Author Topic: Diedrich HR-1 Coffee Roaster  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Nucer

• Standard User
  • about those grandkids.......
Diedrich HR-1 Coffee Roaster
« on: May 25, 2010, 05:44:38 PM »
I have a chance to buy this roaster at a reasonable price (?).  Anyone know something about this roaster?  What is it worth and is it worth looking into?  Any information would be appreciated.

Yes I know it is a one pound roaster and is all electric but that is the extent of my knowledge.

(not sure I am ready to take this big a plunge in Benbrook, Texas) :-\
Nucer B-) Money doesn't buy happiness it just make the misery of work easier

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: Diedrich HR-1 Coffee Roaster
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:32:46 PM »
I know nothing... but send it here and I will send you a detailed report... (pictures will be extra) ;)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
The base price on the is $3,800. I noticed the seller is asking $2,500, but obviously less is more. It's capacity is .454 grams, so right at a pound.

Here is a quote from their site on the capability of the roaster, "An efficient coffee roaster provides the RoastMaster with the ability to adjust the time of roast, degree of roast, allow change in heat mediums (convective, conductive, and radiant heat), and the ability to speed up or slow down temperature ramp rates.   Other roasters on the market do not provide the ability for all three."

I would tell you to at least go check it out and play with it if it is nearby. It seems like the seller, based on their CL post, would be fine with you stopping by to roast a 'test batch'.

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 03:11:59 AM »
Nucer, know nothing about it.  If I were in the market for an electric roaster, I would opt for their 1R-1.  It would roast 150 grams (lovely for samples) through a full kilo, 2.2 lbs.  Now that would garner my attention at the right price.

http://www.diedrichroasters.com/index.cfm?page=LabRoaster

B|Java

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 06:42:38 AM »
Not long ago the Mercanta rep hosted a cupping of 25 coffees.  She used to be a commercial roaster and went down to a roaster in Portland to roast the samples.  They used an HR-1.  she had nothing but bad to say about the roaster.  Very hard to get consistent results from it.... and it showed in the beans.  a few were roasted well but many were not.  

I think if you did get this machine make sure you get a variac to control the power.  That may be the key to it....

I think Diedrich stopped manufacturing the HR-1 due to issues with them.  I think they changed from electric to gas heat and now call it an IR-1..

Offline coffeefanaddict

• Standard User
  • "what's a mountain goat doing in a cloud bank"
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 06:39:19 AM »
Larry is right Diedrichs new Profile Lab Roaster the IR-1 has the same controls as the other larger IR series allowing one to duplicate profiles. I'll get to tell you how well it works because my brother who lives in town is having one built. It should be here in the next 2-3 weeks. ;D