Author Topic: Trashed my Rocky Grinder??  (Read 943 times)

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
Trashed my Rocky Grinder??
« on: October 30, 2008, 06:28:11 AM »
In a foogy haze the other morning I ended up pouring a small bit of water in my grinder. I got most out as quickly as I could. I took the burrs off and dried that out. I left town for a couple of days and when I went to grind again I got the most horrible grinding, dragging noise coming from the motor area. I am thinking the water got in there and it trashed something...rust??? It grinds ok but makes a heck of a racket.

Any ideas on if this is salvageable or not. I have never taken it fully apart and am not much mechanically inclined. Help!!!!!!

I never realized how much I was on auto pilot until we just recently moved and my grinder/brewer placement changed...
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

barko78

Re: Trashed my Rocky Grinder??
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 07:47:44 AM »
In a foogy haze the other morning I ended up pouring a small bit of water in my grinder. I got most out as quickly as I could. I took the burrs off and dried that out. I left town for a couple of days and when I went to grind again I got the most horrible grinding, dragging noise coming from the motor area. I am thinking the water got in there and it trashed something...rust??? It grinds ok but makes a heck of a racket.

Any ideas on if this is salvageable or not. I have never taken it fully apart and am not much mechanically inclined. Help!!!!!!

I never realized how much I was on auto pilot until we just recently moved and my grinder/brewer placement changed...

I don't know how the internals are in the Rock but I'd be more worried about any type of bearing in the housing making noise.  If you're able to, seperate the motor from its load and run the motor by its self to check it.  Then add the shaft/burrs to the mix.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 08:13:40 AM »
Are you sure that you got the burrs back in straight?  You might have dropped something solid in there, as well...

kwksilver

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 08:55:05 PM »
what BW said. loud noise? crunchy?  not the bearing certainly not your motor.

the bottom side of ur motor has metal fan blades that can hit the coil if u mis-align the shaft.

OR... more likely... what BW said...