Author Topic: Roaster Upgrade Blog  (Read 4007 times)

bibletec

Re: Roaster Upgrade Blog
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2008, 05:27:31 AM »
I hope you will give us some details on the learning curve. It may be helpful to others that move up in the size of their roaster. I would also be interested in the different features of the larger roaster compared to your ym2. Do you have any plans for computer programs to help in profiling your roast? 

Offline shep

• Standard User
Re: Roaster Upgrade Blog
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »
I have done about 6 roasts now, including a 5 lb batch of decaf that came out very good. In fact, I was pretty impressed with the ability I had to control this roast. Normally, I shoot for an equilibrium point of 150 degrees. I was just guessing on the 5lb batch (this is part of the learning curve!) and overshot that number by quite a bit (closer to 200 degrees!). However, with a little flame control, I was able to complete the roast in the time frame that I was originally shooting for. I believe there is much more control with this larger machine than in a small one...that is a good thing! On the other hand, if you screw up, you lose a lot of coffee...that is a bad thing!

I hope to get all of my ducting ordered tomorrow. As soon as all is correct, I will take some action photos.

The controls on my machine are almost identical to the YM2 that I had. The 10 kilo is one year older than my 2 and it only had a simple half or full gas control, limiting control, especially for small batches. MY 2 kilo had  a control knob much like a gas grill, which allowed you to turn the flame from a high of 13 columns of pressure all the way down to 2 columns (propane #s). While I was in Florida I had Don upgrade the 10 kilo so that it has the greater control. Well worth it.

One other difference is the fact that the 2 kilo only has one motor to control air flow. You can either direct it all to the drum or partially to the drum and the cooling tray. The 10 has separate motors for each operation. When you cool the beans, you turn on the second motor. Again, more control. Also, the trier is much larger, allowing you to actually get a decent sample of what you are roasting. The site glass is also larger. It is a beautiful machine and I really enjoy seeing 10-15 pounds or roasted coffee spinning in the cooling tray!

The machine seems much more "industrial" than the 2 kilo and, as a result, is quite a bit louder. When the flame catches it sounds like a jet engine firing up! One of the great things about these machines is that when you begin to take them apart for maintenance, you realize that they are pretty simple in design. Comforting if you are not an engineer!

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion