Author Topic: GCBC Pour over Pottery update  (Read 5014 times)

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: GCBC Pour over Pottery update
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 05:07:29 PM »
Purrdy. Do you need to preheat it? My guess is that it would pull a lot heat out of the water.

Dennis

I guess you could pre heat, I dont think the water goes through it slow enough to matter... the mugs I use from the same clay keep the coffee fairly warm with out pre heat...

BoldJava

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 02:56:57 PM »
Wild Bill,

Thought you might be interested in the style of the Japanese porcelain pourovers that the gent on the left coast just listed:

http://sweetmarias.com/prod.brewers.shtml#Beehouse_Coffee_Dripper

B|Java

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 03:24:55 PM »
That is a nice way to do a handle, I don't care for the tea cup handles you see on the other ones and no handle is bad.. learned this in the R&D department at the sprawling Stray Clay Studio Campus  ::)

Update... have a few test filter holders just off the wheel sized for the Chemex small filter and looking for some copper wire or tube to make a filter cone holder (like at some coffee bars but cooler looking...

(some fluted some not fluted... the debate goes on  ;)

FinerGrind

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 04:41:42 PM »
Hi, wading into this thread because today I found a 13 cup handblown Chemex MIB at the thrift store today.  It's real purty :-).  I was reading about the filters which you can get at Sweet Marias, but would one of your PoP's work?

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 06:41:35 PM »
Hi, wading into this thread because today I found a 13 cup handblown Chemex MIB at the thrift store today.  It's real purty :-).  I was reading about the filters which you can get at Sweet Marias, but would one of your PoP's work?

Sweet find on the Chemex....    I am using chemex filters.. 

My primary goal is to make a better looking pour over for the little local coffee house up the street.  I decided to pursue a design that uses the chemex filters because arguably that process makes better coffee than the standard paper cone (also its easier to throw a piece of pottery with a 3/4 or 1 inch round hole than to make a melitta style cone holder.

check around the net... I think amazon was cheaper or maybe it was the minimum order that stopped me from using sweet marie's   :icon_scratch:

My chemex is in stiff compotition with the Cory gasketless vac Chemex is easier to clean...

wet the filter with hot water, it gets the aper taste out and heats up the carafe (so I read someplace in here)

FinerGrind

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 04:21:02 AM »
Ah,good advice - I looked back at previous posts and think I'll try paper (for those that don't like "mud" in their cup) and the gold filter for myself.  This was a good find - the box and instructions booklet was on another shelf, and I had to hunt to find the Chemex on another shelf with the glassware.  The pricetag on the box said filters were included, but there were none in the box.  I may go back at lunch today and see if they are on another shelf.  When I was checking out, the little girl behind the counter says "You're in luck - seniors get an additional 20% off today".  Groan.  I didn't argue - I took the discount as payment for the slight (I'm 45).

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 05:56:11 PM »
When I was checking out, the little girl behind the counter says "You're in luck - seniors get an additional 20% off today".  Groan.  I didn't argue - I took the discount as payment for the slight (I'm 45).

?!?! OOUCH ?!?!!

B|Chemex uses the gold filter I think... I may have to try that some day... The Chemex filters are more $ than regular cone filters but still pretty reasonable for good coffee.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 07:15:38 PM »
Pour Over Pottery R&D stalled by market crash?!?!?!
19 Oct 08
Winthrop Harbor (GCBC freak press)

"No stall here" says the VP of R&D at StrayClay "just taking our time to bring a superior product to our thirsty customers"

The black wire holder is not the right size but it is close  :)  and these are only bisque fired, got to find theright buckets to mix our new glazes in.... always something  ~~ sigh ~~

Yes rasqual there are flutes in their (yah flute fruit)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:18:48 PM by J.Jirehs Roaster »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 07:44:32 PM »
Looking good JJ!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 08:24:08 PM »
You are really getting some cool looking designs going there.  8)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 05:34:53 AM »
Those look pretty sweet.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 05:33:54 PM »
Getting closer... this is fresh out of the kiln.. but loading some new ones tonight that I made after actually seeing the small Chemex brewer @ Intelly on Sat.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 05:46:16 PM »
Getting closer...

Oh man... that is cool.

It's starting to look like a haunted forest or when the trees start to walk around type thing.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 05:51:44 PM »
Getting closer...

Oh man... that is cool.

It's starting to look like a haunted forest or when the trees start to walk around type thing.  8)

It suggests that it is ready for Flomax:

http://www.4flomax.com/

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 06:14:16 PM »
Would overly frequent posting be helped by Flomax?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you