Author Topic: Bottomless (Naked) Portafilter  (Read 3213 times)

doveguy1

Bottomless (Naked) Portafilter
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:53:43 PM »

Bottomless (Naked) Portafilter - USED - NAKEDPF_USED
A big ole pile of used portafilters turned bottomless and unleashed upon the World. It was either we turn them all in for scrap brass prices or chop 'em off and sell 'em. All will fit E-61 type groups and the condition of these bottomless portafilters will vary. They DO NOT come with a basket. We will sell the ones in the best condition first and work our way on down the line. Each one is a steal at $20.
Our Price:$20.00
MSRP Price Difference:
View Details

Will these fit Gaggia?

Thanks

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:46:38 PM by Joe »

Stubbie

Re: Bottomless (Naked) Portafilter
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 09:06:31 AM »
I have been a big fan of the Nekkid Portafilter, using it almost exclusively for the last year.  A few weeks ago, I started using my double-spout and have to say, these past couple of days have been some of the prettiest, best tasting doubles I may have ever pulled.

It takes me a few more pulls to get the grind dialed in now, I have more of a tendency to choke it than I did before, but once it's there - mmmmMMMM!

I seriously doubt the better taste has anything to do with using a double spout in place of the nekkid.  I've actually slacked off and quit using the WDT method and am sure I'm getting some channeling, so I'm going to chalk up the better taste to a better than average roast. ;D  The look I can attribute to the spouts though - it just tends to calm down the foamy bubbles I get when going bottomless. (Porky Piggin' it!)  Gorgeous stripes and specks in my cup this morning.

-Stubbie

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 10:37:42 AM »

A big ole pile of used portafilters turned bottomless and unleashed upon the World. It was either we turn them all in for scrap brass prices or chop 'em off and sell 'em. All will fit E-61 type groups and the condition of these bottomless portafilters will vary. They DO NOT come with a basket. We will sell the ones in the best condition first and work our way on down the line. Each one is a steal at $20.
MSRP Price Difference:
View Details

Will these fit Gaggia?

Thanks

Hey!  Thanks for that info - that's a great deal.

This will fit most Gaggia machines - they are 58mm with the 2 tabs. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:46:49 PM by Joe »

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 10:43:53 AM »

MSRP Price Difference:
View Details

Will these fit Gaggia?

Thanks

Do they fit Astoria?

Monito
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:47:00 PM by Joe »

crholliday

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 12:35:01 PM »

MSRP Price Difference:
View Details

Will these fit Gaggia?

Thanks

Do they fit Astoria?

Monito

Doubtful. Standard E-61 does not.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:47:12 PM by Joe »

kwksilver

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 07:25:05 PM »
the ones sold there WILL fit you Monito.
The only difference is the handle position when you are locked in.
there is some variance on the "shoe' length of E61 portafilters. Sometimes you need to file just a tad. Nonetheless the truth is that in actuality 58mm portafilters are a LOT more interchangeable than people believe.
there are essentially 3 main groups.

the 45 degree sets. (I think you are there Monito)

The 90 sets (including E61 and the slightly shorter Cimbali shoes)

the very rare and odd extra long shoes. These really don't interchange well in either direction.

The only other thing that portafilters can ever really differ on are male or female thread head, spout types and handle thread diameters (12 or 10).

I hope that helps everyoen figure out if you can get one :p

Felix

crholliday

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 07:28:41 AM »
My evidence is anecdotal. It comes from sticking Faema style, Rancilio and LM portafilters into my machine. The Faema style and Rancilio p/fs dont work because the tabs are too thick to lock in or too wide to enter the groove. I reckon you could file the tabs down - if thats what you want to do.

kwksilver

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 08:24:08 AM »
For the length you need to file, the thickness you do something different. You use the conical grouphead baskets and inseart them upside down. They then accept both the "off" PF and the original.