Author Topic: Naked Portafilter Conversion?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
Naked Portafilter Conversion?
« on: May 07, 2008, 08:04:47 AM »
Since I never use my single shot portafilter would it be a good idea to send it to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bottomless-portafilter-conversion_W0QQitemZ160237038941QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38252QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

to remove the bottom?

The cost is $22 including the $7.00 back to me.

Thanks,

Monito

crholliday

Re: Naked Portafilter Conversion?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 08:11:35 AM »
I drilled mine out with a hole-saw bit on a regular hand drill. I think a 1 1/2" is the right size but I am going by memory. It is much easier if you have a drill press but not required.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »
Since I never use my single shot portafilter would it be a good idea to send it to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bottomless-portafilter-conversion_W0QQitemZ160237038941QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38252QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

to remove the bottom?

The cost is $22 including the $7.00 back to me.

Thanks,

Monito

Hey Monito ... if you are as mechanically challenged as I am that is certainly a good deal.  If you are a mechanical guru like some people on this board then you may want to take the venture yourself.

So how good are you mechanically?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

kwksilver

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 09:53:53 AM »
with the shipping back n forth that conversion costs as much as the oem bottomless with spring n basket do at espressoparts for all barands.

Maybe drill yourself (not hard), or just buy a bottemless if you like it?

Felix

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 11:57:43 AM »
So how good are you mechanically?
Very mechanically inclined. But I like perfect work...

with the shipping back n forth that conversion costs as much as the oem bottomless with spring n basket do at espressoparts for all barands.

Maybe drill yourself (not hard), or just buy a bottemless if you like it?

Felix

I guess I could and save some money, but I'll have to buy a filter and spring.

Monito

kwksilver

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 02:00:17 PM »
naw, you won't have to buy that if you convert yours:p
If you are using it now, it definitely has a basket, and most likely a spring :p

Felix

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 05:40:06 AM »
naw, you won't have to buy that if you convert yours:p
If you are using it now, it definitely has a basket, and most likely a spring :p

Felix

I was thinking on converting the single basket PF to a double. I could order the filter, spring and the anti-depression valve that is not working properly.

I also need the end of the steam wand that is missing, it currently have a froth maker (good for my wife, bad for me) attached to it.

I used some of that hot water for my sister in law's tea last night...it was HOT...

Thanks,

Monito

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 09:52:18 AM »
I shaved one off with an angle grinder.  Just pulled the basket, put the holder in a vise, and went at it for about 25 seconds with the angle grinder (Harbor Freight Tools, $9.99 on sale).  Had to deburr it with a file, then popped the basket back in.  Not pretty, but very functional.

Glacier

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 12:01:27 PM »
I shaved one off with an angle grinder.  Just pulled the basket, put the holder in a vise, and went at it for about 25 seconds with the angle grinder (Harbor Freight Tools, $9.99 on sale).  Had to deburr it with a file, then popped the basket back in.  Not pretty, but very functional.

This is exactly what I was thinking of doing with mine...

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 12:03:56 PM »
That was brutal...

Monito