Author Topic: Drip Dilemma  (Read 4677 times)

Abouna

Drip Dilemma
« on: April 16, 2008, 08:58:15 AM »
I need some help buying a new drip machine.

We have 5 adults drinking coffee every morning.  Needless to say a typical 10 cup carafe doesn't cut it.  I researched this before and found nothing with a higher capacity.

I'd like to stay with a thermal carafe but if need be I can do without and transfer.  What I really want is simply higher output so we don't have to make as many pots.

I'd also like to not go broke.  ;D

Any suggestions?

Stubbie

Re: Drip Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 09:17:35 AM »
My suggestion is to search Craigslist for a larger brewer of the commercial variety.  I bought a Bunn Single SoftHeat that is able to do 1/2 - 1 - or 1 1/2 gallon brews for a very reasonable price last year.  The downside is it's BIG and has to be plumbed in (or flo-jet out of a bottle) to work.

An Airpot brewer might be a little smaller and still brew larger amounts for you.  I would have preferred an airpot brewer myself...

The other option would be just a standard Bunn.  Mine brews a 50oz stainless/thermal carafe in ~3 minutes, and is ready for another round in less than 10. (Bunn says 15)  Their customer service is top notch to boot.  Highest retail I've seen it for is $150, but it can be had for less if you're willing to shop around a little.  Here is a link to the brewer I use daily.

-Stubbie

Abouna

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 09:34:31 AM »
How are the AirPot brewers supposed to be?  Sams has this Bunn for $299.  I've never had good coffee from a Bunn though.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:03:29 AM »
I have one of these Bunn Airpot brewers (CW-15APS), and am very pleased with it.  I have the temperature cranked up so it sputters and boils a bit, but makes excellent coffee, and brewing right into an airpot rocks.  Easy to maintain.  You can get the Bunn 2.5L airpots with the stainless steel interior which are very durable.  I send/bring airpots of coffee to meetings and gatherings several times a week.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:49:22 AM »
How are the AirPot brewers supposed to be?  Sams has this Bunn for $299.  I've never had good coffee from a Bunn though.

I recommend that unit, as I purchased it about 2.5 years ago from Sams, and then about a 1 year ago sold it to the place I work.

We use it every day, and it is still going strong.  It has a pretty good recovery too (I think something like 3 gallons per hour).  It is a pourover, so no plumb-in needed.  If you want both, I think Bunn might have a couple of models that give you both plumb-in and pourover, but they might be pricey.  And as for the flavor, it is good.  On something like this the extraction time is about 4 minutes, which I find good enough (some want more like 6).  The only thing we did was buy the big metal gourmet filter basket (called a funnel) as well as the larger filters, since the stock filter basket and filters would overflow with the amount of coffee I like to use, especially since it is very fresh and tends to bloom more.  They are not cheap, but I got the funnel and the larger filters from CW-USA, and can highly recommend them.  If you are serious about it, please PM me for the actual part numbers, since that was a little tricky.

http://www.cw-usa.com/

In any case, for carafes, I like the 2.2 liter (about 1/2 gallon) glass lined Japanese babies like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-2-Liter-Brew-Thru-Polished-Stainless/dp/B00004S56Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1208371376&sr=8-3

We have 2 of these, and they have withstood the abuse so far, and are pretty easy to clean.  Not to mention do a great job keeping your coffee hot for awhile.

Chris

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 12:00:19 PM »
Checked Costco, and found this bad boy for $100 less.  Check the Bunn website to compare the differences, but looks good:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11232429&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1

I also found this fancier model, which seems to have some ninja-like electronics:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11268080&search=coffee&Sp=S&Mo=90&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=coffee&Ntt=coffee&No=14&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Abouna

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 12:02:38 PM »
In any case, for carafes, I like the 2.2 liter (about 1/2 gallon) glass lined Japanese babies like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-2-Liter-Brew-Thru-Polished-Stainless/dp/B00004S56Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1208371376&sr=8-3

We have 2 of these, and they have withstood the abuse so far, and are pretty easy to clean.  Not to mention do a great job keeping your coffee hot for awhile.

Chris

Glad to hear you like it.  I also like the Zojirushi option as they have brew through which I assume means you needn't open the lid.  My only problem now is that it's an additional cost on an already $300 machine that comes with a pot.  Maybe I should try and find one that is just the machine.

I'll also ask you later about the bigger basket, sounds good.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 12:38:51 PM »
Could be wrong, but I don't think any of the Bunn brewers come with a pot.

I like the $199 brewer from Costco.  I think it might be cheaper because of the plastic casing vs. the all SS of the more expensive model.

Stubbie

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 01:38:59 PM »

Have you put any home roast in a Bunn?  I know they aren't SCAA certified, but I think the quality out of mine is quite good.  If I had an extra hundy just laying around, I'd like to do a head to head with the Newco brewers everyone has been buying - but for now, I'm just going to be happy with my Bunn.  Frankly, the only thing I would replace it with in my kitchen is a Technivorm.

-Stubbie

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 03:53:39 PM »

I also like the Zojirushi option as they have brew through which I assume means you needn't open the lid. 

You do open the lid, but the center filler tube thingy can stay in place, thus exposing a very small hole through which the coffee can drip.  And this of course minimizes the hot air that can escape.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 04:33:54 PM »
I've never had good coffee from a Bunn though.

I have a sensory memory of Bunn brewed coffee (off the good old 2 pot station) that is so powerful it overcomes many deficiencies in coffee quality itself.  :o

The effect is magnified significantly by eating pancakes. ;D

John F

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 08:35:27 PM »
The other option would be just a standard Bunn.  Mine brews a 50oz stainless/thermal carafe in ~3 minutes, and is ready for another round in less than 10. (Bunn says 15)  Their customer service is top notch to boot.  Highest retail I've seen it for is $150, but it can be had for less if you're willing to shop around a little.  Here is a link to the brewer I use daily.
-Stubbie

If you do a search for this on FleaBay you'll find that there is an outlet in Buffalo, NY that gets the returns from retail stores and sells them there.  After searching the historical auctions the most I've seen them sell for is $65.00 plus about $20.00 shipping (lower 48) for a brand new returned unit.
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Abouna

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »

If you do a search for this on FleaBay you'll find that there is an outlet in Buffalo, NY that gets the returns from retail stores and sells them there.  After searching the historical auctions the most I've seen them sell for is $65.00 plus about $20.00 shipping (lower 48) for a brand new returned unit.

How about a link?