Author Topic: Able KONE  (Read 58630 times)

northwestmark

Re: Able KONE
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2010, 08:38:16 PM »
I finally buckled down and ordered mine.
Wish I had purchased earlier so I could play with it over the weekend.
I've enjoyed doing pourovers in my shop all week (except for the nasty super-papery filters I'm using)!
Thanks for making this happen Keith! Jesse Kahn at World Bean said he had some on the way to NYC. Stumptown is using them in NYC as well I think. Sounds like the KONE is being very well received.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:39:56 PM by northwestmark »

milowebailey

« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2010, 09:28:59 AM »
I'm back.  Crazy day a work yesterday.  Got home and squeezed in ~ 1 hour to roast some coffee and do a pourover comparison of the Kone and the Swiss gold with the Canaan Brazil.... then off to dinner at a friends house.  No time to post this yesterday

I first did a pourover using the Kone cause I couldn't wait.  Then followed it with one from the swiss gold.

Same coffee, same grind, same bean weight same amount of water.

Maybe I'm biased but at first use I have to say the extraction is slightly different between the Kone and the swiss gold.  I seemed the beginning of the extraction in the Kone is slower and stays at about the same rate throughout the pour.  The swiss gold was faster at first then slowed down.

In the cup the Kone pour had a little more body and mouthfeel than the swiss gold.  The Canaan had aromas of Caramel, and green apples.  The caramel apple seemed to be more pronounced using the Kone and the body seemed larger.

I plan to do a few more comparisons over the weekend, but my first impression is the Kone is better.

I wish the Kone had a lip at the top because in my Bodum Bistro the Kone wants to tilt a little bit (remember it's made to fit a Chemex).

Here are a few photos of the setup.

The 3rd one show a closeup of the outside of the Kone... note the cone shape of the holes..... for those who think they can make one of these...... good luck with that.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:05:33 AM by milowebailey »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2010, 09:32:39 AM »
Thanks for posting your notes Larry.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2010, 10:18:37 AM »
Larry, it's hard to see in your second photo, but is the Kone only touching the funnel along the top rim?

Next, you'll have to brew both into identical mugs and have Mrs. Milo switch them around for a blind test, maybe through in a third mug of something else too.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2010, 10:30:11 AM »
Larry, it's hard to see in your second photo, but is the Kone only touching the funnel along the top rim?

yes, that's why the Kone tends to tilt.  My Chemex should be here later in the week and I'll try both again in it.

Next, you'll have to brew both into identical mugs and have Mrs. Milo switch them around for a blind test, maybe through in a third mug of something else too.

Yep agreed, blind tasting will determine more, when the Chemex arrives I'll use the Swiss gold in the Bodum, the Kone in the Chemex and use the same cups.... my other latte cups were dirty yesterday so I used two clean cups...  :angel:

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2010, 03:23:26 PM »
Cool picture of the holes. You should take a photo of the Swiss Gold filter as a comparison. Just so people who might not be familiar can see the difference.

It would be neat to see visually how the pour looks through both filters if there is any real difference at all visually of the extraction.

I noticed you are stating "Slightly" when comparing your notes.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

northwestmark

« Reply #156 on: November 07, 2010, 07:46:54 AM »
Just a reminder that the KONE coupon code expires in a couple more days.
If you're on the fence or waiting until last minture don't wait too long...
or you might be sad.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #157 on: November 07, 2010, 08:08:31 AM »
or you might be sad.

Just FYI after the coupon code expires this will be moved to the hardware discussion so that everyone who has bought one can continue the conversation of their new toy.

I understand Mark that you have a vested interest in the KONE because you were the initial contact for these, but I would tone down the sales pitch. The word is out and interested parties are buying them. Your last 3 posts make you appear that you have an interest in moving these beyond what a contact for a coupon code should. Let Kevin from KONE talk about and pitch his product since he is a member of our forums and can do so himself.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #158 on: November 07, 2010, 09:44:36 AM »
or you might be sad.

Just FYI after the coupon code expires this will be moved to the hardware discussion so that everyone who has bought one can continue the conversation of their new toy.

I understand Mark that you have a vested interest in the KONE because you were the initial contact for these, but I would tone down the sales pitch. The word is out and interested parties are buying them. Your last 3 posts make you appear that you have an interest in moving these beyond what a contact for a coupon code should. Let Kevin from KONE talk about and pitch his product since he is a member of our forums and can do so himself.
There are two very effective sales techniques: 1) everyone else is buying one; 2) time is limited.  I become wary when I am offered a limited-time discount.  Discounts like the Newco deal are nice, because you can buy when you have decided that you need a new toy. 
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #159 on: November 07, 2010, 12:47:52 PM »
or you might be sad.

Thanks for the friendly reminder.

northwestmark

« Reply #160 on: November 07, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »
sorry about seeming to be pitching the product.
It was just meant as a friendly reminder that the deal isn't available forever and that I spent at least 3hrs working out details for it, so yes there is a "time" investment on my part. This is my last post on it.

BoldJava

« Reply #161 on: November 07, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
It was just meant as a friendly reminder that the deal isn't available forever and that I spent at least 3hrs working out details for it, so yes there is a "time" investment on my part. This is my last post on it.

Mark,

I appreciate the background work.  Gents, order up byThursday, Nov 11th if you want the GCBC discount:
http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=10664.msg164108#msg164108

Fullest review out there so far comes from Jesse Raub who works at one of Intelli's Chitown shops.  http://bitterpress.com/2010/11/03/reviews-coavas-kone-filter/#more-2731.  You might not want your 12 year old read this review aloud at your dinner table.

B|Java
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:48:34 PM by BoldJava »

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #162 on: November 07, 2010, 03:56:40 PM »

Mark,

I appreciate the background work.  Gents, order up byThursday, Nov 11th if you want the GCBC discount:
http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=10664.msg164108#msg164108

Fullest review out there so far comes from Jesse Raub who works at one of Intelli's Chitown shops.  http://bitterpress.com/2010/11/03/reviews-coavas-kone-filter/#more-2731.  You might not want your 12 year old read this review aloud at your dinner table.

B|Java

I am tempted to throw the whole review down the drain with this major misstatement on quite a few levels.

"Now some people might say that this is just a reinterpretation of the Swiss Gold basket that drip makers have. I say phooey. Those baskets are a fine metal mesh. The Kone is something different altogether. It’s a single sheet of stainless steel that’s been wrapped into a cone shape, and has a strange array of holes punched through it at different intervals."
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:04:44 PM by Joe »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #163 on: November 07, 2010, 04:44:31 PM »
I'd be tempted to try and use it on a stand alone "stand".

Maybe like a metal loop that holds it at the top and the rest of the kone is in open air.

That might be fun.

I'm waiting for more GCBC reviews.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2010, 04:54:56 PM »
I'd be tempted to try and use it on a stand alone "stand".

Maybe like a metal loop that holds it at the top and the rest of the kone is in open air.

That might be fun.

You may like this idea.  This is how I do pourovers when I'm not using my BeeHouse.