Author Topic: My new SC/TO. thoughts?  (Read 5230 times)

mcmasterp

Re: My new SC/TO. thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 08:36:17 PM »
Based on the advise of others my plan was to only use the SC heater to preheat.  I did some more modding tonight.  Here's some pics. I added the 1" spacer strip and replaced my temporary switch with a cleaner toggle switch.  I also drilled out the shaft and replaced it with a hanger bolt and wing nut.

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 10:31:10 AM »
Unless you're one of those that likes to hold the beans at a given temp below where that thermal cutout is.

A fair rebuttal, do you actually do that Peter ?  Does anyone ?   Based on what I read of popcorn, the cutout is likely ~450F,and non too accurate.  I'ts mostly to prevent oil from scorching at ~500F while getting the popcorn hot enough (400+F).   So you'd be doing a rest out around cty+ or vienna, exothermic territory. That doesn't sound smart to me, but 'm willing to learn.

You'd think that 1KW SC heater would really help in the "boost" phase, but in my experience it seems fairly inefficient compared to the GG's ~1200/1400W heater w/ convention.   I've never measured, but I expect the SC heater actually cuts out before 1C, - when the GG's hot breath heats the 'pan', not beans to ~450F.   I will measure this  and report next time.

===

Peter - it looks like you use those dual SC+TOs pretty hard, yet report no failures after the hanger-bolt hack.   My experience is that the SC works for a while with the aluminum foil or copper end-cap trick, but eventually the threads fail.    Then it lasts for a much longer time w/ the hanger-bolt & washer trick.    But eventually even that fails, and the top of the shaft melts & deforms.

I push 3x 350gram batches (occasionally a 4th batch) thru the SC+TO, every 10days/2-weeks.  I'd roast weekly  if time allowed.    I'd imagine that your are seeing heavier duty and therefore SC problems earlier - not so ?

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain

mcmasterp

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 10:47:04 AM »
Since the nu wave didn't seem to be able to handle the roasting I tried a 350g batch with the SC heat on till first crack. It certainly helped get to crack but seemed to pan fry the beans a bit to much to quote another user. I think peter is right that it's best as a preheater. Maybe one could leave it on for the first minute to help bring the thermal mass of the beans up a little quicker but I'm far from an expert who should be listened to... yet. Lol

Also my gg clone TO is scheduled for delivery today, so hopefully I'll have good news to report and be able to roast some more beans tonight. I just got a shipment of Colombian beans from peter the other day and I'm itching to try them

mcmasterp

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 10:51:24 AM »
I found another TO on cl for $40. It's 45min and a toll away but I'm probably gonna buy it tomorrow.  Not sure if I'll use it, save it, or offer it here at cost. Do you think anyone would want it? Not sure how much shipping would cost

mcmasterp

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 04:29:52 PM »
What temp setting do you use on your gg? Does it matter? Since we're basically controlling it ourselves do you just turn it either all the way up or all the way down?

Everett

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 03:07:51 PM »
So hows she working now? Id assume you got the new TO by now. I'm still messing with my SC/TO to get it working just perfect, then I have another one to do those mods to as well.

mcmasterp

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 03:15:18 PM »
So hows she working now? Id assume you got the new TO by now. I'm still messing with my SC/TO to get it working just perfect, then I have another one to do those mods to as well.

It's great. The to works perfectly.  The shaft melted pretty quickly so I replaced it with a tall socket with a bolt jb welded into it with a washer to keep beans from falling down into machine to much. I can roast a delicious batch in under 10min with 12.4oz of beans. I also drilled a hole in the side for a BBQ thermometer which is very nice.

Got any pics of yours? What issues have you had? I think others here will attest to the fact that I had them all lol