Author Topic: First time naked  (Read 1738 times)

doveguy1

First time naked
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:30:44 PM »
Bottomless (Naked) Portafilter - used for the first time with a 21 gram basket and I love it, cool stuff!!

Stubbie

Re: First time naked
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 05:26:42 AM »
Just make sure you pull your shades before you start - your neighbors might be espresso voyeurs ;D

Oh, and glad you went with 21...17 or 18 might be legal, but there just isn't much substance there until you get into the 20's.

-Stubbie

kwksilver

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:15:36 AM »
Did you notice that those 21g baskets are slightly wider?
I have 2 tampers in 58mm and one 57mm none of my tampers are able to get the same extraction rate on a 21g basket.

I have tried NSEW and everything else I could think of. Anyone here got any good tricks? For me the extraction always starts as a outside rim with the 21g's...

Please give pics of the 21g extraction you guys get. There is no way it is undoable!

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 01:02:31 PM »
This thread gets the 'Best Subject Title Award' IMO.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 02:00:15 PM »
Did you notice that those 21g baskets are slightly wider?
I have 2 tampers in 58mm and one 57mm none of my tampers are able to get the same extraction rate on a 21g basket.

I have tried NSEW and everything else I could think of. Anyone here got any good tricks? For me the extraction always starts as a outside rim with the 21g's...

Please give pics of the 21g extraction you guys get. There is no way it is undoable!

First drop about to fall...

kwksilver

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 02:53:47 PM »
Shaun, did the rim show first? it looks very similar to what I experience, though I think my center baldness might be slightly more pronounced. Do you also have about 1 mm between rim and tamp at every edge? I know there are different 21g baskets.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 03:25:18 PM »
Shaun, did the rim show first? it looks very similar to what I experience, though I think my center baldness might be slightly more pronounced. Do you also have about 1 mm between rim and tamp at every edge? I know there are different 21g baskets.

You know, it really depends on how careful I am with my distribution and all the other factors. I must also mention that I know it should be the same for every bean but some beans or blends are a bit more resistive to a perfect "complete screen fill" and can be a bit splotchy at times. Sometimes I will get rim show first, today was an example where I was pulling Daterra Monte Cristo, yesterday didn't have rim show first and I was pulling Harrar Bagersh. Granted, today was a bit of a rushed technique as it was a late-day shot and wasn't as precise as I should have been.

I do have approx 1mm at the edge and I'm using a Reg Barber. I've tried a pile of different techniques to defeat the rim show, something that might help you is as follows:

Do your distribution as you typically would, WDT or whatver, when you get to the finger distribution (whether you use Stockfleth's or modified-whatever) create a smallish crater in the center with the circumference built-up just a bit more. This is a subtle elevation difference but will only be understood with practice. Then I use either a NSWE tamp or a nutating (rotating around a center point so the edge gets a seal) motion followed by a straight down tamp at 30lbs. All of this is dependent on my mood at the time and how I feel the bean needs to be pulled.

Let me know how you make out with it.

kwksilver

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 05:10:44 PM »
I have been wondering whether that crater thing will help. I will try it. I have  a good 1mm between tamper and edge no matter how deep I tamp, so i def. have to do something about it. I will let you know how I make out.

Felix

PS: The difference between beans is definitely something I experience too. I am not sure if it is the beans or the roast difference between batches, but I suspect it is connected to amounts of oil that are free.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 05:27:10 PM »
I think it's a few things but certainly oil is a large piece of that puzzle.