Author Topic: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 81928 times)

jimbo

Re: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #315 on: March 17, 2014, 09:26:11 AM »
I have one of the older 8828D models that has been relegated to the back of the shelf to be pulled out only occasionally when I want to roast a smaller batch than my Sono does.

I'm considering upgrading the roaster so that I can have more control and work with it and learn from it before I go big.  It looks like for $320 I can take the roaster to 8828B-2 and possibly for a few $$ more take it to 8828B-2K.

Has anyone done this upgrade (or similar?) Do you feel like it was worth it?  For anyone with the B-2 or B-2K do you feel like you have, more-or-less, full control over the roast?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jimbo

RobertL

« Reply #316 on: March 17, 2014, 09:34:54 AM »
Artisan software gives me better information on progress of the roast, with ability to compare prior roasts. I don't have the HTC controller board yet - but I plan to do so next year. I won't forget what I have learned about roasting "by hand".

The hardware to control the Hottop (from Jim Galt) became available in February. I just ordered it today.

How did the install go? I already have temp probes installed and I'm considering installing a HT/TC4. I'm interested in hearing your feedback on how difficult the install was.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #317 on: March 17, 2014, 06:46:19 PM »
The hardware to control the Hottop (from Jim Galt) became available in February. I just ordered it today.

How did the install go? I already have temp probes installed and I'm considering installing a HT/TC4. I'm interested in hearing your feedback on how difficult the install was.

Nothing to to report yet - I won't get to install it until mid-April. I barely have enough time for roasting coffee now ...
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

smico

« Reply #318 on: March 18, 2014, 02:49:51 AM »
I'm considering upgrading the roaster so that I can have more control and work with it and learn from it before I go big.  It looks like for $320 I can take the roaster to 8828B-2 and possibly for a few $$ more take it to 8828B-2K.
Jimbo,
JimG has an older model and you should ask him if your HT supports the TC4C + HTC as is.  If not, go for the cheapest upgrade option.  After you plug in the new controller only one HT profile is used: 100% Fan and 100% Heat, and profiling is done with Artisan or Roastlogger.
Coupled with low resistance filter (I use Scotch-Brite scour pad), you can have very precise control of your roast, and replay to repeat previously saved roasts with almost perfect curve tracking.
I roast from 100 to 300 grams, but I have to pump up the power with variac for higher loads.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Miroslav

jimbo

« Reply #319 on: March 18, 2014, 06:49:09 AM »
Thanks Miroslav.  That's great information.  Based on the web site it looks like the upgrade can be done to my machine.  I was wondering if it would give me the control I'm looking for, and meant to ask that in my original email.  It looks to be quite a bit less expensive than going the Hottop route.

Thanks again!

Jimbo

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #320 on: March 18, 2014, 02:09:59 PM »
Has anyone done this upgrade (or similar?) Do you feel like it was worth it?  For anyone with the B-2 or B-2K do you feel like you have, more-or-less, full control over the roast?

The TC4C + HTC gives you even more control than the full manual control of a Hottop B-2K. For example, you can control the both the power and the fan in 10% increments. The standard B-2K only allows 25% increments for the fan.

Another GCBC user (Barrie) has created a guide for controlling the HotTop via the artisan software and the TC4C + HTC board. It is available in the downloads section of the homeroasters web site.

Check out Jim Galt's Users Guide for more details on on the installation of the TC4C + HTC board inside the HotTop.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

smico

« Reply #321 on: March 18, 2014, 04:23:15 PM »
Jimbo,

This is not fair comparison because original HT automation ends at three time based profiles.
TC4 + HTC + Artisan or Roastlogger will give you full control of your roast. You can save every roast, and later on replay it. There is a learning curve, of course, but I can assure you that you will be able to achieve perfect curve overlap over the template roast. I was even roasting 60g for cupping. You controll fan and heat with 1% increments, although fan control is not as precise.

Automation is based on ingenious setup that I first saw in Roastlogger:
Up to the first crack triggers are fired based on BT
After FC triggers are fired based on time from the FC.

As I said previously, if you can go without wasting money on HT upgrade, go for the TC4 + HTC. Do check with JimG first though. He is great guy, busy at times, but aren't we all.

Look up at Homeroaster forum. I read about some new product that use native USB communication, not serial port communication...

Offline az erik

• Standard User
  • Never enough time
« Reply #322 on: March 20, 2014, 12:01:58 PM »
Jimbo,

As I said previously, if you can go without wasting money on HT upgrade, go for the TC4 + HTC. Do check with JimG first though. He is great guy, busy at times, but aren't we all.

Look up at Homeroaster forum. I read about some new product that use native USB communication, not serial port communication...

This is how I ended up with a HTC+TC4C. Then modded my fan outlet to blow out as much smoke as possible. Quite happy with the results. It has a learning curve but once you understand and see it you can adjust accordingly. Stuff the HT just doesn't tell you. I havn't got the urge to use Artisan yet though I have it, but think I need to reflash the TC4C for it to work. Instead I keep pricing out Sono's and sample roasters.
Home:
Huky500 & 15kBTU + Artisan
Vivaldi S1 V2
Compak K6 Pro / Doserless conversion
Office:
Areopress and Skerton keep me running

jimbo

« Reply #323 on: March 28, 2014, 09:51:28 AM »
HTC+TC4C on order.  Stay tuned.  Installation looks a bit involved, and fortunately the Hottop is not my regular roaster so I'll be able to take my time and hopefully not end up with a boat anchor at the end.

Jimbo

jimbo

« Reply #324 on: April 01, 2014, 06:35:03 AM »
HTC+TC4C on order.  Stay tuned.  Installation looks a bit involved, and fortunately the Hottop is not my regular roaster so I'll be able to take my time and hopefully not end up with a boat anchor at the end.

Jimbo

Curious what some of you have used for the K thermocouples.  Where did you source them?  I'm looking at a couple of options on eBay, but thought I'd toss it out there.  Based on the write up it looks liek the bare wire ones are the best option.

Jim

Offline az erik

• Standard User
  • Never enough time
« Reply #325 on: April 04, 2014, 12:07:46 PM »

Jimbo

It's not that bad really, the most time consuming part is drilling the hole for the led and mounting the probes.

BWT here videos of my fan mod
Hottop exhaust smoke on Vimeo

Fan on 20% bt right about 350 on Vimeo

Videos of the exhaust
Home:
Vivaldi S1 V2
Office:

SJM

« Reply #326 on: April 04, 2014, 01:05:27 PM »
Has anyone figured out how to rig a mirror or something so that you can see the front of the drum and the control panel at the same time? 

Susan

Offline az erik

• Standard User
  • Never enough time
« Reply #327 on: April 04, 2014, 01:57:34 PM »
Has anyone figured out how to rig a mirror or something so that you can see the front of the drum and the control panel at the same time? 

Susan
Once you have a TC4C why would you need to see the control board? It beeps, push a button continue :)

The lack of trier and power drove me out of the HT. You should be able to get away with a quick glance at either I figure. I honestly watch BT and smoke more than the drum.
Home:
Vivaldi S1 V2
Office:

SJM

« Reply #328 on: April 04, 2014, 02:10:57 PM »

Susan
Once you have a TC4C why would you need to see the control board? It beeps, push a button continue :)

The lack of trier and power drove me out of the HT. You should be able to get away with a quick glance at either I figure. I honestly watch BT and smoke more than the drum.

Makes sense, but as a beginner I'd like to be able to correlate what I am seeing in the bean color with what the temp is reading. 

Offline az erik

• Standard User
  • Never enough time
« Reply #329 on: April 04, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »
I agree. I actually roast looking at the window, but mostly due to my laptop being in front of it. It's dark on my patio so i don't get the ability to see color change really.

I can tell you this about the HT's temp reading, it's quite far off from what reality is. A BT probe will tell you a lot more. My BT can be 430 and the HT only registering 405.  I actually think sometimes the TC4C and all the feedback I get from it makes like a little more complicated past a certain point.

On another note perhaps a makeup mirror would be perfect. I've used my wife's in the past to find random tools in my engine bays :)
Home:
Vivaldi S1 V2
Office: