Author Topic: Recommendations for a Good Digital Scale for Espresso  (Read 1062 times)

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
Recommendations for a Good Digital Scale for Espresso
« on: June 20, 2011, 12:34:55 PM »
I'm looking for a digital scale to start weighing my ground espresso to get my shots more consistent. What are some recommended scales? Does anyone use a USPS scale?
Thanks for the tips. :)
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

Tex

Re: Recommendations for a Good Digital Scale for Espresso
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
I recommend searching on "jewelry scale" or "pocket jewelry scale" for a scale with 0.1 g resolution.

I've got scales from American Weigh Scales that I like and they're aren't much money.  A 100 g scale is all you really need, but you might want to go with a 500 g or higher scale if you want to tare your portifilter in there instead of just the filter basket or weigh out pour water and coffee for pour-over.

+1

when I weigh my coffee (seldom happens) I like my American Scales, but I weigh my beans before grinding - a lot simpler.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:58:48 PM »
I just ordered this pocket scale last night, and they shipped it today.  Look for a scale that will use AA or AAA batteries instead of the button batteries.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:00:20 PM by peter »
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 02:02:40 PM »
You might want to look at this one.

Price is very reasonable and it seems to have good reviews.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 02:05:03 PM »
I just ordered this pocket scale last night, and they shipped it today.  Look for a scale that will use AA or AAA batteries instead of the button batteries.

I posted after Peter ... looks like the one that Peter posted is a better deal.

Well done Peter!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

blzrfn

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 02:54:41 PM »
I have one from HF which works pretty decent and is probably similar quality to the ones posted above, but more money.   :-[

I just received an American Weigh scale from Amazon that was recommended by a certain coffee geek and plan on using this one for roasting and coffee/espresso at home.

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is calibration.  I've ordered calibration weights for my scales...

I don't calibrate with weights.  When I have a USPS or a FedEx package, I write down the specific weight and calibrate against theirs.  Mine haven't budged in 5 years.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 04:28:05 PM »
according to the US Mint, each nickel is 5.000g

weigh 3 or 4 nickels to see if it's consistent enough for your dose.

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 06:17:59 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input. I take it USPS scales won't do the trick. But what I did forget is I have a jeweler's scale (not the O'Haus) and I could use that.
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

GC7

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 07:22:07 PM »
This one works great

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-1g-500g-Electronic-Digital-Balance-Weight-Mini-Scale-/320711967463?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aabec42e7

It was recommended I think over on HB and even with shipping from the far east arrived quickly. It uses AAA batteries and has been going strong for about a year now. How much can you lose for $6.13 shipped?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:24:55 PM by GC7 »

Offline 2ndcrack

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 06:56:20 AM »
I'm happy with my Harbor Freight scale. On a flat surface it is accurate.

On a side note one of my neighbors is a police officer and I was showing him my green beans and coffee related hardware. He saw my scale and told me that I shouldn't have purchased one as they have a room full of them that have been seized!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 08:53:38 AM »
This one works great

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-1g-500g-Electronic-Digital-Balance-Weight-Mini-Scale-/320711967463?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aabec42e7

It was recommended I think over on HB and even with shipping from the far east arrived quickly. It uses AAA batteries and has been going strong for about a year now. How much can you lose for $6.13 shipped?

It dawned on me, looking at your scale and the one I have coming, that the scales with the buttons and readout to the front of the scale would work better for weighing shots than the scale I use for weighing beans before grinding, with its display to the side.  Better to see the numbers in front of the group than to the side.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you