Author Topic: Newbie Needs Recommendation  (Read 2772 times)

trawlerjohn

Newbie Needs Recommendation
« on: November 04, 2008, 10:56:59 AM »
Hey all,
I joined this forum to learn more about coffee.  I'm not sure I'm ready to get into roasting yet, but who knows.  What I do need is a recommendation for a good coffee maker that doesn't cost $250.  My Mr Coffee just isn't doing it for me.  At the moment I'm using Gevalia Dark Roast as the feed stock for my mug of Joe.  Any help with choosing a coffee maker that can extract the best from my coffee will be deeply appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Pyment

Re: Newbie Needs Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:06:49 AM »
we have a group buy going on the Newco OCS. http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=1298.420

I like You might be better served to get a good burr grinder and a french press. You get more bang for the buck with (in order):

1) fresh roasted coffee

2) a good burr grinder (to grind just prior to brewing)

3) good palatable water (99% of coffee is really water)

4) good preparation equipment. (important, but not as important as most people think)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:15:24 AM »
What Pyment said.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 11:17:36 AM »
(welcome aboard trawlerjohn)
What Pyment said.. I came here looking for the Newco deal and have not got one yet.. but I am making much better coffee with a better grinder and simpler brewing methods.. poke around in Hardware and Equipment get to know the methods and see what you think... and ask lots of questions...

Pyment

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 11:39:24 AM »
I suggested FP because it is simple and you can get a decent one for not much cash (enabling more $ for the grinder). As for equipment, most will say the place to put your $ is the grinder. It makes sense to keep costs down on the other stuff.

It also shows what gets lost in paper filters. You'll be surprised.

trawlerjohn

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 01:23:33 PM »
Thanks, all, for the advice.  I currently have a Krups coffee grinder, kinda like a small blender.  If a burr grinder is better, which ones do you recommend?
But as to the actual coffee maker, what's the opinion of the OCA-8?  And is there a method for finding the best price?
John

trawlerjohn

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 01:27:04 PM »
Oops I meant the OCS 8, can't type worth a toot.
John

Pyment

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 01:58:19 PM »
As for a grinder, it depends on your bankroll, how heavily you will use it, are you going to make espresso.

I am presuming just drip.

I would say you go over to coffeegeek and look at the consumer reviews.

The tier that is towards the bottom includes the Capresso Infinity, Solis Maestro, Saeco Titan

Going in to Bed Bath and Beyond using one of their 20% coupons and get the Capresso for about $72

Next step up is the Kitchenaid Proline grinder. There are refurb units on Ebay and just looking briefly there are some for about $160 to be found.

Above that you are getting into Rocky range. Which would be about where espresso grinders start.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:00:00 PM by Pyment »

Stubbie

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 03:05:45 PM »
Costco has the Saeco Titan for $99.  I have one that I got for $70 from them on sale and love it for all my drip brewing needs.

-Stubbie

Pyment

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 03:38:53 PM »
I got 3 of the $70 Titans. I like mine as well. I just don't know if it is worth $100 when you can get the infinity for $72 with one of their 20% off coupons.

trawlerjohn

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:39:31 AM »
Again, Thanks all for the recommendations.  Got a lot of reading in the next few days I guess.

How do I buy the OCS 8 through this forum??

John

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 11:13:51 AM »
Again, Thanks all for the recommendations.  Got a lot of reading in the next few days I guess.

How do I buy the OCS 8 through this forum??

John

Click on the link in reply #1 and read from the beginning of the post ... all the information is there.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Pyment

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 12:28:15 PM »
except no need to ask for JoAnn. Anyone in customer service should be able to help you.

Offline 4thJohn

• Standard User
  • Psalms 118:8
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 04:25:15 PM »
Newbie,
Don"t be afraid to start roasting your own.There is a book by Kenneth Davids called "Home Coffee Roasting-Romance and Revival",its loaded with information on buying green coffee, the roasting process,brewing ect.I paid $1.50 at a second hand store for my first roaster(a poppery II popcorn maker)that still roasts a mean bean.
You will will find that after about three attempts,you will be roasting some pretty decent coffee,for about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of the brand you mentioned,and before long you will be roasting coffee comparable,no,better than $tarbuck$.
Remember,nothing tastes better than fresh roasted coffee!
John
Pull shots left handed.    Is that like getting a little 'strange' in your coffee cup... 

Aaron

trawlerjohn

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 08:46:46 AM »
Again, Thanks for all the help.

I just ordered a OCS 8 from Joann so I 'm anxious to give it a try.  Will report back after a couple of cups!
Their price has now gone up to $99, and as stated before, you don't have to speak to Joann, any customer service rep will be delighted to help.

Now comes the grinder, and then a roaster maybe.
Rest assured I will be back with numerous questions, but now its time to go boating!!

John