Author Topic: Smoke Smell Suppression?  (Read 7356 times)

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
  • "It's not easy being green"
Re: Smoke Smell Suppression?
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2008, 05:04:59 AM »

Sounds like the neighbors have some unreasonable expectations (even for California).  You need an electric guitar, and about 4 hours daily practice tuning it to alternate tunings - that might give them more incentive to move to Arizona (or Antarctica).  Or maybe your own single-family home would be a better idea...

When I was in school I lived in a large apartment building. One July 4 I was grilling some hot dogs on the fire escape and one of my incredibly sensitive neighbors actually called the cops! Without even confronting me first. Apparently he couldn't stand the smell of roasting hot dogs.

The cops were very much with me, it being the fourth of July and all, but since grilling on a fire escape is technically a violation of the fire codes, they had no choice but to make me pick up my smoking hot hibachi and (very, very carefully) carry it down the fire escape ladder to the grass out back.

So the guy who called the cops won that battle, but no amount of his complaining and kvetching could ever change the fact that he was a sorry little pipsqueak. After that he couldn't even stand in the foyer with me while I was getting my mail, he would stand outside and wait instead. I think he was scared of an actual confrontation. What a way to go through life.

Anyway, your neighbors reminded me of this, Chris. I appreciate your desire to get along, but at some point I think you just have to stick it to them. You are not doing anything unreasonable or unlawful. Considering all of the thought and money you have put into your filtration project, well I think you have done your very best, and if your neighbors are still complaining, let them pursue it, and good luck to them.
Catch and release - into the grease!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2008, 06:37:30 AM »
...one of my incredibly sensitive neighbors actually called the cops! Without even confronting me first.

Been there too...

When my son became a teenager we were treated to all sorts of fun and adventures.  :-\

One of the Dad's down the street was a lunatic and he called the cops on us...(twice) for stupid situations and one time somebody kept planting stolen bicycle in front of my house. I kept moving it but they kept moving it back. After a few moves I called the cops to come and get it. They questioned me for 30 min about the exact time I saw the bike, where was I prior to that, on and on, and on. Like it was Colombo solving the big murder or something. I always wondered if the neighbors had called just before I did and reported that we had stolen that bike or if it was even their bike.  :o

Anyway, living around knuckleheads is trying at times for sure.

John F
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2008, 08:40:58 AM »
How much smoke does the Sonofresco produce? More than the Hot Top, which I understand you used to roast with? I ask this question because I now roast with a Hot Top, which generates a lot of smoke as I take my roasts to full city plus or vienna and I have a new Sonofresco arriving in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

I don't know if it is volume of smoke, as much as it is the velocity of the air (which carries it far away into neighbor's houses...).

Also, the Sonofresco load size is about 1lb 3oz - 1lb 6oz, the Hottop is about 8-12 ounces - so in that sense there is more volume of smoke for a given roast.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2008, 09:06:11 AM »
Chris, you're to be commended for your efforts to keep the peace.

How's about this; you tell the neighbors precisely when during the week you will roast.  For the hour you're turning green beans brown, they agree to stay inside and keep their windows/doors closed, and for 10min. afterward to let the wind waft any residual smoke/smell away.  If they say they can detect your roasting even w/ their house closed up, I call BS and say they're just pricks.  If they're not pricks, they'll be willing to try it.  If they're decent people they should be willing to simply close their house for an hour.  Or, better yet, ask them for their schedule and find out when they'll be gone.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2008, 09:49:40 AM »
Everyone's comments are great.

Regarding "sticking it to them", I could certainly do that, but here is what would happen:  The HOA would in fact either point to an existing rule that I am breaking, or make a new one.  Either way, I would have neighbors pissed all the time.

Believe me, I am the type to fight against anything I think is wrong.  But as I am getting older, I realize my peace of mind is more important.  I also have learned it is not good to piss off (and burn bridges) with certain people like the Mailman, the Waitress, the DMV lady (though she is usually pissed off when you walk in), and yes, your neighbors.  And we are all homeowners who do not plan on moving.

I know everyone here are probably all cracked-out on coffee, and think they should be given 100 lashes, but I actually think their requests are reasonable.  I know if I wasn't passionate about coffee, and roasting coffee smells kept coming in my house, I would not be a happy camper.  BTW, most people unfamiliar with coffee roasting do not think it smells that great, though the resulting coffee as it offgasses, smells great.

I think my next step of action is to find a home for the Sonofresco (or sell it).  Joe has graciously offered to let me use his anytime (actually he offered that long ago).  I may hold on to the Hottop for now, just because that is capable of producing less smoke, and is a great backup in case Joe dies.  ;)

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2008, 10:32:54 AM »
Everyone's comments are great.I know if I wasn't passionate about coffee, and roasting coffee smells kept coming in my house, I would not be a happy camper.  BTW, most people unfamiliar with coffee roasting do not think it smells that great, though the resulting coffee as it offgasses, smells great.

I know what you mean; a few of my neighbors like the smell, but most don't and just put up with it. 

It would still make sense to this crack-head that it would be reasonable of them to simply close their doors/windows for an hour per week.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2008, 10:41:41 AM »
It would still make sense to this crack-head that it would be reasonable of them to simply close their doors/windows for an hour per week.

I forgot to mention something on that point.  The reality is, our condos are vintage 1974 - so even closing your windows, and the smoke gets in everywhere through the siding, wherever.  Raised foundation also allows smoke to come from underneath.

The fact that it is summer, and their units do not have AC (mine does), means it is hard for them to close the windows, since it gets pretty hot here.  I agree, it is reasonable to ask that of them for 1 hour a week.  but I think right now I need to lay low, roast elsewhere, and do what I should have done 3 years ago - give them some coffee!!!  Then revisit the issue when it cools down.

Reality is, with the Sonofresco, I could roast all my coffee for a month in a single 2 hour session, so having it "offsite" is not such a bad thing.

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2008, 11:26:22 AM »
Chris,

I would've done it this way......

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »
Putting all the different media filters in the bucket would be more convenient for me.

Placing the duct collector at the end would get the air cool enough to give you some assurance that it doesn't overheat.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2008, 11:48:54 AM »
I think Chris' plan on letting me take care of the sonofresco is the best idea  ;D ;)

Seriously, I think at somepoint the offending people will eventually move and then Chris could introduce his roaster and BBQ Smoker back onto the premise with hopefully a nicer nieghbor. Community living has it's disadvantages and these kinds of problems are common.

Joe
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2008, 11:57:42 AM »
I think Chris' plan on letting me take care of the sonofresco is the best idea  ;D ;)

Seriously, I think at somepoint the offending people will eventually move and then Chris could introduce his roaster and BBQ Smoker back onto the premise with hopefully a nicer nieghbor. Community living has it's disadvantages and these kinds of problems are common.

Joe

Some of them are old, so I can always hope for a natural solution.  Community IMO is not about your rights, but about consideration.   If my neighbors were being petty, I would probably approach it differently, but I think their complaints are legit.  I am OK with being considerate.

Now I have to decide who can host my roaster  8)

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2008, 12:24:41 PM »
I am OK with being considerate.

That's nice that you're OK w/ being considerate.  Your tough-guy avatar used to scare me, however.

If you need a host for your espresso machine, I call dibs.   ;D

cfsheridan

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2008, 01:02:49 PM »
I am OK with being considerate.

That's nice that you're OK w/ being considerate.  Your tough-guy avatar used to scare me, however.

If you need a host for your espresso machine, I call dibs.   ;D

I know you've pulled the hottop sale, but I'd be glad to host that for you, if you need it.  ;D

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2008, 02:24:44 PM »
This whole thread has been weighing heavily on me.  Could you find out when your elderly neighbors have a weekly outing (Bridge? Bingo? Bondage Club?)?  Maybe you can work out some sort of compromise with them.

I definitely understand the importance of maintaining good neighborly relations, especially with elderly neighbors for whom little is left to focus on other than what is going on in the immediate environment.  I've got some pretty goofy old neighbors, one of whom is Mr. John Birch Society and probably the Imperial Wizard of the local Klan - he used to bring me over smoked opossum and sturgeon (for real) and talk about the tainted bloodlines of some of the other neighbors, until he saw some of my friends looked rather 'tainted' themselves and he started shunning me.   ::)    Another elderly neighbor isn't too happy with me since I took out the Italian Plum tree in my backyard that blocked my DUT access to my shed.  Seems they used to come over and pick these things pretty religiously since the previous owners lived there over 10 years ago.  All of my neighbors see huge clouds of smoke and noxious odors at all hours of the day and night, resulting in the infrequent call to the Metro Drug Task Force to investigate what they are certain is a meth lab.  Of course the cops love to come investigate, as I have always liberally plied them with freshly roasted coffee (they argue that they can't accept it for quite awhile, but always give in eventually).

But when it really comes down to it, those nosy old neighbors seem to keep a pretty good finger on the pulse of the 'hood, and are invaluable at keeping tabs on unusual occurrences (license plate numbers of strangely-behaving vehicles, etc.) and calling the cops when necessary.  I guess that I feel some guilt for not living up to their expectations and 'visual yard paradigm' - if you 'Google Earth' my address you can see that I keep my yard brown as I don't subscribe to the notion of dumping petrochemical fertilizer on my lawn and tons of fresh water so that I have to mow it more often...  Maybe that is why this neighborly dilemma gets under my skin?

Stubbie

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2008, 03:00:50 PM »
This thread has bothered me for quite awhile as well...

You see, I moved to my current house a little over 5 years ago.  The previous owners weren't too hip on yard care either, and while I don't go all out, I prefer more grass than weeds.  So, one day I catch my new neighbor out by our mailbox and commented to him about how great his yard looked and that I could sure use a few tips - just trying to break the ice.  His reply to me, and these are the ONLY words he's spoken to me in 5+ years were "I'm retired" as he turned his back and walked away from me.  I really couldn't believe it.  His wife on the other hand, always has a big smile on and waves to us, I don't understand how she could be married to such an a$$hole?!?

I can appreciate you trying to keep the peace with the 'bors - but if I had to give up 1/2 of the things you have (and I *really* like the things you've had to give up) I think I would be pushing back on them a little more by now.

-Stubbie