Author Topic: Next step up roaster  (Read 5008 times)

Pyment

Re: Next step up roaster
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 11:05:32 AM »
That is great!

You are using it unvented, correct? can you vent it if desired? with what size piping?

If you don't mind my asking, how much did that run you?

BTW Roasters Exchange is also the US distributor for the Roure. Which is electric and weighs 120 lbs. I think they use a cast iron drum. I don't know if they are perforated like their larger roaster.

Right now the top choices are (in no order) are Toper, USRC, Roure (never mind - much more expensive), and Diedrich.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 11:30:59 AM by Pyment »

SamDiscusFlyer

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 02:28:06 PM »
I've seen that little USRC at their shop. Nice compact setup too.
Sam

Mike Anson

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »
I have an electric 1 kilo Toper and it's for sale.  Let me know if you want to check it out.  I'm in Gurnee, IL.

Stubbie

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 05:02:19 AM »
Py-

I have the Coffee-Tech Artigiano 2.5Kg shop roaster set up in my basement.  As you mentioned, very easy install - I just had to run a couple of 220V lines and vent the exhaust outdoors.

I purchased my unit used, but don't think it had seen a single roast on it - my guess is that it was a conversation piece in the shop I bought it from.  The 220V motor on the Cyclone failed very soon after I got it in operation, which after talking to Coffee-Tech, was a known problem with that particular motor.  After sending them an International Money Order, they shipped me a new Siemens motor from Israel, and it has been running great since.

Customer Service was very helpful, but required a call to Tel Aviv on my dime and having to have materials shipped Internationally is a pain.  The way they packed my new motor was horrible, I had to straighten all the blades on the blower fan as they were all mangled from shipping.  They literally put this 20 lb motor and fan in a box and threw a few packing peanuts around it to send it 1/2 way around the world.  I couldn't believe it and was none too happy.

Maybe things have gotten better as Dante noted, but I find their build quality to be mediocre.  Welds were not very clean, things only line up with a little 'technical tap' at times and the drum inside the machine is, um...not so round. :)

I do enjoy it now that I got through all the kinks of buying used, and have cranked out 1000+ pounds of coffee out of it and expect it to crank out 1000's more.  If I were to do it again, I think I would look for a gas model instead, just for the ease of control.

6 out of 10 would be my rating

-Stubbie

crholliday

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 06:11:46 AM »
I was at US Roaster's last friday demoing their 3k. Their quality and service are great. There are a few things I really like:

1. Their control panels are nice. Very convenient and built like a tank.
2. They only uses top notch components
3. You can roast and cool simultaneously
4. You can add on a ton of stuff (profiler, quencher, etc)
5. You have good control over airflow

For our purposes, I think the 3k is too big to use as a sample roaster and too small to make any money with it. It will get you more accustomed to working with a production type roaster and that has merit if your intent is to become a pro. That being said, the way the USRC roasts is very different from the way our Probat roasts. I dont think it is different enough to narrow your future options, but the differences are meaningful enough that you will have to relearn if you ever get a larger roaster.

FinerGrind

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 06:30:30 AM »
I received info regarding the Neoroast.

It looks as if it is a programmable air roaster. I am supposed to be getting a quote soon.

I believe that Woody and I saw that one and they were talking $16,000. It has a catalytic converter and you couldn't smell it roasting.  Didn't require venting.  I will come to your place for the first cupping.

B|Java

I think I remember that little guy - I just checked my pix and I didn't get a shot of it.  It is an attractive setup.

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 08:07:37 AM »
Brian, I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment with Coffee Tech. I ended up getting a Sonofresco mainly because it was so much more convenient to deal with a US based company than an Israeli one. Shipping was a big factor, and service support another, not that I've needed any service for the Sonofresco yet. I was mainly attracted to the Coffee Tech by the price factor and the features that were demoed to my partner when he visited the plant in Tel Aviv. But, convenience won and I have not regretted my choice at all. If I ever need to move up to a bigger roaster, I would still consider Ram Evgi's machines. But I would also take a look at those USRCs. Probat is just too expensive for my needs.
No coffee, No workee!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 10:16:14 AM »
After sending them an International Money Order, they shipped me a new Siemens motor from Israel, and it has been running great since.

Butthead voice: uhh..hehehehehehe, he said...Seimens hehhehehehehehhehe
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Pyment

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 10:54:53 AM »
I have an electric 1 kilo Toper and it's for sale.  Let me know if you want to check it out.  I'm in Gurnee, IL.

Gurnee? Not too far from me!

PM sent.

Pyment

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 02:32:05 PM »
The Discaf 2kg roaster was 7267 Euro (10,261.57 USD) to O'Hare.

must be the weak dollar. It will probably really go up next week.

Charly

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »
 The made in (Veracruz) Mexico MAQAFE 3 kilo roaster was around $3,500 USD, delivered to the closest port to you, last time I checked. It's well built, solid and simple. (I visited the factory and checked it out, and have used several of their larger roasters).  Cute as a kitten, too. They only roast about 6 lbs at a time, max, to a finish in under 20 minutes. Mike M's USRC 3 k roaster can do 10 lbs in 15 minutes, easy. I think it's the rectangular grid for the flames. The MAQAFE has a straight line of jets, it's weak that way. When I get mine in the spring I will try and replace the jets with the same ones in the USRC, and I'll spring for the 1/2 hp fan motor, too. Easy set up, minor work to install the small vent pipe and cyclone.

Charly

lalbjerg

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »
Pyment,

To answer pricing questions please contact USRC.  I paid a reasonable price, far less than those things made in Europe and Nevada.  You can vent it outside with dryer piping.  Having used a Dietrich one pound roaster, I can tell you they do a good job, but they are way underpowered if you want to have flexibility, and play with profiles.  Unless you are willing to go with 220 Volts, I would stay away from an electric roaster that runs on 120. 

Les

Pyment

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 06:27:25 PM »
I got the impression the Diedrich was underpowered by reading some posts of users various places around the net.  

I got my quote from Dan on the 1 lb roaster. shouldn't have asked (taking foot out of mouth.)  I am thinking of making the trek down to Oklahoma City to pick her up and get some training.

The other option I am looking at is a used Primo 5k roaster for just a little more than the USRC. It is a pretty good deal.

crholliday

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 06:37:38 AM »
I got the impression the Diedrich was underpowered by reading some posts of users various places around the net.  

I got my quote from Dan on the 1 lb roaster. shouldn't have asked (taking foot out of mouth.)  I am thinking of making the trek down to Oklahoma City to pick her up and get some training.

The other option I am looking at is a used Primo 5k roaster for just a little more than the USRC. It is a pretty good deal.

If you do decide to come down, get in touch!

Pyment

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 08:59:21 AM »
I think I am down to 2 roasters. A used Pimo 5K and a new USRC 1 lb. The prices are close. Yhey would each do something different for me. If I wasn't planning on staying married, I would probably buy both.

I may go to see the used one soon.

I may ask Dan if there is someone near me (WI) that I can go and look at their set up.