Coffee Discussion boards > Hardware & Equipment

Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks

(1/73) > >>

psedillo:

I roast out on my back patio and with the weather getting cooler in Houston (crazy I know) I was wondering if I need to compensate for the drop in temperatures? If so what should I be doing?

Mlee:
I find myself having to preheat to about the 175-180 mark (instead of the preset beep point of 167)to compensate for the initial heat loss when you drop the beans. Other than that it hums right along. There may be slightly more time between cracks but nothing that really matters. Wind is more of a factor than the cool to me.. Hope that helps

Mike

psedillo:

--- Quote from: Mlee on October 29, 2008, 06:18:21 AM ---I find myself having to preheat to about the 175-180 mark (instead of the preset beep point of 167)to compensate for the initial heat loss when you drop the beans. Other than that it hums right along. There may be slightly more time between cracks but nothing that really matters. Wind is more of a factor than the cool to me.. Hope that helps

Mike

--- End quote ---

Mike - Thank you for the reply, that is the info I was looking for!

5thumbs:
Mike (and others),   How far do you push the lifetime of the Hottop filters (top and side), or do you change them regularly?  I rinse them out once in awhile to "double" the suggested lifetime of them.  Also I pull the back filter partially out after 1st crack, and fully out after once 2nd crack has started and during cooling.   Has not been a problem for me but just wanted to know if you have "pushed the limits" with the filters and if you have noticed any effects.

Mlee:
I shoot for about 40-50 roasts with the rear filter and about 100-110 with the top one. Really dont notice much difference in letting them go that long.The times and results are pretty consistent...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version