Author Topic: Smoke Smell Suppression?  (Read 7357 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Smoke Smell Suppression?
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2008, 03:39:07 PM »
Well, it is not like I am giving up drinking coffee, or roasting for that matter.  Just no roasting on my deck.

I found another friend besides Joe, who has an NG hookup, and is willing to let me keep the roaster over there.  So I go over there twice a month, roast some coffee, and bring it home.  Vacuum and seal some initially as a backup, and I am good to go.  A little inconvenient, maybe.  Worth peace with my neighbors, definitely.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2008, 04:34:37 PM »
I admire you respect for your neighbors and I agree that is important, the reciprocal respect is important as well.

I hate too see you give up too quickly, I believe your first attempt is very close.  I was roasting at J.Jireh's the other night and thinking of your problem as I noticed smoke rolling just under the hood before being blown out the vent by the blower. I was roasting to a (Northern Italian) level 6 roast, and thats as dark as we go, hits second crack and starts making noticeable smoke but never out of the hood in a still air store interior. Your picture tells me you need more of a hood over the top.  Any breeze on your deck will collect some of that smoke before the filter can collect all of it.  I would take a hard look at the sonofresco hood for inspiration, try rearranging the stuff you already have into something close to the harryho's last drawing and see if you get better results.  If not then re think at least once more before remote roasting and if it works then I agree that the duct should be more heat resistant, although I vent a 2200 deg F kiln with dryer duct and a in duct booster fan with plastic blades  (I think it still has blades?!?!).  ;D

chinesebob

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2008, 10:36:06 AM »
This would be more of an 'open' system right, like a vent that would capture the smoke?

I would think that if it were 'closed' and you were essentially sucking the exhaust out of the roaster, you might run into problems with temps in the roasting chamber.

-Stubbie

You could just buy the hepa filter for the shop vac and that would work instead of the homemade help box.

kwksilver

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2008, 12:01:50 AM »
What you need is called a smoke eater. (I am not kidding)
It does EXACTLY what you want and is a common industrial appliance. Come in all sorts of calibers.
If someone posted this already, my bad. I was not about to read the entire thread just to see if I was the first one to tell you what you need.

for example:

http://www.smokeeaters.org/industrial/

I don't mean the home thingies.
and what YOU REALLY want. Is one of the small industrial vent smoke eaters ducted to your sonofresco outlet. Just pic a modle that is cool with the temperatures. Your air volume is pathetically low so you dont pay that much for the eater.

If the roaster leaks a bit, you want one small room cleaner where ur sonofresco is (this is just icing for your whiny neighbour).

Hope this helps.