Author Topic: Smoke Smell Suppression?  (Read 7354 times)

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
Re: Smoke Smell Suppression?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 11:12:17 AM »
I found these bucket and trash can lids that have all the outlets.  I was thinking I could use both holes on one for the filter material, and on hole on another one (plug the second) for the final charcoal filter.

I just don't know how the air will flow through all the filters since the inlet and outlet are both on the top...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=9586

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=98023

Chris,

You have 2 options........

1. Cap off one of the ports in that bucket lid and drill a number of smaller holes (small enough to keep the filtering media inside the bucket).

2. Place a divider down the length of the bucket to separate it into 2 chambers that separate one port of the bucket lid from the other.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 11:46:50 AM »
I think your second picture works for stage 1 (filter material), and your first picture works for stage 2 (charcoal).  The first picture is exactly what I had in mind and should be pretty easy.

But stage 1 might be a little too much work for me, with the divider and all ;-)

I was thinking of getting two buckets, cut them in half, attach them together with duct tape (or whatever), and put a pre-fabbed cap on either end with the filter material in-between.  Then close off one port on each end since I only need 1.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 11:56:15 AM »
Better yet, I wonder if I could just clamp two of those lid adapters together back to back, with the filter material inside?  I guess it depends on how thick the filters are and how much depth the lip of the lid adapter has.

The blue and pink are the filters, and the red are capped off inlets/outlets.

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 12:23:05 PM »
Here's an even easier alternative............

Extend the exhaust side all the way to almost an inch or 2 from the bottom of the bucket, place a screen mesh at the end of the extension to keep the filter media from being pushed into the exhaust side............

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2008, 01:01:07 AM »
OK, I took all the suggestions, availability of supplies & parts, and my tolerance for complication, and came up with the following modified design.  I should have it built by next weekend, and I will let you know how it goes, and if it works  >:D.  It should cost me less than $200 for everything, and be portable.

The "Dust Collector" is just a glorified squirrel fan that runs at about 900 cfm.  Oh, and thanks everyone for your time and input.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 11:48:24 AM »
OK, the last thing I am trying to determine is what type of activated charcoal to use.  It seems like there are different types for different applications.

It looks like this one below is specifically for air vapors, but it seems expensive, and is pretty small (about 1/8" to 1/16"), which might restrict the airflow too much.  Can I go with any type of activated charcoal, or is a specific type required?  I think I can get some cheap, normally used in ponds.

http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/product/GAC48C

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
  • "It's not easy being green"
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2008, 03:35:16 PM »
I would start with a small amount of the cheap stuff. Why start off with the expensive stuff?

If it works, you're done, if not, you have a basis for comparison with the more expensive stuff.

Just thinking out loud...

Awesome project!

Paul
Catch and release - into the grease!

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2008, 06:56:49 PM »
I'd use this:  http://cgi.ebay.com/18-Lb-Activated-Carbon-Charcoal-For-Air-Filter-Purifier_W0QQitemZ170232953154QQihZ007QQcategoryZ43510QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The finer the particles are, the less you will need to use, as it is the total surface area that the smoke passes over that gives you the effect (and to a lesser extent the residence time in that area).   

IF you wind up with ineffective filtration, you may need to get some form of oxidizer in there (purafil, permanganate) as they will suppress the more polar compounds that the charcoal does not.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »
It is 4 layers of filter - Fiberglass, Paper, Pre-filter, Carbon Filter.

OK, before you laugh, it works...or so I thought.

After just a single 20 minute roast (and what I thought was pretty good odor & smoke suppression), my neighbors angrily confronted me this evening.

Long story short, I think any hint of smell will get me into trouble. I fear even the more advanced designs will not do enough to completely rid the air of coffee smell, so while it was fun while it lasted, I think I am going to look for a good friend to "host" my roaster - I know someone who has the same roaster  ;)

A few things revealed themselves in the design.  For one thing, the plastic hose got fairly warm and the metal blower body got very hot - I don't think it was designed to handle air of that temp.  I also thought of little sparks (which happened today), could easily cause problems either in the filter or downwind somewhere, especially with that velocity of air.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2008, 09:40:29 PM »
Roast at night.

On a realistic note this is America, why don't you tell your neighbors they are going to have to learn to deal with it. Do they also have a fit if you BBQ?

I don't see how they are removing your ability to roast coffee.... We are talking about roasting coffee man, this is VERY serious. I'd say they are attacking your freedom and ability to peruse happiness because a whiff of coffee smoke hurts their precious sensibilities or perhaps they have environmental disorder where they are allergic to everything. If that is the case they need to move to AZ. not have you stop roasting.

Arghhhhh!  :bs:

John F 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 09:49:22 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2008, 09:51:35 PM »
Roast at night.

On a realistic note this is America, why don't you tell your neighbors they are going to have to learn to deal with it. Do they also have a fit if you BBQ?

I don't see how they are removing your ability to roast coffee.... We are talking about roasting coffee man, this is VERY serious. I'd say they are attacking your freedom and ability to peruse happiness because a whiff of coffee smoke hurts their precious sensibilities or perhaps they have environmental disorder where they are allergic to everything. If that is the case they need to move to AZ. not have you stop roasting.

Arghhhhh!  :bs:

John F 

It is very easy to talk tough when it is someone else's problem  ;D

Yeah, I could fight it, even with the HOA.  But the fact remains the smoke gets in their house, and I would rather be peaceful with the neighbors, than insist on my rights and have to avoid looking at them every day.

And yes, when I would smoke ribs for 4 hours on Saturday, they complained - and I got rid of all my smoker equipment (and my continuing lifelong dream of being a pitmaster).  That was 2 years ago.

After seeing your post, I went back and suggested they move to Arizona, and I could see them thinking about it.  :D

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »

It is very easy to talk tough when it is someone else's problem  ;D

I'm looking at it from a different angle that's all. I think you, me, and your neighbors have a right to do things like BBQ and Roast coffee. You are making reasonable attempts to accommodate their complaint of the roast smoke. It sounds like they are being unreasonable in telling you that they require you to have zero detectable smell or something. Things like that set me off.  :-\ It's just a difference of perspective I guess.

I'm a mild mannered guy 90% of the time and would not go "talking tough" to my neighbors but in the situation you are describing I just don't think I would stop roasting...I would tell them that I'll continue trying to find reasonable solutions that we can both deal with. If they refused to compromise at all and it seemed like they were just being difficult I would fight it, the HOA, and everything else it took because (I know this might shock you)  ;D ;D I always tend to fight stuff like that.

Anyway, dude I think your situation sucks.

What does a Sonofresco batch take to roast from warm up to cool down 40min? If need be to keep the hood quiet how about a roast in the middle of the night?  :-\ 

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2008, 10:11:29 PM »
Chris,

Plastic will not last very long with this application.

I would use at least the clothes dryer vent hoses. Also, the first set of filters are too close to the roaster. I don't know if they can withstand that heat as well.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2008, 12:46:31 AM »
Chris,

Plastic will not last very long with this application.

I would use at least the clothes dryer vent hoses. Also, the first set of filters are too close to the roaster. I don't know if they can withstand that heat as well.

Hear, hear!  See original design with duct over exhaust spout.  Use aluminum or galvanized steel.

Sounds like the neighbors have some unreasonable expectations (even for California).  You need an electric guitar, and about 4 hours daily practice tuning it to alternate tunings - that might give them more incentive to move to Arizona (or Antarctica).  Or maybe your own single-family home would be a better idea...

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2008, 01:30:25 AM »
How much smoke does the Sonofresco produce? More than the Hot Top, which I understand you used to roast with? I ask this question because I now roast with a Hot Top, which generates a lot of smoke as I take my roasts to full city plus or vienna and I have a new Sonofresco arriving in a couple of weeks. Thanks!
No coffee, No workee!