lift the handle to control the roast... I actually have the heater run through a PID controlled relay bu for the most part I am using the PID for the temp and raising/lowering the handle to control the speed of the heat rise...  then again I seperated the heat rom the fan so my fan is on all the time and my heat is only thing the PID and handle effect.. 

(hope that is not too cornfusing  :icon_scratch: 

Actually that was enlightening, because I hadn't actually considered the issue of the fan at all. 
Thanks.

Does anyone have a diagram of the interior wiring of one of these Turbo Ovens?

Gime2much

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 07:03:02 PM »
Thanks, Dan.

Can you recommend a particular variac, or are they a generic sort of a beast?

Susan

Sorry, i can't. I've had a huge one for years that is used on vintage stereo equipment. One of our to/ufos has the thermostat strapped out and is run with no variac. The GF likes to use it and manages a decent profile by raising the to at the first sign of FC for about 30 seconds.

Dan Brewer

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 08:14:05 PM »
I guess in an ideal world, leaving the fan powered constantly and running the heating element through a variac would be groovy.

If you know your thermostat tho', and what sort of inertia/momentum you have with your batch sizes, a stock oven works pretty good.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

CAGurl

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 07:31:54 AM »
Well, looks like I'm going to play with the "stock oven" for a while and see if I can master my roasts with it. 

Partly because I couldn't get all the screws off to get the oven apart :-)))))
Partly because I don't even have a variac.....:-(((((
Partly because it seems like it must be manageable with a bit more work than I have put into this so far"-))):-(((
AND, partly, because ..... eventually there will be a Milowidget....:-)))))

Susan

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 11:24:19 AM »
Susan,

Have you now abandoned the "Gompas" handle?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

CAGurl

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 03:35:44 PM »
Susan,

Oh yeah, probably back in December...

Susan

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 03:50:04 PM »
Susan,

Oh yeah, probably back in December...

Susan

I see.  You gonna keep this one for a while?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

CAGurl

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 04:51:03 PM »
Has anyone here gone into this particular TO and messed with its wiring?
I emailed Sunpentown but they "don't have" a wiring diagram (right.....:-(((()

but I'm wondering if my approach of going in through the bottom (fan) is the right way to tackle opening her up.

Susan

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 05:44:51 PM »
Has anyone here gone into this particular TO and messed with its wiring?
I emailed Sunpentown but they "don't have" a wiring diagram (right.....:-(((()

but I'm wondering if my approach of going in through the bottom (fan) is the right way to tackle opening her up.

Susan

I doubt that the Sunpentown is much different from the Galloping Gourmet/Decosonic/Whatever.  There really aren't that many wires in there.  If you open it up, you'll see what I mean.  The power cord branches off, and from there you just follow to the T-stat, or the timer, or the lights, and you'll figure out what you need to figure out.

You've made it thus far in life; I have every confidence that you can conquer this one too.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Gime2much

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 06:45:58 PM »

I'm wondering if my approach of going in through the bottom (fan) is the right way to tackle opening her up.

Susan

That's the correct way but what mods have you decided to do?

Dan Brewer