Author Topic: Able KONE  (Read 60560 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Able KONE
« Reply #165 on: November 07, 2010, 05:36:55 PM »
You may like this idea.  This is how I do pourovers when I'm not using my BeeHouse.

Exactly what I had in mind.

Bring that set up over to the next Cabal meeting, do a side by side shoot out, and end all speculation on what's what.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #166 on: November 07, 2010, 05:43:20 PM »

There are two very effective sales techniques: 1) everyone else is buying one; 2) time is limited.  I become wary when I am offered a limited-time discount.  Discounts like the Newco deal are nice, because you can buy when you have decided that you need a new toy. 

I appreciate all the leg work and R&D that has gone into this product and discounted distro here.. but I must agree that the short run discount distros are a little frustrating.

Tex

« Reply #167 on: November 07, 2010, 05:54:27 PM »
I'd be tempted to try and use it on a stand alone "stand".

Maybe like a metal loop that holds it at the top and the rest of the kone is in open air.

That might be fun.

You may like this idea.  This is how I do pourovers when I'm not using my BeeHouse.

Lemme guess; that's from a sock brewer, right? ???

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #168 on: November 07, 2010, 08:46:22 PM »
I'd be tempted to try and use it on a stand alone "stand".

Maybe like a metal loop that holds it at the top and the rest of the kone is in open air.

That might be fun.

You may like this idea.  This is how I do pourovers when I'm not using my BeeHouse.

Lemme guess; that's from a sock brewer, right? ???

The second pic would remind one of some unprocessed Kopi Luwak.  :icon_puke_r:

Bring that set up over to the next Cabal meeting, do a side by side shoot out, and end all speculation on what's what.  8)

The wire hoop sits into a block glued in one of my kitchen drawers and thus isn't portable.  But maybe I can get da bums over here...
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #169 on: November 07, 2010, 09:35:57 PM »
What grade of stainless steel is this thing made of?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

BoldJava

« Reply #170 on: November 09, 2010, 07:16:57 AM »
http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=10664.msg164108#msg164108

Clock is ticking for the discount which Coava is offering -- ends Thurs, Nov 11.  Mine is on the truck with Mr. Brown for an early evening delivery.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #171 on: November 09, 2010, 03:50:50 PM »
Thought I would publish some pictures so you can get an idea some the KONE sits in filters.  I will have to round up the Chemex as well.

This is the KONE sitting in the #4 Cilio (5" inner diameter, 4" depth).  Sits tightly against the raised ridges, not wobbling on its tip, even though the Cilio has a \_/ shape.   The \_/ Swiss Gold (front) and Bunn Gold (rear) are off to the left.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 01:54:05 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #172 on: November 09, 2010, 03:55:07 PM »
For comparison, are the 3 in comparison.

Bunn, left, sitting on an 01 Hario. 
Swiss Gold, center, on a 02 Hario.
KONE, right, sitting on an 4 Cilio.

BoldJava

« Reply #173 on: November 09, 2010, 03:56:34 PM »
The KONE appears to fit the 01 Hario, the 02 Hario, the #4 Cilio, but the fit in the Beehouse is a no-go, a wobbler.  Seen here in the 02 Hario.

BoldJava

« Reply #174 on: November 09, 2010, 04:04:37 PM »
Chemex from above

BoldJava

« Reply #175 on: November 09, 2010, 04:06:56 PM »
Chemex eye level.  The wording you see is not as pronounced as it appears; lighting creates the effect.

Stubbie

« Reply #176 on: November 09, 2010, 04:51:31 PM »
I'm firing up the kettle right now for my first try with mine!

Off to the other thread for the brewing instructions...

-Stubbie

BoldJava

« Reply #177 on: November 09, 2010, 05:25:18 PM »
I'm firing up the kettle right now for my first try with mine!

Off to the other thread for the brewing instructions...

-Stubbie

I will use my standard pourover ratios and give it a whirl in the a.m.  Too late for coffee.

B|Java

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #178 on: November 10, 2010, 04:20:02 AM »
Look forward to your Bold review.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #179 on: November 10, 2010, 04:31:00 AM »
1st cup in the KONE.  (Pictured below is KONE sitting in the Chemex during the 45 second bloom I use).

Grind:  drip/pourover grind on a MACAP 4
Coffee amount:  39.6 grams (Guat at full city)
Water amount:  23 ounces -> 21.5 coffee
Instrument:  Chemex
Pour duration:  2:30 post-bloom.  One slow continuous pour.  Water sat tight during the bloom and probably 20 seconds into the pour.  I found the water moved through better than it does with the papers (Melitta whites).

Cup.  Extremely clean. None Little of the silt in comparison to both the Bodum Gold and the Swissgold.  Oils are much more present than with the Hario/Beehouse paper arrangements. (edit Dec 1)  

Clean-up?  Lift the KONE right at the indentation of the pour lip when the grounds are dry.  Go outside, give it a quick hit to the palm, wipe with a finger, shake the finger, give thanks for the day.  Wash in a citrus oil based detergent.  Good to go.

Recommendation.  A worthy additional to the arsenal in this humble cupper's estimation.

Down the road?
1.  This weekend, try the same coffee in a side by side with a Hario paper prep vs a Hario KONE arrangement.
2.  Get Ryan (Roast Coffee) over here with his TDS meter (can't remember the name of that thingamabob).  He loves data.
3.  Put the KONE head to head with the Hario with paper (Melittas), Swissgold, Bodum gold.  Measure TDS, cup quality,etc and report back.  Will be a fun experiment.
(Note: I won't go near a Chemex brown filter.  To me they are similar to using newspaper to filter your coffee).

For now?  I recommend to whom?
1.  Buy if you like a rich cup with plenty of oils
2.  Enjoy a clean cup, without the (heavy) silt that golds tend to offer (edit Dec 1)
3.  Want to move away from paper for taste, costs, or "green factor"

My guess is that it will become my pourover insert in the Hario - pending a try this weekend.  Chemex cools so quickly whereas the small ceramic pot I brew in holds it warm enough for the Czarina.

Follow-up.  I will touch base with Keith.  The edge of the filter is a tad sharp and should be crimped, buffed or dulled to make it less 'edgy.'  Watch your hands when you empty it.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:56:47 AM by BoldJava »