Author Topic: Roaster Upgrade Blog  (Read 4008 times)

Offline shep

• Standard User
Roaster Upgrade Blog
« on: November 07, 2008, 03:56:44 PM »
Well, I have roasted my last roast on my YM2. It is all cleaned up and ready to be loaded for a trip to its new home. Tomorrow I will be heading to Florida to make a swap with another roaster. I will be coming home with a YM10. Hopefully I will have it installed late next week an be up and running just in time to catch up. Just for kicks I thought I would do a daily blog with a a few photos of our "exchange adventure." So, if you have nothing better to do during the next few days, check into my site at www.btownbeans.com and enjoy the antics! You will especially want to tune in later next week to see shots of use lowering a 600 pound roaster down into a basement stairwell!

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

cfsheridan

Re: Roaster Upgrade Blog
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »
Commence OPERATION HIJACK   >:D

Arrrg...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 04:46:15 PM by cfsheridan »

Stubbie

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 04:40:21 PM »
Pirates are thick amongst these parts...

Arrrrrgh!

-Stubbie

jspain

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 04:58:14 PM »
Shep,

Good luck on the adventure! I'll be following along on your web site! Jim  ;D

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »
Hey Shep.... what are you driving >:D

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 06:47:10 PM »
Hey Shep.... what are you driving >:D

What else do you drive when you are on a "Mission from God?!"

Shep

milowebailey

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 08:10:25 AM »
Is that an Ambex on your roof or are you just glad to see me?

Edit:  Shep I noticed on your blog... no comments, so I was going to leave one.... but I get the following error:

The blog site says "Made on a Mac" :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 08:14:40 AM by milowebailey »

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 03:39:27 PM »
Is that an Ambex on your roof or are you just glad to see me?

Edit:  Shep I noticed on your blog... no comments, so I was going to leave one.... but I get the following error:

The blog site says "Made on a Mac" :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Yes, I have been having some technical problems lately. Here is what I think happened. I was taking a "fluff" computer class as one of my electives and when we began discussing viruses, etc, I made the mistake of saying that one of the nice things about being in the Mac minority is that there does not seem to be as much interest in "infecting" them. Well, I got a few comments from a classmate who seemed to take it as if I were bragging or claiming superiority. That was not what I meant. Long story short; I have had trouble ever since! I think they "hexed" me!

Today did not go as planned. I traveled 350 miles "locally" and am zero miles from home! If you want the full horror story, check the upcoming blog I will post shortly.

Shep

FinerGrind

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 05:02:18 PM »
Ugg, I feel for you - it sounds like today was a challenge.  As you know, roasters are very top heavy, so I have one word for you - flat-strap.  When I went to pick up my YM-15, I took several come-alongs with me and secured the roaster by hooking the roasters steel frame from the front and back, and I also took two more come-alongs and pulled the steel cable on either side of the roaster, passed a 20ft flat nylon strap under the trailer, under the steel cable, over the roaster, back under the steel cable, and sinched it down so the only way that roaster was tiping over, is if the trailer did.  And one time I took a curve a bit too fast, and my blood ran cold because I thought I saw it tip a bit.

Good luck getting to sunny Florida - we'll be cheering you on here.  If you are coming through Alabama and run into any trouble, PM me - I'm in town this weekend.

Woody

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 05:15:59 PM »
You are right about the top heavy thing. Even the little YM2 is awkward to carry because of its weight distribution. I have it strapped in well, but I am a little concerned about bringing home the 10, mainly because the enclosed trailer has hardly any tie-down points! I have hauled a lot of motorcycles so I have a lot of straps, but you have to have something to strap them too!

Shep

bibletec

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 06:26:44 PM »
Good Luck Shep keep us posted! I am excited that your business has grown to the point that you need a new roaster.We will be following the thread. :)

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
Interesting business point: every small business owner I know seems to be suffering under the current economy. I have been asked many times how mine is doing. Since my business is so young, it really had nowhere to go but up! Although I am seeing a growth in a new market area for me, office coffee, I did see a pretty dramatic drop in grocery sales in the past 30 days. I talked to some of the people in one of the stores and they confirmed that they have noticed a significant drop in their product sales (not just coffee) in the past 30 days. Great time to upgrade, huh?

Just got back from lunch on the beach at Sloppy Joe's. Blackened Grouper sandwich...excellent!

Shep

Pyment

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 11:13:20 AM »
Great time to upgrade, huh?

Maybe this will give you a chance to learn any adjustments you need to make on the 10K.

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 05:48:51 PM »
True. Right now I am worried about getting the ducting in place quickly. I thought I might be able to talk the other roaster out of his, but it seems he plans to adapt it to the smaller roaster. This means I am going to have to scramble when I get home to get some ducting figured out and purchased.

I just picked up a new office coffee account that could, with a little luck, become huge. The office has about 100 people who think they will consume at least 80 pounds a month. The real potential lies in the fact that the entire facility employs over 4,000 people. I am hoping for some spillover!

Shep

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 05:11:38 AM »
On my way to pick up the roaster!

Shep