Author Topic: Taking the Plunge ...  (Read 3080 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Taking the Plunge ...
« on: December 12, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »
I've decided, after watching Orphan Espresso's Cremina rebuild series (again), that I want a Cremina. I'm now on the lookout. Ideally, I would like to find one that needs some work so that I might a) save some money and b) feed my desire to tinker.

If anyone sees a deal on  Cremina, please let me know.

BoldJava

Re: Taking the Plunge ...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 01:34:41 PM »

Wait till after Christmas.  Prices are inflated right now on ebay.

Ray T

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 01:39:25 PM »
GO mp GO  ;D

jspain

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 01:54:48 PM »
Jason,

I'll keep an eye out! Welcome to the espresso world. Now you just need that drum roaster!!  ;)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »

Wait till after Christmas.  Prices are inflated right now on ebay.

Don't I know it. There was a 75 model on there about a week ago that had steaming problems and still had asbestos on the boiler. The seller was incredibly nice and helpful. We actually ended up texting back and forth, and she sent me several pics of the inside. But in the end the price shot up from $500 to over $700 in the last few seconds of the auction. There's an unrestored 77 model on there right now that's listed for $900.

I would probably go $800 for one in good working condition, but I'm really hoping to get one that needs work for a lot less. I even emailed Doug and Barb at OE to see if they may have one in need of TLC sitting around. My price expectation may be unrealistic though. :-[

BoldJava

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 02:46:12 PM »
I have a search marked on ebay and all the new listings come to my in-basket.  Easy way to keep track.

Keep an eye on Craigslist - more reasonably priced.  CoffeeGeek and eBay can get inflated quickly.  Don't dismiss a new or used Ponte Foster or whatever it is called.  I was impressed with the shot we had off Larry's <?> in Portland.

Here is a search of recent solds - note the run up AFTER Thanksgiving into December:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=cremina&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

milowebailey

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 10:46:33 AM »

Keep an eye on Craigslist - more reasonably priced.  CoffeeGeek and eBay can get inflated quickly.  Don't dismiss a new or used Ponte Foster or whatever it is called.  I was impressed with the shot we had off Larry's <?> in Portland.

It was the operator you were most impressed with.... that's a good 70% of the equation. :0) 

The Ponte Vecchio's (Sama export) levers are a good machiine.

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
It was the operator you were most impressed with.... that's a good 70% of the equation. :0) 

Agreed.  Jim Spain was at the helm.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 11:09:18 AM »
I've decided, after watching Orphan Espresso's Cremina rebuild series (again), that I want a Cremina. I'm now on the lookout. Ideally, I would like to find one that needs some work so that I might a) save some money and b) feed my desire to tinker.
I too feel like taking the plunge into leverland. But I am hardware-challenged, so need to find one in good working condition.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 01:32:50 PM »

LOL

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 05:46:53 AM »
Don't dismiss a new or used Ponte Foster or whatever it is called.  I was impressed with the shot we had off Larry's <?> in Portland.

It's only because you are wise.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

jspain

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 05:49:55 AM »

LOL

Jason,

Love my PVL!!!! I know Bold/lever loves his cremenia and I know they are a great machine. A NEW PVL is $1100 but if you buy a used one make sure you can pick it up!! New ones come boxed in a secure way but packing a used one for shipment is almost impossible without getting damage. Welcome to lever land! Fire is going in the wood burner, snow is falling outside and I am snuggling with a cup of PVL pumped Guat COE! Life is good!!!!!!  :)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 05:58:40 AM »
but if you buy a used one make sure you can pick it up!! New ones come boxed in a secure way but packing a used one for shipment is almost impossible without getting damage.

And with experience...even more wisdom.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 11:02:36 AM »

I did some Google searches for buying a new Ponte Vecchio's Export, but I didn't find much in the USA. The only seller appears to be 1st Line - is that correct?
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »
I got an Export from Vaneli's in CA. $840 to my doorstep. 

Absolutely loving it, BUT, the boiler is teeny tiny.  I can get about 3 shots and enough steam for milk per fill.  On the plus side of that equation, it will fit just about anywhere. 

LMWDP #440