Author Topic: Astoria Espresso?  (Read 13371 times)

ButtWhiskers

Re: Astoria Espresso?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 06:56:36 AM »
You will probably need to pull about 40 million shots to recognize the line between what you like and what you dont. So many variables and so few ways to objectively measure them.
Now the fun part begins!   ;D
Congrats on your bargain!

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 12:53:37 PM »
What ever happened with the machine that you found behind a Church?

Monito

kwksilver

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 05:27:55 PM »
Monito,

obviously my guess on the programming was wrong :p

assuming you have too high of a fill level in the boiler and you have such high pressure that the 3 way solenoid on the headgroup leaks during a shot consider this:

one of the tubes somehow goes from pump to boiler by way of a solenoid. (in your pic 40 right rear is that 2-way solenoid) The state of that solenoid controls whether the running pump also fills the boiler (or just provides pressure to the grouphead lines)

The solenoid (3way) near the grouphead can decide whether water goes to your portafilter, to the dump or neither. That is its 3 wayness :p

If you manage to see boiler level in your sightglass (ignore the stuck ball but leave front panel off to see the entire sightglass), do the following test:

1.) trigger pump by activating manual dispense
2.) maximally restrict flow through grouphead with fine grounds or with blind disc. (pressure is altered this way not just on vibe pumps, but ALSO on rotaries)
3.) let this run for several minutes and whatch the boiler level through your sight glass. Does it rise at all? ( I know i know busted HX and that. The HX on that machine is pretty indestructible. it won't be the fault. if the HX were indeed busted the level would rise crazy fast while pressure during shot would be weak at first and then skyrocket as boiler fills)

I am not sure on this, but maybe crholliday knows for sure.
Pic 44 lower right near astoria badge. looks awfully like manual boiler overfill circuit.

Those work via 2 springs opposing each other and a little plate that can route pump pressure 3 ways. Those gum up universally on all espresso machines. you might have to take that apart and clean it.

if you have water leaving our 3-way solenoid during your lengthy shot thats probably just scale...

Since you also had the "pressure goes up nothing moves" experience, chances are really good that all you are experiencing is scale messing with either solenoids, boiler float or both.

very nice machine.

Felix

PS: on setting pressures and shot lengths. crholliday is right about HB. they have endless threads with endless detail. (Going very far on the lower end of boiler pressure will save you flushtime and $. With home volume these commercials are just so underwhelmed that they do not need the higher temp and boiler pressure they do in a cafe.)

PPS: someone rebuilt a Rio version of your machien on HB, that might have been holliday. i am not sure.

crholliday

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 09:52:11 PM »
PPS: someone rebuilt a Rio version of your machien on HB, that might have been holliday. i am not sure.

I have a Laurentis rebuild: http://www.home-barista.com/forums/laurentis-rejuvination-project-moved-from-alt-coffee-t1413.html

There are several other single and double group rebuilds just like Monito's.

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2008, 05:07:57 AM »

I have a Laurentis rebuild: http://www.home-barista.com/forums/laurentis-rejuvination-project-moved-from-alt-coffee-t1413.html

Looks new to me...

Are the pictures after or before you bought it?

Monito

crholliday

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2008, 06:10:39 AM »

Looks new to me...

Are the pictures after or before you bought it?

Monito

The machine was built in 2000. The pictures are all after I bought it and started tearing it apart.

kwksilver

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2008, 08:04:52 AM »
I saw your post regarding the programming.
I am confused now too. Did you manage to program her via toggle switch or is that not the case?
If you have he 'soft' programming then the lower left (cont) button on your panel would get you there.

turn off
push cont
turn on   (still holding cont)
let go of cont
push the shot profile you want to program and trigger it (upper left or upper right)

stop when desired. (with lower right prog/stop button)
turn off machine
turn on machine
button is programmed

But if you've got the switch then its done by that.

Felix

kwksilver

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2008, 08:14:39 AM »
I just looked at holliday's machine. I didn't realize he has a stainless boiler. That is excellent.
In his second picture from top (covered by a  little black hoodie) you find a spring. that has a nut on top of it. This whole thing is the pressurestat. yours will very likely look extremely similar. compress spring more higher boiler pressure set point.

it seems to me you have long known how to set your pump pressure if not in his thread that adjustable screw is nicely visible. other makes such as procon look almost the same.

Should you descale with CLR like holliday did, make sure that you don't submerge the aluminum tag thats likely to be on your boiler somewhere. The acid is strong enough to cause a half cell reaction and you'll be plating your stuff :p
Same thing happens between the copper and brass that the Italians for some reason use in a cryptic mixture for a lot of the piping and threads. I have some wonderful rainbow platings on my internals now :p

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2008, 10:45:09 AM »
I saw your post regarding the programming.
I am confused now too. Did you manage to program her via toggle switch or is that not the case?
If you have he 'soft' programming then the lower left (cont) button on your panel would get you there.

turn off
push cont
turn on   (still holding cont)
let go of cont
push the shot profile you want to program and trigger it (upper left or upper right)

stop when desired. (with lower right prog/stop button)
turn off machine
turn on machine
button is programmed

But if you've got the switch then its done by that.

Felix

Felix,

I was able to do a soft programming, but...

Your way did not work, then I replaced the "continue" step for "prog/stop"
it worked 1 time...
That is it, I have tried to do it several times, but no results  ???

Monito

kwksilver

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 08:34:49 PM »
yes, that is quite possible (stop/prog instead of cont to enter prog mode.)

But it only worked once eh?

Let us be sure you actually were in programming mode.

Did that happy green light blink at you when you turned it on while holding the prog. button? 
it should have.

I do indeed have my camera charged again, so we will be able to use pics for insulation and other mechanical stuff down the road ;p

Felix

PS: should we keep having trouble with this programming dilly I know I can get you the manual for this in pdf format during the workweek.
(at least im pretty sure I can)

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2008, 09:11:32 PM »
...snip...
Did that happy green light blink at you when you turned it on while holding the prog. button? 
it should have.
What light?

PS: should we keep having trouble with this programming dilly I know I can get you the manual for this in pdf format during the workweek.
(at least im pretty sure I can)
Thanks...that would be awesome!!!

Monito

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2008, 11:46:54 PM »
What ever happened with the machine that you found behind a Church?

Monito

Just saw this post...

I cleaned it all up and had multiple problems with lines bursting.  Seems that some of the copper lines had cracked and worn from wobbling.  I refabricated a couple of them from scratch, but one line wound up about 1/4" too short (as far as I could stretch things), so I have to redo that one.  At that point, I wound up with yet another machine falling into my lap, which I restored and traded away.  Right now I am sitting on not only the 2-group Faema, but a 2-group Futurema Lever machine that is broken down most of the way for rebuilding.  When I get caught up at work (I've been way behind after my health problems last fall/winter) I hope to get back on those two...

...but I will probably finish my new high-capacity bean cooler and chaff cyclone first.  I need that in place before I fire up the milk pail roaster.

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2008, 05:56:41 AM »
...snip...

...but I will probably finish my new high-capacity bean cooler and chaff cyclone first.  I need that in place before I fire up the milk pail roaster.
I need a cooler, I tried making one, but the 5 gallon bucket from Wal-mart shrunk, I wonder if the basket needs a lot more holes?

Monito

P.S. Where do you get these machines, same goes with Chris  :)

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2008, 01:02:06 PM »

I need a cooler, I tried making one, but the 5 gallon bucket from Wal-mart shrunk, I wonder if the basket needs a lot more holes?

Try using a 20qt stainless steel stockpot with the bottom cut out, and use a stainless steel grease 'spatter screen' for the bottom.  I have one of those attached to the lid of a 5 gallon bucket, with a kitchen stove vent fan mounted inside the bucket.  The air inlet is a series of 2" holes on the sides of the bucket below where the fan is mounted.  This blows 2-3# of beans to ambient T in about a minute, but unfortunately blows chaff all over the room (and me).  That is why I am working on the chaff cyclone... 
I also got a powerful squirrel cage blower to replace the kitchen fan so that I can up the load to 5-10# (the range of the Milk Pail roaster).

P.S. Where do you get these machines?

I have a network of folks that I ply with homeroast, and they are pretty good about keeping me informed when any coffee equipment turns up.   ;D

kwksilver

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2008, 01:55:08 PM »
The green light next to your steamwand should turn on when the boiler refills.
Either your toggle switch (on/off) itself or the boiler refill should blink at you when you turn on the machine and entered prog mode.
I don't know about this machine specifically, but usually it actually isn't the boiler refill as that is often simply connected to the 2 way solenoid i pointed out and turns on only when that solenoid is open. Lucky for us, italian engineers hate complex electrical circuits as much as we hate dealing with the circuits they create...
You can look at the wires for the two lights and easily determine what has the capability to be turned on by the circuit-board on the prog panel.
The prog. panel itself also has little dillys that could light up.
In either case, if nothing blinked at you. We never got there.
I will hunt that manual down monday or tuesday.

Felix