Author Topic: Sample Roaster  (Read 7616 times)

ButtWhiskers

Re: Sample Roaster
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 08:22:54 AM »
I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one of those used Jabez-Burns sample roasters Tom had on SM's a couple of years ago.  In reality, it would probably be very easy to fabricate one or something similar.

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 08:45:02 AM »
I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one of those used Jabez-Burns sample roasters Tom had on SM's a couple of years ago.  In reality, it would probably be very easy to fabricate one or something similar.
Funny, you say that...I told my dad to make one just like the one SCAP has at their office in Panama.

He sounded interested...let see what he does.

Monito

crholliday

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 11:02:35 AM »
Funny, you say that...I told my dad to make one just like the one SCAP has at their office in Panama.

Monito

Two for me please.

Where do I send the paypal?

;D

Offline Curtis

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 07:24:50 PM »

Monito

Monito
If he makes an extra, I'm interested!

Curtis

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 07:41:32 PM »
You will be the first ones to know if my dad makes the 2 or 3 barrel sample roaster.

Monito

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 08:28:50 PM »

The few times I've seen a sample roaster such as the Jabez-Burns in action, it didn't seem that there was much in the way of control.  Aren't they simply meant to apply heat at a steady rate until 1st crack happens and finishes, and then dump?  They should be very repeatable roasts, but from what I saw they don't lend themselves to any profiling.  So for multiple samples, they would fit the bill.  But for someone wanting to control the roast, they would be less than ideal.  Close to accurate?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline irunbird

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 12:34:21 PM »
There was a really good thread on Home-Barista a while back, where Ken Fox spelled out some of the major hurdles to overcome during home roasting.  Here's the link: http://www.home-barista.com/forums/hopefully-useful-home-roasting-tips-t5316.html  I'm sure the majority of people in the industry using those roasters as they are made do just exactly as you say, Peter- they roast only for cupping.

Ken modified his Jabez-Burns knockoff so that he could profile, and it's sorta the model I went with when I was searching for a roaster to by.  The main thing to consider in those roasters is what quality burner you buy/install, and getting proper airflow, as they tend to suffer specifically in that area according to Dan Joliff from US Roasters.  Dan suggested that all you need to do is drill enough holes in the back to effectively double their numbers.  The rest is about monitoring equipment- thermocouples and dataloggers.  You just gotta pick what suits your needs/wallet best.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 12:36:47 PM by irunbird »

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 02:08:27 PM »
There was a really good thread on Home-Barista a while back, where Ken Fox spelled out some of the major hurdles to overcome during home roasting.  Here's the link: http://www.home-barista.com/forums/hopefully-useful-home-roasting-tips-t5316.html  I'm sure the majority of people in the industry using those roasters as they are made do just exactly as you say, Peter- they roast only for cupping.

Ken modified his Jabez-Burns knockoff so that he could profile, and it's sorta the model I went with when I was searching for a roaster to by.  The main thing to consider in those roasters is what quality burner you buy/install, and getting proper airflow, as they tend to suffer specifically in that area according to Dan Joliff from US Roasters.  Dan suggested that all you need to do is drill enough holes in the back to effectively double their numbers.  The rest is about monitoring equipment- thermocouples and dataloggers.  You just gotta pick what suits your needs/wallet best.

That is a really great post - I should probably spend more time on that site.

The thing that I see with the J-B roaster is the basic hardware infrastructure.  Simple, durable, rugged.  I would undoubtedly not stop until I had full control of the profile, though.  This is a great slab of marble waiting to be chiseled.

Offline irunbird

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 05:36:34 PM »

The thing that I see with the J-B roaster is the basic hardware infrastructure.  Simple, durable, rugged.  I would undoubtedly not stop until I had full control of the profile, though.  This is a great slab of marble waiting to be chiseled.

That's exactly what I thought- simple (so I can't screw it up too much), durable, rugged (ie. bomb-proof).  I think Ken bought his used from Dan, but did the mods, including a kitchen vent in his garage-- total cost was around $4,000.  I was just about to plunk down about half that on a Pinhalense J-B roaster from Brazil, then chickened out due to all of the uncertainties on what I wanted after I was done modding it and having to deal with someone overseas for parts (although they do sell single phase motors and all the electronic do-dads to make it US-friendly, including a "spare parts bag").  Dan's sample roaster costs about $4,000, then you add an additional thermocouple and datalogger (around $500 more for the TC-08 from Picotech).  For me, it's perfect.  1/2-1 lb batches, which I know for most of you guys, isn't enough.  I roast so many different beans (usually 3-4 in one session) and blend post-roast, so any bigger would be more hassle.  This thing weighs around 80 lbs, sits on a cart in my garage, and I just wheel it out when I want to use it.  It's definitely expensive, but is so well made (by fine folks in Ok City, no less) that it should last forever... hopefully!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 05:44:09 PM by irunbird »

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 05:55:48 PM »

That's exactly what I thought- simple (so I can't screw it up too much), durable, rugged (ie. bomb-proof).  I think Ken bought his used from Dan, but did the mods, including a kitchen vent in his garage-- total cost was around $4,000.  I was just about to plunk down about half that on a Pinhalense J-B roaster from Brazil, then chickened out due to all of the uncertainties on what I wanted after I was done modding it.  Dan's sample roaster costs about $4,000, then you add an additional thermocouple and datalogger (around $500 more for the TC-08 from Picotech).  For me, it's perfect.  1/2-1 lb batches, which I know for most of you guys, isn't enough.  I roast so many different beans (usually 3-4 in one session) and blend post-roast, so any bigger would be more hassle.  This thing weighs around 80 lbs, sits on a cart in my garage, and I just wheel it out when I want to use it. 

For the thermocouple and datalogging, you can get a beater laptop and nearly any digital thermometer with an RS232 port.  Install Linux as the OS and you can actually use Open Office spreadsheet as your logging program and you have paid zero for software.  I bought a $30 digital thermometer on eBay that works great for this - the disc that came with it has a simple logging program that creates a text document that can be set up for any spreadsheet program.   

The real advantage I see is back-to-back roasting.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 09:09:30 PM »
Ok so I counted all the coins in my piggy bank and looked under the couch cushions and came up with my sample roasting method.  One that ties in with my love of pottery no less :D
 I think I found third crack   :o

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 09:11:27 PM »
Sorry, I will make my pictures smaller next time I post any  :-[

Offline irunbird

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 05:18:14 AM »
That looks cool- what the heck is it??  I can see the beans in there, but it looks more like art than a roaster ???

I do not have the computer or electronics know-how to rig a datalogger.  I read practically everything out there on the subject, and at first decided to buy the Omega (figuring it was cheap, and I might save a little money).  All the while this little voice in the back of my head was saying, "this might not work out...".  Got it, installed the J-type thermocouple, and could never get the thing to launch properly.  I sent it back for a refund, and just bought the Pico-tech model (same cost as the fluke + software, but you can see the roast progression in real time).  Now that little voice in my head is my fathers-- "a fool and his money..."  :-[

It's ok- ya can't take it with you!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 06:06:41 AM »
That looks cool- what the heck is it??  I can see the beans in there, but it looks more like art than a roaster ???

Its Raku Pottery. Some potters put organic material in the pottery when they fire it and the minerals in the organics bring color to the glaze, I thought I would try green coffee beans.  I think I got a little blue color in the glaze but tests are inconclusive.

This pic is not as good but you can see the flame coming out of the top of the kiln.  the other pics were of some coffee roasting at that vent on top and then of the coffee in the kiln at around ?? 1000 F.  (there was nothing left to brew so sadly there will be no cupping review)  :-[ 

Offline irunbird

• Standard User
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 06:43:23 AM »
ahahahaaaaaa!  That's great- flash roasting!
I wonder if different varietals would produce different colors based on mineral content??

That's cool-- even beats a friends try at home roasting using a readily available appliance-
http://www.home-barista.com/forums/ultimate-home-roaster-project-t3718.html