Author Topic: Pour Over Brewers & Filters  (Read 2300 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Pour Over Brewers & Filters
« on: October 24, 2008, 08:52:32 AM »
An Aeropress used to be my go to device for brewing a single cup but lately I almost always use a plastic Melitta #2 pour over ($2.50 at Krogers)and the white Melitta filters because they are quicker and the clean up is easier. I have actually gotten my wife to start using this setup instead of the instant coffee that she normally drinks in the morning.

I have been thinking about picking up one of the porcelain brewers but I am wondering if they really offer any advantage over the cheap plastic one I am currently using.

I have also been using the Metilla brand #2 filters. I have hear that they are the best filters because of the "flavor pores" that allow more of the oils to pass through the filter into the cup. I can say that I do get an oil slick on top of my cup when using the Melitta filters. What paper filters do you guys prefer? Do you prefer the brown paper or the white paper filter (both the brown and white Metilla filters are chlorine free)?

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: Pour Over Brewers & Filters
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:05:25 AM »
I made the switch about 6 months ago as well. I actually sold my Aeropress after I got a pour over made in Japan from the Japanese $1.50 store called Daiso. It is basically a Melitta.

I'm drinking some Bagersh Harrar from it right now. The funny thing is that I don't even use my Newco anymore unless I have guests over. It's too easy to kick on the Elektra, use the hot water tap and have quick fresh coffee.

Joe

edit: As far as the "flavor pores", uhhh...gimmick. I buy my filters at the Diaso store and they have the japanese brand along with melitta, I can't taste the difference. They even have Natural and white(bleached), Heck I have even used a bunn filter in a pinch, if you can taste the difference than you need to start cupping.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:07:58 AM by Joe »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 09:07:44 AM »

I'm drinking some Bagersh Harrar from it right now. The funny thing is that I don't even use my Newco anymore unless I have guests over. It's too easy to kick on the Elektra, use the hot water tap and have quick fresh coffee.

Joe

My recent purchase of an electric kettle makes the whole single cup pour over process super fast. I flip the switch on the kettle and normally by the time it takes me to get the brewer out, grab a filter, and measure the coffee beans the water is almost ready.

My edit to your edit:

I've never done a taste comparison between filters but I have never noticed the oil in the cup before I started using the Melitta.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:11:03 AM by headchange4u »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 09:40:18 AM »
Not to hijack your thread headchange, but what do you see are the advantages of pourover vs. press-pot?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 09:46:43 AM »
Not to hijack your thread headchange, but what do you see are the advantages of pourover vs. press-pot?

Quicker, easier to clean and less breakable, cheaper, takes up less room and the results aren't as much different as you would expect.

Joe
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:38:18 AM »
Even though I sort of "dissed" this in another thread, I do think they are very convenient and I use mine on occasion. In fact, I am going to have a friend of mine who owns a countertop/fabrication shop make me one of the pourover drip stations. I like the idea of using those out in public but cannot justify $500! They make a good camping solution too, as long as you have some place to put your trash.

I can't tell any difference between filters either.

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 12:07:26 PM »

Quicker, easier to clean and less breakable, cheaper, takes up less room and the results aren't as much different as you would expect.

Joe

Ditto that. Also by using a paper filter you don't get fines resulting in a pretty clean cup.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 12:55:35 PM »
Even though I sort of "dissed" this in another thread, I do think they are very convenient and I use mine on occasion. In fact, I am going to have a friend of mine who owns a countertop/fabrication shop make me one of the pourover drip stations. I like the idea of using those out in public but cannot justify $500! They make a good camping solution too, as long as you have some place to put your trash.

I can't tell any difference between filters either.

Shep

Pour over drip station? That's new one on me. I'll have to Google that.

Pour over is the best method I have found for making coffee when I hike. I'm sorta gram weenie when hiking, carrying as little weight as possible on my back. A couple of years ago I switched to using Mini Minit one cup filters to make coffee on the trail. A pack of 40 filters weighs less than an ounce. I just suspend the filters over the top of a 16oz wide mouth Nalagene bottle. Works great.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 02:45:02 PM »
Much less mess.  Smaller (single-cup) works better.   You can do multiples at the same time and everyone gets the coffee that they want at the strength they want.   Does not break.

I have been thinking about picking up one of the porcelain brewers but I am wondering if they really offer any advantage over the cheap plastic one I am currently using.
Porcelain is a disadvantage IMO.  You are making a small amount of coffee, and the porcelain absorbs lots of the heat.  Porcelain removes the 'no breakage' advantage. 

The most recent Melitta model (Ready, Set, Joe) allows you to see into the cup, as opposed to the Melitta Perfect Brew.  I think I like the RSJ better.

I have modified these pourovers in the past with a small neoprene rubber plug to allow for more extraction time.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 03:16:46 PM »
I have been leaning the same way.. I love my vac pot but hate too clean it.. so the Chemex is in strong competition for my Saturday morning coffee... I am currently working on a ceramic filter holder for the small Chemex filters most of my research on line says the chemex makes better coffee than the mellita so if you are interested in something that may cost more than the mellita but way less than the pourover station and your wife may like the aesthetic of it enough to let you leave it out on the counter... stay tuned..

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 03:18:53 PM »
The most recent Melitta model (Ready, Set, Joe) allows you to see into the cup, as opposed to the Melitta Perfect Brew.  I think I like the RSJ better.

I have modified these pourovers in the past with a small neoprene rubber plug to allow for more extraction time.

I am also digging the RSJ.... It saves me a mess when somebody leaves some water in the kettle that I didn't realize was there. :-\  

Pour over cones are unbeatable.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 05:00:07 PM »
I also just bought a RSJ to replace on older, plastic Melitta I had simply because I could see the coffee brewing. That's a real handy feature. Plus it was only $2.50 with my Kroger card. :P

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 05:06:23 PM »
I have been leaning the same way.. I love my vac pot but hate too clean it.. so the Chemex is in strong competition for my Saturday morning coffee... I am currently working on a ceramic filter holder for the small Chemex filters most of my research on line says the chemex makes better coffee than the mellita so if you are interested in something that may cost more than the mellita but way less than the pourover station and your wife may like the aesthetic of it enough to let you leave it out on the counter... stay tuned..

I've got a Bodum Kona 8 cup PO brewer that I use when I need more than just a single cup of coffee. I am thinking about using the #4 filters with the stock gold cone that comes with the Kona to speed up clean up and eliminate the fines. I don't know how well the gold mesh cone would work with the filter.I may be better off getting a #4 Metilla, with the small holes in the bottom, to use with the Kona.

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 02:59:32 PM »

I've got a Bodum Kona 8 cup PO brewer that I use when I need more than just a single cup of coffee. I am thinking about using the #4 filters with the stock gold cone that comes with the Kona to speed up clean up and eliminate the fines. I don't know how well the gold mesh cone would work with the filter.I may be better off getting a #4 Metilla, with the small holes in the bottom, to use with the Kona.

It works; I've already done it! I did a remote roasting demonstration and coffee promotion at a store grand opening today. Aside from roasting and giving away a lot of coffee, I went hoarse from talking to people about brew methods. Aside from my Bunn airpot brewer, I brought along and used a Chemex, a Melita, a French Press and a tabletop Vac Pot. I also took a Moka Pot off the shelf of the store to discuss with a couple college girls who were interested. Most of the people were absolutely amazed at the different ways to make coffee. They didn't have a clue! I bet two girls talked to me for at least 30 minutes about how to brew coffee. People were more interested in my coffee gadgets than they were the YM2 that was roasting coffee in the background. One guys thought it was an espresso machine!

Back on subject, the college girls were thrilled to find out that they could brew exceptional coffee at home on a student's budget.

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 07:04:31 PM »
I bet two girls talked to me for at least 30 minutes about how to brew coffee. People were more interested in my coffee gadgets than they were the YM2 that was roasting coffee in the background. One guys thought it was an espresso machine!

Back on subject, the college girls were thrilled to find out that they could brew exceptional coffee at home on a student's budget.

Shep

Wow. Coffee groupies. Awesome ;D :P