Author Topic: Newbie Needs Recommendation  (Read 2771 times)

trawlerjohn

Re: Newbie Needs Recommendation
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 11:52:26 AM »
After  a few weeks of using my Newco OCS 8 brewer, I'm delighted to report that my coffee has never tasted better, and the aroma....oh my!!  As has already been mentioned, the carafe does pour slowly, but that hasn't been a problem.  My wife insisted that we still needed 12 cup capability at times so I ordered a 12 cup carafe.  By covering the hole in the top of the water chamber I can fill to a 12 cup capacity.  I covered the water chamber hole with some clear, packing tape.  This seals it yet allows light to enter so that it still functions as a max fill for the 8 cup carafe.  The 12 cup carafe fits like it was made for it.  The only downside is that the floating ball level indicator stops at 8 cups so 12 cup measurement is essential.  That has presented no problem, just measure the water with the carafe.

Standard 8-12 cup filters available at the local supermarket are a tad too short, thus there is some overflow of grinds occasionally.  I ordered filters, on-line, that are a bit taller and work O.K., but have yet to find a source for the tall filters Newco included with brewer.  Any suggestions where one might purchase them?  Their importance becomes clear when I make 12 cups.

All in all I am extremely pleased with this brewer.

Thanks to all for your help.  Maybe next year, if Santa doesn't come through, I will explore roasters and burr grinders, so be prepared for more questions from this Newbie!!

John

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 04:26:54 PM »

Thanks to all for your help.  Maybe next year, if Santa doesn't come through, I will explore roasters and burr grinders, so be prepared for more questions from this Newbie!!

John

Bring it.. the thing we have more of than coffee around here is opinions...    ;D

brewerman

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 12:21:54 PM »
Again, Thanks for all the help.

I just ordered a OCS 8 from Joann so I 'm anxious to give it a try.  Will report back after a couple of cups!
Their price has now gone up to $99, and as stated before, you don't have to speak to Joann, any customer service rep will be delighted to help.

Now comes the grinder, and then a roaster maybe.
Rest assured I will be back with numerous questions, but now its time to go boating!!

John

Newco Enterprises is currently out of stock of all the OCS brewer models and is not expecting any in till May 2009