Coffee Discussion boards > Hardware & Equipment

Huky 500 profiles / Q&A / Tips and tricks.

<< < (15/15)

woolz1:
Hey brianmch,
Could you please share a few more details?
"the temp change between start of 1C and drop temp, and the absolute time between 1C start and drop."
I usually aim for 10% for the time and try to keep the ROR declining for the bean temp without a flick.

Thanks for your input,
woolz1

brianmch:

--- Quote from: woolz1 on June 09, 2020, 01:38:31 PM ---"the temp change between start of 1C and drop temp, and the absolute time between 1C start and drop."

I usually aim for 10% for the time and try to keep the ROR declining for the bean temp without a flick.

Thanks for your input,
woolz1

--- End quote ---

One characteristic of roast development is how much the temp rises from when 1C starts and when the roast is dropped.  Rao discusses this total development ratio (TDDR) but measures time against total roast time.  I guess it sort-of addresses temperature change but I think temp change can't be summarily dismissed. 

The editor isn't allowing me to insert the picture, but recent roast had a 4C temp change from 1C start and drop with about 1:20 minutes of absolute time, appx 15% of the total roast, a 2% temp change.  With the Colo El Condor I was routinely pleased with a 5% temp change over a 1:20 timeframe and a 10 minute roast. 

I won't judge how your 10% TDR roast turned out as it could be stellar depending on the start and drop temps, the total roast time, the coffee, its sweet spot, and the goal (espresso, pour over, drip, or mixed-use). 

With a longer roast your TDR will likely be shorter as roasts on a Huky taken much over 1:30 start to burn off a little too much of the terrior I'm usually wanting.  You also run a greater risk of getting a mid-crack flick which is a real problem.  I've been making a temp cut about 30-45 sec before 1C starts to avoid the exothermic flick that precludes 1C.  I make another cut about 30 sec after 1C starts to continue the declining ROR. 

woolz1:
The whole reason I was asking is I am always searching for the sweet spot and also lower heat ~30 sec before 1ST trying to slow momentum.
I usually get ~10-15 f temp rise and wondered if more or less was the direction to experiment.
I prefer light roasts hence the 10% development. I too am always trying to save the terrior and that's what I love about single origin coffee.
Thanks for the info!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version