Author Topic: Gino Rossi RR45  (Read 11308 times)

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
Gino Rossi RR45
« on: November 03, 2008, 07:53:19 AM »
Just picked up a used Gino Rossi RR45 grinder on e-bay.  Seller describes it as needing a good cleaning.  I am totally new to these grinders (and hopefully not over my head).  I'd appreciate any help on do's and don'ts foe a thorough cleaning.  Also, if I needed to replace the burrs (seller says I don't) is that a difficult task? Are the burrs available?

Duh!  I should have asked all of this BEFORE I bought, but what can I say, I'm impulsive.
Bob Feuker

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: Gino Rossi RR45
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 08:05:34 AM »
very easy, grind raw white rice. But you should first just disassemble it, take a small brush and shop vac to it. If it were me I would buy it some new burrs.

edit: you will probably want to disable the auto doser refill or have some way to change it to manual.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:07:33 AM by Joe »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

milowebailey

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:21:46 AM »
It's easy to clean, burrs are easy to replace.  Good choice.  They are great, heavy duty grinders.

Take it all apart.  The doser comes off with a couple screws, the hopper unscrews and once off you can look at the burrs.

You can get burrs  there are photos on this link when I cleaned mine a few months ago.

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=3482.0
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:52:28 AM by Joe »

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:27:56 AM »
I have one of these and all of the parts (including burr sets) you might need are available and at reasonable prices.  A set of burrs is supposed to last for 600 pounds of beans. http://www.espressoparts.com/product/MC_66/MC_66__Rossi_RR4545A_Espresso_Grinder_Burrs.html

If yours is like mine you'll have a big cleaning job on your hands. Fortunately, the web site I linked to has a couple of exploded diagrams that should help you out if you forget how something goes back together.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:03:35 AM »
I have an RR45 too, and they're good machines.  Mine only gets used for the few customers who want their beans ground, so it's not my daily grinder.  Depending on your plans for yours, you may get by like Joe said and just run some rice thru it.  Just make sure you cook it 'til it's tender so you don't dull the burrs.   ;)

If you don't need the doser, they're easy to convert to doserless.  Milowebailey hooked me up w/ a piece of 4" PVC as a faceplate, and if you're going that route we can post some pics.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 09:10:59 AM »

If you don't need the doser, they're easy to convert to doserless.  Milowebailey hooked me up w/ a piece of 4" PVC as a faceplate, and if you're going that route we can post some pics.

pics are in this thread if you choose to go doserless.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 09:27:27 AM »
you may get by like Joe said and just run some rice thru it.  Just make sure you cook it 'til it's tender so you don't dull the burrs.   ;)

rice wont dull the burrs just go for it, cooked rice would be a sticky mess.

Joe

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 09:28:16 AM »

don't do it....this could end up in HT pretty quickly. Doserless is half a grinder ;D

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »
You guys are fantastic.  Thanks for all the tips.  I've ordered new burrs and will disassemble as much as I dare to for cleaning.  The diagrams on the espresso parts website shold be real helpful if I stumble putting it back together.  Trouble is I'm an accountant, not an engineer - takes me hours to underdstand even those simple diagrams  :).

Just a short dumb question.  I should run the rice through before I put in the new burrs, right? Or is the point of the rice to clean the burrs????
Bob Feuker

milowebailey

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 10:01:39 AM »

don't do it....this could end up in HT pretty quickly. Doserless is half a grinder ;D

Yes, but a half a Rossi is still way better than many grinders out there! ;D

milowebailey

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 10:10:56 AM »
You guys are fantastic.  Thanks for all the tips.  I've ordered new burrs and will disassemble as much as I dare to for cleaning.  The diagrams on the espresso parts website shold be real helpful if I stumble putting it back together.  Trouble is I'm an accountant, not an engineer - takes me hours to underdstand even those simple diagrams  :).

Just a short dumb question.  I should run the rice through before I put in the new burrs, right? Or is the point of the rice to clean the burrs????
If you are going to disassemble it... my advice, contrary to Joe's ;D is just clean it good while it's apart.

Take some photos before you disassemble anything and as you go along.  Photos may be more helpful than the diagram.  You can pull the doser off and clean it without fully disassembling it.  It's 3 screws to remove the doser.  You can soak it in hot soapy water to clean it up.  Rinse it really, really well.

On the bottom there are 4 screws that you can pull the motor out if you want then clean the whole housing in hot soapy water (don't put the motor in the water). 

If you only want to replace the burrs, then use the rice before you replace the burrs.  Then just unscrew the hopper (depress the adjustment lever and twist counterclockwise).  Don't loose the adjusting lever or spring once the hopper is off.   Once the hopper is off, the Burrs come off with 6 screws (3 for each burr).  You could use a small brush and shopvac to clean out the old coffee.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 10:59:47 AM »
the only part that is contrary to our advise is the removing and keeping removed doser part.

1. I suggest that if you plan on just cleaning the machine you can remove the top burr and vacuum out everything.

2. If you don't even want to attempt that run some white rice through it and vacuum out the doser.

3. If you want to go hardcore you can disassemble it replace the Burrs ($40) clean and vacuum everything using a needle to scrape all the narrow channels and stuck grounds, reassemble and revert to mainenance cleaning mode.

4. last choice not recommended, make a clumping static cling monster by removing the doser and always have to be hovering around you grinder while you could be getting other things on your espresso machine prepared for your masterpiece.

Joe

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 11:55:28 AM »
4. last choice not recommended, make a clumping static cling monster by removing the doser and always have to be hovering around you grinder while you could be getting other things on your espresso machine prepared for your masterpiece.
Joe

Introducing the Never-Clump-Doser-Removal mod;

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 12:08:30 PM »
Even if it were true (not yet convinced) you still have to be standing over your grinder while it is grinding. Why would you want to do that? Unless you were grinding into a bag at a grocery store the Doser is an incredible convenience. You grind the beans they go into the doser, meanwhile you can pull some blank shots and warm your espresso glass, you can prepare your porta filter and then at your convenience you can dose!! Amazing. I am shocked anyone would want to remove this ability it never made sense to me.

Joe

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 12:12:06 PM »
Mine only gets used for the few customers who want their beans ground, so it's not my daily grinder.  Depending on your plans for yours, you may get by like Joe said and just run some rice thru it.  Just make sure you cook it 'til it's tender so you don't dull the burrs.   ;)

First sentence says it all.

Plus the cooked rice kept clogging up the doser.  ;)