Author Topic: Able KONE  (Read 69247 times)

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
Re: Able KONE
« Reply #240 on: November 13, 2010, 05:49:02 PM »
I took 60 grams of a Puerto Rican coffee that is only good for a "sink-pot" with 32 ounces of water.  I really pushed the pour in a Chemex set-up.  I hustled the 32 ounces through the KONE in 1:45 minutes.  No way I could move that volume of water with paper.

How about with a significantly finer grind?

BoldJava

« Reply #241 on: November 16, 2010, 05:14:47 AM »
Not mine. KONE pour for those who wish to see it working in the Chemex.  I think he is a bit preoccupied with a tight circle for his pour (rather than a circular pour).  

42 grams coffee for 23 ounces of water:

Coavacoffee's Kone Brew

Stubbie

« Reply #242 on: November 16, 2010, 05:39:44 AM »
I just can't make sense of this style of pour.  Is there some type of voodoo magic turbulence going on under that dot of a pour?  Isn't the same coffee being extracted throughout?

Why would you put filter holes all the way up the Kone if you only *should* be using the bottom 1/4 of them?

-Stubbie

BoldJava

« Reply #243 on: November 16, 2010, 11:19:40 AM »
I just can't make sense of this style of pour.  Is there some type of voodoo magic turbulence going on under that dot of a pour?  Isn't the same coffee being extracted throughout?

Why would you put filter holes all the way up the Kone if you only *should* be using the bottom 1/4 of them?

-Stubbie

Agreed.   No reason just to pour immediately in the center.

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #244 on: November 16, 2010, 04:03:30 PM »
The Kone has landed.  Maybe they've worked over the edge, or maybe my hands belong to a working man and not a pencil-pusher, but the edge and tip don't seem all that hazardous.  I'll have to redo the circle on my cone-holder pourover gizmo, and tomorrow I'm good to go.

For some reason, as soon as I opened the box and took out the Kone, I had this old Madonna song going through my head.  I think I have to order a second one to find out why.  No worries, I promise not to post pics; your imaginations will have to suffice.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #245 on: November 16, 2010, 05:14:24 PM »

For some reason, as soon as I opened the box and took out the Kone, I had this old Madonna song going through my head.  I think I have to order a second one to find out why.  No worries, I promise not to post pics; your imaginations will have to suffice.

You could always go over to B|half-Madonna's house instead of ordering a second one... I see a youtube video in the making!

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #246 on: November 17, 2010, 07:15:21 AM »
I'd be interested in knowing what kind of throughput there is for each hole in the thing.

Since determining that is theoretically possible (whereas with paper filters it's not) but utterly impracticaly, I wonder whether anyone observing the thing in action could give some idea of how consistent the throughput seems. Is there something akin to "channeling" at all? Is the throughput uniform from top to bottom? If not, how does it vary? How does pour aggression vary the throughput? By "throughput," I mean not just how much but more importantly how is that throughput distributed?

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #247 on: November 17, 2010, 08:32:29 AM »
I'd be interested in knowing what kind of throughput there is for each hole in the thing.

Since determining that is theoretically possible (whereas with paper filters it's not) but utterly impracticaly, I wonder whether anyone observing the thing in action could give some idea of how consistent the throughput seems. Is there something akin to "channeling" at all? Is the throughput uniform from top to bottom? If not, how does it vary? How does pour aggression vary the throughput? By "throughput," I mean not just how much but more importantly how is that throughput distributed?

Why not
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #248 on: November 17, 2010, 10:40:26 AM »
;D

Empirical, my good man, empirical. I think a measurement approach with paper would be far more difficult than with the metal.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #249 on: November 17, 2010, 10:56:36 AM »
;D

Empirical, my good man, empirical. I think a measurement approach with paper would be far more difficult than with the metal.

You don't know the permeability of coffee filter paper?  :P

(neither do I!)

Measuring the permeability of a coffee filter would probably make a pretty decent master's thesis.  ;D
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

FinerGrind

« Reply #250 on: November 17, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »
God love these guys for their quest for the perfect brew:

http://www.tropicalsaloon.com/?p=107

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #251 on: November 17, 2010, 01:09:42 PM »
I've been noticing a lot of silt with my Kone. Way more than I get with the FP. I haven't had time to mess around with the grind that much, so I'm hopping that's all I need to do.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #252 on: November 17, 2010, 08:33:10 PM »
I've been noticing a lot of silt with my Kone. Way more than I get with the FP. I haven't had time to mess around with the grind that much, so I'm hopping that's all I need to do.

OK, I'm glad I haven't ponied up yet. That settles it right there.

God love these guys for their quest for the perfect brew:

http://www.tropicalsaloon.com/?p=107

LOL

That's just awesome.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:39:25 PM by rasqual »

Stubbie

« Reply #253 on: November 18, 2010, 07:53:29 AM »
Put my Kone inside a Clever dripper yesterday and had a hell of a time getting it back out.  Almost became a permanent filter for a dripper that isn't mine.  :o

Cut my finger on the top edge too...this thing is seriously sharp.  My worker hands must be a little more delicate than Peters ;)

-Stubbie

BoldJava

« Reply #254 on: November 18, 2010, 08:16:50 AM »

Cut my finger on the top edge too...this thing is seriously sharp.  My worker hands must be a little more delicate than Peters ;)

-Stubbie

Don't let him kid you.  He has a special dish soap so his hands don't chap. He bluffs his way through a macho routine here.  In person? Manicures with polished/buffed nails or whatever they call it.  Very...ah....metrosexual guy.