Author Topic: Gino Rossi RR45  (Read 11305 times)

milowebailey

Re: Gino Rossi RR45
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 12:35:16 PM »
Even if it were true (not yet convinced) you still have to be standing over your grinder while it is grinding. Why would you want to do that? Unless you were grinding into a bag at a grocery store the Doser is an incredible convenience. You grind the beans they go into the doser, meanwhile you can pull some blank shots and warm your espresso glass, you can prepare your porta filter and then at your convenience you can dose!! Amazing. I am shocked anyone would want to remove this ability it never made sense to me.

Joe
If you only want to grind enough for one shot, with a doser you really can't.  You end up grinding too little or too much, so you end up either waisting coffee or letting it sit for the next day in the doser (yuck) .....

If I'm only pulling a shot or two.  Waiting 10 second, standing by my grinder is no big deal.  It works out well for me.

milowebailey

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 12:51:51 PM »
4. last choice not recommended, make a clumping static cling monster by removing the doser and always have to be hovering around you grinder while you could be getting other things on your espresso machine prepared for your masterpiece.
Joe

Introducing the Never-Clump-Doser-Removal mod;

Peter

Is the clothespin to hold your chopsticks?

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 12:53:59 PM »
Even if it were true (not yet convinced) you still have to be standing over your grinder while it is grinding. Why would you want to do that? Unless you were grinding into a bag at a grocery store the Doser is an incredible convenience. You grind the beans they go into the doser, meanwhile you can pull some blank shots and warm your espresso glass, you can prepare your porta filter and then at your convenience you can dose!! Amazing. I am shocked anyone would want to remove this ability it never made sense to me.

Joe
If you only want to grind enough for one shot, with a doser you really can't.  You end up grinding too little or too much, so you end up either waisting coffee or letting it sit for the next day in the doser (yuck) .....

If I'm only pulling a shot or two.  Waiting 10 second, standing by my grinder is no big deal.  It works out well for me.

False on all accounts. If you open the lid to the doser you can watch the amounts falling in and stop the grinder at just the right amount if you are extremely anal about not losing a grain of ground coffee. You also have the freedom to grind away by opening the hopper gate and closing when you think it's about right and waste a few teaspoons for those of us not as concerned. I have seen more waste from doserless models spraying coffee everywhere while adjusting the grounds or going too far and now you have no where to sweep the grounds. With a doser you can distribute right over the doser and really have the best of both worlds as you can use the swept grounds for the next shot. It's nice using the lid of the doser upside down resting on the forks to dose all remaining grounds out of the doser so no yucky day old grounds remain-really easy and all the yuky grounds are contained and not all over the counter. Another option is to mark on the outside of your hopper or take mental notes of how much coffee = a shot, double, triple approximately. luckily for me the Mazzer hopper has Vanes give me an approximate mark. Or you could keep your beans in the hopper for a week-Yuk :P I would bet money that you stand longer than 10 sec over your grinder and then you have to make sure you have a bucket to perform your distribution over and if you do the Weiss method forget about it. Chris tried to convince me of the doserless and I watched him switch back, the only benefit is for what Peter is using it for which is to grind a lb for someone into a bag.

Joe
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:00:00 PM by Joe »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »
Having the doser on a home machine generally sucks, IMHO. I've purchased the stuff to replicate your doserless mod, Milowebailey, but haven't got around to it.

What I generally do is measure enough beans into the empty hopper for however many shots I plan on making right away and then immediately sweep out the doser with a paint brush to get it all out. Kind of a pain, but I'm used to it. I have a small glass bowl with a tight fitting lid that I dose into and I almost never dose into the portafilter as I'm usually trying to get it warmed up in the machine as I'm grinding the beans.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 12:56:31 PM »
Chopsticks?  Did you say CHOPSTICKS?!?  Are you trying to start something, buster?   ;D  You think just because I'm Asian I know where all the Chinese restaurants are?   ;D

Clothespin holds the bag, so I can do like Joe said, and take care of something else for the 2min37sec. it takes to run a pound through.

Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 12:58:20 PM »
Having the doser on a home machine generally sucks, IMHO. I

Now I agree that Dosers on cheaper home model grinders are almost comical. Some I have seen actually turn the grinder when you are using the dosing handle because they are so light. But on heavy commercial grinders IMO they are a blessing.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:00:20 PM by Joe »

milowebailey

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 01:10:30 PM »
Clothespin holds the bag, so I can do like Joe said, and take care of something else for the 2min37sec. it takes to run a pound through.
The bag of white rice?  Do you grind it and then reuse it? ;D

milowebailey

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 01:18:57 PM »

False on all accounts. If you open the lid to the doser you can watch the amounts falling in and stop the grinder at just the right amount if you are extremely anal about not losing a grain of ground coffee. You also have the freedom to grind away by opening the hopper gate and closing when you think it's about right and waste a few teaspoons for those of us not as concerned. I have seen more waste from doserless models spraying coffee everywhere while adjusting the grounds or going too far and now you have no where to sweep the grounds. With a doser you can distribute right over the doser and really have the best of both worlds as you can use the swept grounds for the next shot. It's nice using the lid of the doser upside down resting on the forks to dose all remaining grounds out of the doser so no yucky day old grounds remain-really easy and all the yuky grounds are contained and not all over the counter. Another option is to mark on the outside of your hopper or take mental notes of how much coffee = a shot, double, triple approximately. luckily for me the Mazzer hopper has Vanes give me an approximate mark. Or you could keep your beans in the hopper for a week-Yuk :P I would bet money that you stand longer than 10 sec over your grinder and then you have to make sure you have a bucket to perform your distribution over and if you do the Weiss method forget about it. Chris tried to convince me of the doserless and I watched him switch back, the only benefit is for what Peter is using it for which is to grind a lb for someone into a bag.

Joe
Hmmm, well when I got my grinder the doser was broken so I converted it to doserless.... per a suggestion from one of our Admins...  After I did the mod Herr Peter sent me his doser and I have never put it on....

I see your point... as I do have to clean a minimal amount of coffee up off the counter, dog, floor.... so maybe I'll put it back on and try it... It's only 3 screws..  I'll try it and see if I like it any better.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 03:15:48 PM »

Now I agree that Dosers on cheaper home model grinders are almost comical. Some I have seen actually turn the grinder when you are using the dosing handle because they are so light. But on heavy commercial grinders IMO they are a blessing.

Well, I wasn't really referring to a consumer model when I said "home machine." Mine is a Rossi RR45, too. My gripe with the doser is the 3-6 grams of coffee left in it every time you grind some coffee, which means you have to clean out each time. And since I can never get my wife to remember to to do it after she uses it, I have to clean it out the stale old coffee in there before I can use it most times, too.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 03:39:55 PM »
Mod on brother, mod on.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 06:10:49 PM »

Well, I wasn't really referring to a consumer model when I said "home machine." Mine is a Rossi RR45, too. My gripe with the doser is the 3-6 grams of coffee left in it every time you grind some coffee, which means you have to clean out each time. And since I can never get my wife to remember to to do it after she uses it, I have to clean it out the stale old coffee in there before I can use it most times, too.

??? when I use mine there isn't any more grounds than are left over from static clinged grounds, If I am being anal like during cupping I have a little brush and it makes it all go away with a few sweeps and a merry go round in the doser. I have seen people cut a packaging foam piece the size of one of the dose sections and it sweeps everything out without using a brush it works great and doesn't fall out.

Joe

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 06:45:36 PM »
Interesting. I guess mine has more static electricity going on than yours. Maybe the wire "sweeper thingy" (excuse the technical jargon  :)) on mine isn't the best either.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 09:40:41 PM »
Interesting. I guess mine has more static electricity going on than yours. Maybe the wire "sweeper thingy" (excuse the technical jargon  :)) on mine isn't the best either.

Those are useless unless you are filling up your doser. I have a Mazzer Super Jolly so it's slightly different.

Joe

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 09:48:39 PM »

Joe
Hmmm, well when I got my grinder the doser was broken so I converted it to doserless.... per a suggestion from one of our Admins...  After I did the mod Herr Peter sent me his doser and I have never put it on....

I see your point... as I do have to clean a minimal amount of coffee up off the counter, dog, floor.... so maybe I'll put it back on and try it... It's only 3 screws..  I'll try it and see if I like it any better.

Give it a good go and you might like it better. When I got my Mazzer it was the brand new cool thing to switch to doserless and everyone at coffeegeek was spending $150+ to switch their Mazzers to the grocery style doserless kits. I had always wanted a commercial grinder w/doser and all so I didn't fall into the trap. Chris' arrived he had to make some mods and I got to see his in action a few times. There were instances where I had to grind a lb or 2 for someone who wanted preground and I saw the advantage for that, but other than that I couldn't see any benefit. Then people started to complain about static and clumping on HB, and people started coming up with fixes like grinding into a Styrofoam cup to break up the clumps, then it started coming around that if you had just kept your doser on you wouldn't have any issues. full circle.

Joe

donn

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 03:23:17 PM »
I have seen people cut a packaging foam piece the size of one of the dose sections and it sweeps everything out without using a brush it works great and doesn't fall out.

Our NS MCF doser leaves hardly a trace behind, assuming you work it through the whole dose cycle.  I wonder if there's an adjustment issue, and the partitions on some of these dosers aren't flush with the bottom?

I thought at first you all must be talking about the throat, between the burrs and the doser, where we do get a teaspoon or so of grounds, as I guess may happen with any grinder.  Doser or not, I'd want easy access to the throat to get that stuff out - sometimes it's decaf.

We pour a single dose in the hopper.  We can estimate that as well or better than a untamped mound in the portafilter, and that's how it's going to be anyway if the next dose will be a different coffee.  I've used a doser-less Solis, didn't like that.