Author Topic: Road Kit  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
Re: Road Kit
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 05:43:01 AM »
Just wondering did you dig a well in Richmond Ohio lasy year, Looks like the same crew that put in a well at the company farm. Takes a lot of stuff to dig past 5,000 feet.

Thanks
Ringo
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

milowebailey

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 01:23:23 PM »
Depending on the size of your suitcase....

Water Heater

Or if you can tow something

and there are quite a few 12 volt coffee makers..

or if you prefer a propane coffee maker

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 01:59:02 PM »
Just wondering did you dig a well in Richmond Ohio lasy year, Looks like the same crew that put in a well at the company farm. Takes a lot of stuff to dig past 5,000 feet.

Thanks
Ringo

Those are just representative pics, not my actual locations.  My work starts once the well is drilled and cased. (And yes, I love my job...except for the coffee access ;D)
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 10:46:32 AM »
One of these micro-burners can boil water quickly enough.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 11:39:39 PM »
Took some pics of the Trangia kit yesterday.  They're claiming 5 cl of fuel (de-natured alcohol) will boil 1 litre of water in 10-15 minutes.  I've yet to buy fuel for this stove but the prices I getting calling around is about $15-$17/gallon for de-natured alcohol, $5 and change for a quart

Trangia claims you can cut the fuel mixture up to 10% with water (for little if any soot on the pot bottoms).  For sure, propane will burn cleaner, faster but will cost more

What I like about the spirit burner in this kit is it's simplicity.  You can read more about their stuff here: http://www.trangia.se/

I didn't take a pic (forgot) but I also purchased Trangia's .5 litre fuel bottle (they also have a litre bottle).  It has a nice sturdy fuel valve for decanting w/o spillage, or so it looks like it will be spillproof.  Something to conmsider when carrying liquid fuel in your luggage

Jake
Reddick Fla.
On the one hand, we'll never experience childbirth. On the other hand, we can open all our own jars.
– Brue Willis

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 05:09:33 AM »
Took some pics of the Trangia kit yesterday.  They're claiming 5 cl of fuel (de-natured alcohol) will boil 1 litre of water in 10-15 minutes.  I've yet to buy fuel for this stove but the prices I getting calling around is about $15-$17/gallon for de-natured alcohol, $5 and change for a quart

Trangia claims you can cut the fuel mixture up to 10% with water (for little if any soot on the pot bottoms).  For sure, propane will burn cleaner, faster but will cost more

What I like about the spirit burner in this kit is it's simplicity.  You can read more about their stuff here: http://www.trangia.se/

I didn't take a pic (forgot) but I also purchased Trangia's .5 litre fuel bottle (they also have a litre bottle).  It has a nice sturdy fuel valve for decanting w/o spillage, or so it looks like it will be spillproof.  Something to conmsider when carrying liquid fuel in your luggage

Jake
Reddick Fla.
On the one hand, we'll never experience childbirth. On the other hand, we can open all our own jars.
– Brue Willis

Nice!
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 06:07:36 AM »
I have a Trangia burner and one of the heavier duty Swiss army stoves. They are great. You can burn Heet in the yellow bottle for fuel and they will boil 2 cups of water in about 8 minutes.

Here's a video a friend of mine did comparing the stoves with SS knockoff:
Trangia and Tatonka Comparison

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 06:03:42 PM »
OK folks.  The road kit made it's inaugural debut on location today-- thanks for all the input.  :occasion14:

I ended up with a little butane stove similar to the one in the OP, a whirly blade, my plastic Hario pour over, and a gutted perc pot for a kettle.  It worked great!  The standard two quarts I take with me wouldn't have cut it today (0500 out the door, 0700 down hole with the pumps, 1700 back towards the house) so a couple of mugs of fresh coffee was very, very nice.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 07:07:14 AM »
On the road with the kit again for the next couple of weeks.  I'm more or less stuck at the hotel for the next few days, so I'm reduced to running water through the "room pot" twice. 

Space constraints dictated that I leave the inverter and whirly blade in Longview this trip-- so my new Hario hand grinder (thanks headchange!) made it's debut this morning.  Did ya'll know this thing rocks?  It took maybe 2 minutes to grind enough for the little room pot this morning and packs perfectly in the webbing of a hard hat.  (another interesting tidbit-- the bottom can be replaced by a standard mason jar-- great for a klutz like me)

The road kit got some extra attention from TSA yesterday morning, but not too bad. 

milowebailey

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 07:54:10 AM »

The road kit got some extra attention from TSA yesterday morning, but not too bad. 
TSA took a long look at the mypressi twist this weekend too.  In Seattle I told them it's an espresso machine... "oh, cool, that small" they said.   "yep"... "how cool is that" they said.

In Milwaukee I said the same thing.... TSA said "what's an espresso machine"..... "coffee maker" I said..... "oh".

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 11:31:13 AM »
I am not sure how compact you would like your stove to be, but here are two great options. The first is a bit larger than a traditional backpack hiking stove, but will give you a lot more stability when you have your kettle of water on top of it. They run at nearly 10k btu per hour on butane canisters. A 12 pack of canisters will run you $18.50 from Amazon.com, but this should boil water pretty darn quickly. It runs $25.95 at GlobalIndustrial.com, and comes in a nice carrying case.

If that is to large there is always JetBoil brand backpacking stoves. They will run you about $100 - $150.00 depending on the model you like, but are quite small, run on butane and will boil your water really fast!

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 01:04:10 PM »
Army Navy store:  24.95.  ;D  and it's tiny.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 09:35:11 PM »
Is it Butane or Gasoline? I have found with backpacking stoves that the gas ones take a heck of a lot longer to heat anything than the Butane ones. The again, if your are not in a super big rush, you can save a lot of money using the gasoline ones and gas it a lot easier to find then butane :) !