Author Topic: Roasted Coffee Tin With Valve  (Read 7371 times)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: Roasted Coffee Tin With Valve
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 02:17:18 PM »

Ok How about Panama then we can meet up with Monito and Hanan, and go camping! visit farms, I can Surf!, etc...I'm always open for an Indo trip as well, they have a few really good left breaks I would like to try out. I refuse to pay money to go somewhere that I can't get my gills wet.

Joe

Panama it is, though I am not about to camp anywhere.  That is why God made houses, hotels, motels, mattresses, etc.

Name the summer and year.

B|Java

I prefer Fall/Winter that way it wont be unbearably humid and Hot. I am thinking we should wait for afew more stimulus checks(the 4 kids situation I have works well for this) to arrive possibly late this year or next. Of course if the Wife nix's my best laid plans everyone might be required to meet me at Kauai :P I need a few more house sales this year to make it work.

Joe
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Jeffo

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 02:18:58 PM »
I've never understood why a degassing valve would be thought necessary for storing coffee at home.

Maybe these tins are for use as giving coffee as a gift and that's why the valve is at the bottom--for aesthetic appeal.

I still think the unroasted tines are better.

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
  • "It's not easy being green"
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 03:35:24 PM »
I've never understood why a degassing valve would be thought necessary for storing coffee at home.

Neither have I. I use simple ziplocks to store my roasts, and I re-use them all the time. I go through a roast in a week, so I figure I do pretty well with the "low tech" method of pouring the fresh roast in the bag, squeezing as much air out as possible, letting it degas and expand the bag, and then pressing out as much of the air as possible every time I open and re-close it over the following week. Anyway, I've never had a freshness problem doing it this way.

So I assume, like you, that we are talking about gift enclosures here.
Catch and release - into the grease!

Shannon22

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2008, 05:04:34 AM »
I've used ziplocks, but I'd prefer to keep mine in a canister.  I just like the organization of it.  It seems a canister with a valve would be better than one without one, right? 

Jeffo

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2008, 08:54:56 AM »
I've used ziplocks, but I'd prefer to keep mine in a canister.  I just like the organization of it.  It seems a canister with a valve would be better than one without one, right? 

I think the degassing valves are good for use on bags that are to be sold. Then they won't puff up because of the coffee degassing. If the bags are stuffed into a box and mailed, it's possible they could burst without the valve. As far as I know.

I keep my coffee in jars because I have a collection and like the different jar shapes and lid colors. It's easier for me to tell which is which because I use certain jars for certain types of beans. I should take a picture of the collection sometime.