Author Topic: Cupping supplies  (Read 1494 times)

Pyment

Cupping supplies
« on: May 14, 2008, 07:12:30 PM »
Why don't they tell us this?

Important requirements for cups:

they must be heat stable enough to take the sudden shock of near boiling water

They should be clear so you can see the demarcation between the layer of grounds and liquid. This is so you can get a consistent fill.

It needs to hold 5 ounces of water preferably with a little neck for holding aroma together

wide enough to fit nose and spoon in at the same time

Available

inexpensive

I found the solution.

Ball? Collection Elite? Platinum Wide Mouth Half Pint (8 oz) Jars

I just bought 4 for under $4 at Walmart. Any half pint wide mouth jars will do, but I like that 5 ounces comes right to the bottom of the neck holding the aroma concentrated as you sniff.

My next job was to find cupping spoons.

I guess I am just dumb, because I didn't realize I was looking for "gumbo spoons"! they are widely available once you know the arcane terminology.

ButtWhiskers

Re: Cupping supplies
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:01:52 AM »

I found the solution.

Ball? Collection Elite? Platinum Wide Mouth Half Pint (8 oz) Jars

Thanks for that tip!  I'm always afraid that one of my glasses is going to break from thermal shock, but it hasn't happened yet.  I think I'll go score some of these so that I make it through the next chapter of cupping unscathed as well...

(BW is going to be trying out 10 Gesha samples on Saturday...)  8)

barko78

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 06:31:04 PM »
Actually a really nice idea.  With the airtight tops you can put the grounds in and seal them if you aren't going to cup everything at once.

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 03:07:56 AM »
You're a day late (and I'm a dollar short!) as I just purchased some cups. My mother probably has hundreds of these!

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Pyment

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:52:22 AM »
Actually a really nice idea.  With the airtight tops you can put the grounds in and seal them if you aren't going to cup everything at once.

I was thinking about just laying the lids on top of the cups to get fragrance before and after breaking the crust. Something similar to what we did in the tea "liquoring" (cupping) class.

I am going to bring them to Milwaukee tonight to see what we can do with them.